Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2015, 04:30 PM

1,359 posts, read 4,851,605 times

Advertisements

The Disneyland measles outbreak is what finally caused them to pass the immunization law. The previous exemption basically meant that as long as you had "personal beliefs" paperwork on file, you didn't have to vaccinate your kids and could send them to school. Now you have to get a doctor to sign off that there is a medical reason, although I imagine that can still be a loophole but at least it makes it a little more difficult.

The interesting thing is, only two other states have immunization laws this strict--Mississippi and West Virginia, both not exactly known for "big government."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2015, 05:55 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,419,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidt1 View Post
Politicians come and go. Bureaucracies, on the other hand, stay forever. The real power and decision making belong to those who work for the bureaucracies. And they have a lot to do with why this state is the way it is. Laws are passed to benefit them and their pocket. Make no mistakes about this.
I own a businesses in CA and TN. A federal law dealing with storm water discharge is applied in both States. Both locations have no problems and meet the standards (No external storage). In TN they tell me (Simple phone call and you get right through to a person) if that is the case you do not need to file. In CA they say (Note no way on earth to get someone on the phone without a huge wait and jumping through a lot of hoops) file and pay $1450.00 and then they will say it is OK. For years no requirement in CA and now ....they want money.

Old 08-19-2015, 06:00 PM

12,287 posts, read 9,832,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by e_cuyler View Post
The Disneyland measles outbreak is what finally caused them to pass the immunization law. The previous exemption basically meant that as long as you had "personal beliefs" paperwork on file, you didn't have to vaccinate your kids and could send them to school. Now you have to get a doctor to sign off that there is a medical reason, although I imagine that can still be a loophole but at least it makes it a little more difficult.

The interesting thing is, only two other states have immunization laws this strict--Mississippi and West Virginia, both not exactly known for "big government."
That is the perfect example.

An event occurred and then was used to change policy and restrict rights in another areas that is loosely related but pushes the agenda forward.

Old 08-19-2015, 07:30 PM

1,359 posts, read 4,851,605 times
I didn't know there was an inalienable "right" to endanger the public.

Old 08-19-2015, 08:11 PM

4,156 posts, read 5,569,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shooting4life View Post
That is the perfect example.

An event occurred and then was used to change policy and restrict rights in another areas that is loosely related but pushes the agenda forward.
I'm not a fan of allowing pharma a hall pass to pump mercury unnecessarily into our kids, but the same crowd castigating liberals (inaccurately) for not immunizing their kids are now using mandatory immunization to castigate...liberals. There was thread on this very board to that effect.

We live in the largest state with high population density. There are more human transactions of almost all levels. We are going to have more laws, and we are going to have more people ******** about them.

Old 08-20-2015, 12:19 AM

962 posts, read 631,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
Well since you're in Illinois, can you explain why it is corrupt? You have now what 2 or 3 Governors go to jail, Chicago has become a very dangerous city. What do you average every weekend for murders, about 30 or so?
Right now, it's corrupt because our new governor who took office in my state in November 2014 is cutting so many funds left and right, and businesses are losing money and some places are going out of business and laying off. Long story short, the state is losing money because of a new governor.

Chicago has a high murder rate, but it's not the murder capital. No, they don't get 30 murders every weekend. That has to be a joke, right? No city I've ever heard of, has that many; that would amount to almost 1500 murders in a year, and probably more if you count the crimes that occur on weekdays. The crime rate in Chicago has actually gone down a little in the last 5 years or so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Setchel View Post
Don't know anything about the kindergarten laws. I won't comment on it.
A kindergarten cutoff works like this for those of you who are confused: you have to be 5 to go to kindergarten and start school. Most states set a deadline where the child must turn 5 or else he has to wait until next year. That deadline used to be December 2nd. But now it's September 1st. This does not do anything to help because children who are ready to start school, in that three month window, now can't start school and having them stay home for another year won't help very much: Earlier cutoff date to enter kindergarten a step closer in California - latimes

There are a couple of other states too, as recently as 5 years ago that allowed additional time to turn 5 in the school year, as late as December of the school year, but even they have moved them up.

In the past, this was one of few things that California allowed leniency for - they were one of the few states with a later deadline to turn 5 in school, and one of the reasons they allowed it was because some parents couldn't afford another year of child care. Connecticut also has a later deadline (January 1) for the same reason. This change will likely add another problem to the already high cost of living here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Setchel View Post
On the school days post, yes. Sometimes the laws get really oddball and the wrong people suffer/are blamed for it. Your example I would agree is ridiculous. On the other hand some laws seem stupid, but have a strong and good reason for being in place. And with over 38 million people across over 160,000 square miles of land, you need a lot of laws to cover a lot of what ifs that other states will rarely, if ever, face.
This is what happened when a school made a minor mistake although they did not get too little education in a school year but the arrangement was a big deal, this happened a few years ago: Kids lose their summer break due to impenetrable bureaucratic mess - Boing Boing

Last edited by It is 57 below zero; 08-20-2015 at 01:30 AM..

Old 08-20-2015, 01:37 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,419,826 times
Quote:
Was the person or persons who spread the disease at Disneyland a citizen whose parents refused it or .................

Old 08-21-2015, 11:59 AM

13,561 posts, read 10,370,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post

Like I said, the fact that California regulates a lot of stuff more heavily than a lot of other states isn't a big secret. Maybe you don't like the OP bringing up examples over and over again, but in the grand scheme of things, this is an accurate assessment of the CA legal landscape. Maybe that doesn't bother you, but it does bother other people. And I personally think the steady loss of civil liberties should bother all of us (and I'm not saying it's just liberals doing it btw).
You will find regulatory regimes vary widely in local municipalities. It's not really a political ideological thing - varies by community.

San Marino, CA - is a very affluent community that is known for its restrictive ordinances, and they are very open and upfront about it. It's also traditionally been politically conservative as well.

Old 08-21-2015, 03:13 PM

2,645 posts, read 3,334,342 times
Quote:
^^ This. I find most people griping about their "rights" are upset because they don't have the "right" to endanger themselves and their children, be a nuisance to everyone around them, rape the land of resources, pollute the environment and kill things. No one ever complains that they were trying to do something GOOD but a pesky law wouldn't let them.

Old 08-26-2015, 06:57 PM

962 posts, read 631,917 times
It took a while for me to think about this one: California does not allow local city ordinances to put a cap on the number of people living in a house. Some cities have tried to reduce house overcrowding but it does not become effective because California requires only 120 square feet for the first two people and 50 square feet for each other person, and that's a LOT of people. This happens frequently because of the high cost of living in most of the state.

As a result of this one, landlords aren't even allowed to set limits on the number of people who can live in a house or an apartment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California