Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2015, 01:15 AM

9,197 posts, read 16,843,125 times

Advertisements

In-n-Out Burger

(Oh, there we go bringing up that old horse again...)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2015, 05:51 PM

7,372 posts, read 16,015,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdumbgod View Post
In-n-Out Burger

(Oh, there we go bringing up that old horse again...)
Is THAT what they're serving?

Old 08-20-2015, 10:51 PM

123 posts, read 175,497 times
I think the Golden Gate Bridge and the Hollywood Sign are internationally recognizable symbols of California. If I had to choose one, I'd go with the Golden gate because of it's spectacular setting and its incredible visibility.

Old 08-21-2015, 03:34 AM

2,436 posts, read 2,794,827 times
Some people here are letting their personal feelings and irrelevant facts distract from the point of this thread.

To answer the question, the Hollywood sign and the Golden Gate Bridge are arguably California's most well-known landmarks. Oh, and I believe more people could recognize the Santa Monica Pier before Half Dome.

Old 08-21-2015, 07:32 AM

631 posts, read 749,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theraven24 View Post
Some people here are letting their personal feelings and irrelevant facts distract from the point of this thread.

To answer the question, the Hollywood sign and the Golden Gate Bridge are arguably California's most well-known landmarks. Oh, and I believe more people could recognize the Santa Monica Pier before Half Dome.
Things that Californians actually believe.

Half-Dome, Goldengate, and the Hollywood sign are probably the only things people would instantly recognize.

Old 08-21-2015, 11:02 AM

2,436 posts, read 2,794,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingdomkz View Post
Things that Californians actually believe.

Half-Dome, Goldengate, and the Hollywood sign are probably the only things people would instantly recognize.
Your first sentence is incomplete. What exactly are you trying to say?

You forgot the Santa Monica Pier.

Old 08-21-2015, 02:20 PM

631 posts, read 749,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theraven24 View Post
Your first sentence is incomplete. What exactly are you trying to say?

You forgot the Santa Monica Pier.

The irony of this hurts too much, I can't take it anymore. You must be trolling.

Old 08-21-2015, 02:24 PM

3,874 posts, read 4,697,874 times
Without a doubt it's the Golden Gate Bridge.
In 2nd place, & a strong 2nd at that, is the Hollywood Sign.

Old 08-21-2015, 02:57 PM

6,230 posts, read 3,609,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NativeOrange View Post
I think some of you are confusing recognition with beauty. I'm not saying the GGB is not California's true landmark, I just think you're severely downplaying the Hollywood sign.
I agree completely. This doesn't have to do with engineering, number of tourists from outside the US, or what someone who already lives here finds personally beautiful. Of all the things mentioned, if you were to show pictures of them to the average American--who is not jet-setting around the world or climbing mountains or can name the top architects of the 20th century--the Hollywood sign would be the most recognizable. The GGB would be an extremely close second, but I honestly believe there are dodos out there who would recognize the bridge but not be able to tell you what city/state it's in. (Remember those people on the "Jay walking" segment of The Tonight Show and some of the dumdums interviewed walking down the street on Jimmy Kimmel?) That would almost never happen with the Hollywood sign.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California