Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2015, 01:28 PM

9,519 posts, read 14,743,972 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJT123 View Post
Go back to Europe. If you can't afford to tip your server 20% as part of your restaurant bill, you aren't worth even talking to.

People DEPEND on tips to make a living; I know, as I used to do this while working my way through college.

If you wanna be cheap and stingy bc everything is expensive here, I understand, but don't stiff your server for it.

Seriously.
^^^^^^^^^^^^WHAT HE SAID and said well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2015, 04:18 PM

8,704 posts, read 11,118,572 times
I would only tip 20% at a very top notch place with top notch active service.
At an average restaurant 12-15%
At a minimal service place (counter order type)...couple of bucks max.

Old 08-15-2015, 07:34 PM

3,887 posts, read 4,540,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oh come on! View Post
If you're paying an extra 20% on your food, you're paying too much in CA, considering the waitstaff makes at least $9/hour doing nothing but sticking to their job description, which is to
1. bring your food and
2. not mix up your order.

Satisfying these requirements is not considered "outstanding."

If you think they did an outstanding job, you should compare it to how you are treated in non-tipped countries, and then reevaluate whether you truly got outstanding service.

Even though I see so many bored-annoyed-looking waitstaff, I would not consider a smile on the face to be outstanding service either.
Serving can be very stressful and it's hard work. (Been sent to physical therapy on more than one occasion! Tennis elbow, carpal tunnel, shoulder injury) I've worked on and off part time in restaurants most of my adult life, and I've seen a few servers literately flee in tears in busy restaurants over the years.

People who've worked this job know how it is. But as a server, I don't automatically leave 20 percent if the server is poor or mediocre. Also because of my experience, I know if a server is doing all they can within a rotten situation like being understaffed, or an unusually large crowd comes in so I'll still be generous. But on occasion I'll come across a real brat with a rotten attitude, and they have no business working in service. No mercy for them!

Old 08-16-2015, 11:20 PM

12,287 posts, read 9,820,687 times
As minimum wage goes up the amount I tip goes down. How I tip in certain cities with high minimum wage laws is different than others.
I used to wait tables when I was younger btw. It isn't a hard job as long as you can keep things straight in your head and anticipate needs. I was good at what I did because I have a very logical mind in the sense of processes.

Old 08-17-2015, 01:17 AM

1,763 posts, read 2,047,091 times
Did California do the right thing by requiring waitstaff to be paid a base salary of $9/hour?
I'd like to think the increasing restaurant food prices I'm paying for go toward the guaranteed base salary of the waitstaff.

Do you think a waiter's job is worth more than the McD's burger flipper who has to manage 20 patties at a time without burning them during peak hours?
I see those guys hustle during lunch/dinner hours.

If tips did not exist, and if you had to negotiate a base salary, how much do you think waitering is worth per hour?

It's not an issue of being cheap. I just think waiting tables is but a minimum wage job, and if the law guarantees the same minimum wage as non-tipped workers, that should be your only expectation.
If waiters expect to be paid more, then the fairest solution is for restaurant owners to raise food prices, and then waiters should negotiate higher wages with the owners. Those who get the best customer feedback get higher wages.

Last edited by oh come on!; 08-17-2015 at 01:36 AM..

Old 08-17-2015, 09:23 AM

1,596 posts, read 2,058,730 times
When it comes to food, I always tip. It's the civilized thing to do. If you can't afford to tip, or are too mean to tip, make your own food.

Old 08-17-2015, 09:41 AM

3,437 posts, read 3,286,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MItoBH View Post
When it comes to food, I always tip. It's the civilized thing to do. If you can't afford to tip, or are too mean to tip, make your own food.
obviously only in America tipping is the norm. do you mean to say other countries are not civilized because they don't tip or tipping is not required?

Old 08-17-2015, 10:43 AM

6,416 posts, read 8,277,565 times
not true at all. plenty of other countries practice tipping, just not in most Europe countries.

Old 08-17-2015, 11:57 AM

1,596 posts, read 2,058,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by payutenyodagimas View Post
obviously only in America tipping is the norm. do you mean to say other countries are not civilized because they don't tip or tipping is not required?

Obviously as an American and commenting in a thread about CALIFORNIA, my comments are about tipping in CALIFORNIA and it is being civilized to tip for good service!!!!!

Old 08-17-2015, 07:27 PM

81 posts, read 292,976 times
This topic isn't really about the merits of tipping vs not tipping even though the discussion has strayed that way. The question by the OP boils down to: should people tip waiters the same percentage in states that require minimum wage for waitstaff compared to states that don't require a minimum wage? For example, do you use the same tipping scale for waitstaff in Washington State who make $9.47 an hour compared to waitstaff in New Jersey who make $2.13 an hour?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California