Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2015, 10:08 PM

5,888 posts, read 12,936,319 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by shooting4life View Post
You are wrong.
I stand corrected

Quote:
Originally Posted by shooting4life View Post
I can't help you if you think waiting tables is hard, it really isn't.
It was pretty brutal... I vowed that after I graduated, that I would never work food service (or drink cheap beer) again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2015, 10:29 PM

8,704 posts, read 11,041,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
bunch of cheap az folk on this thread. Who believe wait people should stay poor and not make decent living cuz they don't want to leave a tip on their $120-$160 dinner. Shame on you!!

Don't eat out if you don't want to support the restaurant staff.

Thats a bit of a jump from reasonable tipping to keeping wait people poor! lol

How about the restaurant support the wait staff!

Old 08-18-2015, 10:42 PM

9,963 posts, read 18,422,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDF View Post
The tipping culture in the US in general is pretty messed up.
Tipping should incentivize good service. Even in Europe it is OK to tip if you really enjoy the moment.

Old 08-18-2015, 10:46 PM

2,536 posts, read 9,899,715 times
You know, I was a server once a long time ago and it sucks. Unless the service was downright rude and abhorrent, I always tip 20% and usually a round up a bit at that. I can afford it, why not? It's a nice thing to do, if nothing else...

Old 08-18-2015, 10:52 PM

12,287 posts, read 9,765,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thepinksquid View Post
You know, I was a server once a long time ago and it sucks. Unless the service was downright rude and abhorrent, I always tip 20% and usually a round up a bit at that. I can afford it, why not? It's a nice thing to do, if nothing else...
I could use an extra $20, it is the nice thing to do after all.

Old 08-20-2015, 03:05 AM

9,197 posts, read 16,764,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach50 View Post
it is OK to tip if you really enjoy the moment.
We're still talking about restaurants here, right?

Old 08-20-2015, 11:42 AM

1,886 posts, read 2,079,119 times
Anyone complaining about how difficult it is to wait tables is a joke.

In my high school years I waited tables for $3/hr + tips. Not a fancy place by any means...just a 60-seat hole-in-the-wall where 10-15% gratuity was the norm. At the end of the night I averaged $25-30/hr. Pretty fantastic pay for a 16 yr old who simply translated customer speak into a notecard and carried porcelain back to the table. Based on the number of waitstaff jobs available and the virtually nonexistent prerequisites I would say waiting tables is d*mn easy money.

At the same time I would never advise not to tip for good service. There are a lot of good eggs out there just looking to do a good job and earn a little bit extra for their efforts.

Old 08-20-2015, 12:47 PM

6,399 posts, read 8,223,496 times
Waiting tables isn't all that difficult but it IS tiring, frustrating, repetitive, mundane, and emotionally draining. I was in the restaurant industry for about 10 years, putting myself through school, and it's something that really chipped away at my soul the longer I did it. I sat through meetings for a few hours yesterday, doing absolutely no work, and I thought to myself how lucky I was to be able to sit on my ass for a few hours making 2-3x would I'd make in a typical shift 8 hour shift at a restaurant, running around like a chicken with my head cut off. Some of you either didn't wait tables for very long or have never done it in your life. Try doing it for 5+ years, without many days off, while going to school full time. Better yet, try doing it for 50-60 hours a week like some people do who are trying to support families and keep food on the table. I'll bet a lot of you would change your tune. While it's nice that servers are making $15/hr in some cities, that might have enabled me to work a few days less a week MAX. It's not like I'd be taking trips to Europe or buying a fancy car or anything.

Old 08-20-2015, 01:57 PM

77,772 posts, read 104,081,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by V8 Vega View Post
When Min. wage hits $15 all tips stop. Actually when its at $12.
nope, even at $9 an hour, workers should not expect a 20% tip. Think about it: your bill, for 2 people is $50.00 Mr/Ms wait person is paid $9 an hour, with 4 to 6 tables to handle: $50 per table, $20 tip per table plus wages: where can the average person with little or no education make that kind of money? I wish I could make it and was young enough to go back to work. I do tip, in fact we tip pretty nicely but I would be more inclined to stick with about 10% if I thought the wages were $9 or more per hour.

Old 08-20-2015, 02:34 PM

6,399 posts, read 8,223,496 times
you're forgetting that most servers have to tip out a pretty substantial percentage of tips to bus boys, hostess, and sometimes even the kitchen, depending on the place.

you may make over $100 in tips during an average 8 hour shift, but most of the time you'll walk with less than $100 because you've tipped out like $20-$30 to the support staff
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California