Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2015, 09:55 PM

5,818 posts, read 2,647,552 times

Advertisements

A co-worker told me he drove 135MPH flat out all over the freeways here, flat out, for like 50-75 miles in the middle of the night. Circled the whole SoCal area bascially.

Wow, what a rush, but I told him politely that he's lucky he's not sitting in jail, with a god-only-knows-how-high bail price, awaiting trial where he would do some LEGIT time in PRISON for that.

I'm just specualting. I don't know all the laws here, but we all know they're DEFINITELY stricter.

I'm not a lawyer or a cop but with EVERYTHING one could be charged with if a cop catches you pulling a stunt like that, I don't even know where to begin.

I would say at the end of the day, you may go to PRISON for that (assuming a super high $ lawyer can't do anything).

Am I right/wrong?

Legal AND financial consequences. I can't even imagine how much a big-wig lawyer would cost, and just how much $ you'd be out at the end of the day after all is said and done.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2015, 09:59 PM

9,639 posts, read 5,988,897 times
What exactly are you asking?

Yes, you're friend would get arrested if a cop caught him. 25 over they can do that.

Depending on his history, he could end up just bailing out.

My brother was caught doing more than 25 over and while not arrested, received a $600 ticket.

Old 08-16-2015, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordSquidworth View Post
What exactly are you asking?

Yes, you're friend would get arrested if a cop caught him. 25 over they can do that.

Depending on his history, he could end up just bailing out.

My brother was caught doing more than 25 over and while not arrested, received a $600 ticket.

Right, 25 over is one thing. Just a speeding ticket if I'm reading you right?

But this was 130MPH, weaving in and out of cars, basically just annihilating the freeways here (which admittedly does sound fun, though I'd NEVER do it).

I'm just curious, basically, if getting caught doing that would pretty much ruin your life.

I would say time in prison, or at least A LOT of county time.

Rekcless driving, reck. endangerment, speeding (obviously), etc. I bet a cop could have charged him with like a laundry list (and some felonies I would imagine).

But I'm not a lawyer nor cop, which is why I'm asking any of you guys on here who are.

Old 08-16-2015, 10:31 PM

9,639 posts, read 5,988,897 times
25+ over is criminal speeding.

It's up to the cop really.

My brother was doing 25 over. The cop could have arrested him and impounded the car. He choose not to.

Someone doing 50+ over is certainly getting arrested. Judge is unlikely to care to hear a story from him.

Old 08-16-2015, 10:41 PM

8,375 posts, read 7,585,397 times
What concerns me is that it sounds like your co-worker was bragging about doing this. That suggests that this won't be the last time he does this.

There's a word for people who do stupid, dangerous stunts like this repeatedly: dead.

Sadly, other people also often end up hurt and dead too.

Old 08-16-2015, 10:46 PM

764 posts, read 2,028,240 times
Forget about jail. He's lucky he's not dead, along with numerous victims.

(If his story is even true, which I doubt...)

Old 08-16-2015, 10:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordSquidworth View Post
25+ over is criminal speeding.

Someone doing 50+ over is certainly getting arrested. Judge is unlikely to care to hear a story from him.
Lol, yep. That's what I'm asking with anyone with legal expertise, etc. just how much of a stunt like that would ruin your life if caught.

Old 08-16-2015, 10:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RosieSD View Post
What concerns me is that it sounds like your co-worker was bragging about doing this. That suggests that this won't be the last time he does this.

There's a word for people who do stupid, dangerous stunts like this repeatedly: dead.

Sadly, other people also often end up hurt and dead too.
Yep. He was bragging. I told him he's an idiot. This is simply someone I work with, not a friend, just btw.

He thought it was ok bc of the light traffic.

Old 08-17-2015, 11:02 AM

9,519 posts, read 14,684,212 times
When he kills someone I hope he spends the rest of his life in prison. I don't like sharing the road with idiots.

Old 08-17-2015, 11:09 AM

600 posts, read 821,383 times
What kind of car was he using to go 135mph ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California