Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-01-2015, 06:52 PM

1 posts, read 3,494 times

Advertisements

I rented an older all electric house for almost 9 years in California. The house had dryer hookups but no vent to properly evacuate the moist air from the house. The landlord knew this. We literally had to open doors and windows and let it blow thru the house. When we moved out the walls behind our couches, fridge, entertainment center, window framing, etc had mold. The landlord will not refund any of my deposit and said he needed 17 gallons of paint and primer for the inside of a small 2 bedroom house. Is the landlord responsible for the mold because there was no vent? Can I fight for my deposit because of that or is he in the right? Please help! Thanks
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2015, 06:57 PM

12,973 posts, read 15,719,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs Detroit View Post
I rented an older all electric house for almost 9 years. The house had dryer hookups but no vent to properly evacuate the moist air from the house. The landlord knew this. We literally had to open doors and windows and let it blow thru the house. When we moved out the walls behind our couches, fridge, entertainment center, window framing, etc had mold. The landlord will not refund any of my deposit and said he needed 17 gallons of paint and primer for the inside of a small 2 bedroom house. Is the landlord responsible for the mold because there was no vent? Can I fight for my deposit because of that or is he in the right? Please help! Thanks
You win virtually anywhere. Check out the local laws and then take him to small claims court. I expect in CA you may be able to collect mutiple damages.

Have fun.

By the way it is dumb to live in a house with no exhaust on the dryer. Either fix it or move next time. Not excusing the LL but the tenant should not go brain dead for being a tenant.

Old 09-01-2015, 06:58 PM

102,063 posts, read 106,870,458 times
Sounds like the house isn't up to code. You could make a deal with the LL that you won't report him to inspectors if he drops the charges for damage that's his fault in the first place. You should never have put up with that situation. It's not that hard to vent a dryer.

Old 09-02-2015, 04:47 PM
jw2

2,028 posts, read 3,250,064 times
There are ventless dryers. They dry by condensation and the excess moisture goes out the drain line or into a drip pan. The landlord should have advised that only ventless dryers should be used

Old 09-02-2015, 08:37 PM

42,717 posts, read 25,880,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs Detroit View Post
I rented an older all electric house for almost 9 years in California. The house had dryer hookups but no vent to properly evacuate the moist air from the house. The landlord knew this. We literally had to open doors and windows and let it blow thru the house. When we moved out the walls behind our couches, fridge, entertainment center, window framing, etc had mold. The landlord will not refund any of my deposit and said he needed 17 gallons of paint and primer for the inside of a small 2 bedroom house. Is the landlord responsible for the mold because there was no vent? Can I fight for my deposit because of that or is he in the right? Please help! Thanks
Take him to small claims court: Here's what the State of California has to say about paint:
3. Repainting walls One approach for determining the amount that the landlord can deduct from the tenant's security deposit for repainting, when repainting is necessary, is based on the length of the tenant's stay in the rental unit. This approach assumes that interior paint has a two-year life. (Some landlords assume that interior paint has a life of three years or more.)
Length of stay
2 or more years --no deduction
Using this approach, if the tenant lived in the rental unit for two years or more, the tenant could not be charged for any repainting costs, no matter how dirty the walls were.

Old 09-02-2015, 08:39 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,096 posts, read 80,136,113 times
There is also the Indoor Lint Trap, made for dryers without vents. They are quite common in condos, especially in cold inter climates. For the cheap price, it would have been worth buying one when you moved in, to avoid this problem, then take it with you when you moved.

Indoor Lint Trap Filter

Old 09-02-2015, 08:42 PM

28,107 posts, read 63,385,620 times
Who installed the dryer?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California