Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2015, 09:30 AM

42,850 posts, read 26,268,189 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by shooting4life View Post
Being released isn't based on the sheriff's department desire to keep criminals, it is based on court sentencing. Most of the court sentencing and thus release is dictated either by statute, like prop 47 or local courts deciding to be soft on crime, usually this happens in big counties like SF, LA, etc.
That's incorrect; for years LA County jail has released sentenced offenders after doing 5% or 10% of their sentence, actually prop 47 has reduced overcrowding to the point where serious offenders are now doing 100% of their sentenced time:
Quote:
"A huge drop in the Los Angeles County jail population has allowed officials to require the most serious offenders to serve 100 percent of their sentences - up from 40 percent - and other offenders are serving 90 percent, up from 10 percent."]A huge drop in the Los Angeles County jail population has allowed officials to require the most serious offenders to serve 100 percent of their sentences - up from 40 percent - and other offenders are serving 90 percent, up from 10 percent. Serious offenders in LA County prisons now serving 100 percent of their sentences | 89.3 KPCC
And here's a story of how it was before prop 47:
"LAX stowaway freed from jail after serving only 3 days of 6-month term"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2015, 10:12 AM

12,287 posts, read 9,820,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
That's incorrect; for years LA County jail has released sentenced offenders after doing 5% or 10% of their sentence, actually prop 47 has reduced overcrowding to the point where serious offenders are now doing 100% of their sentenced time:

And here's a story of how it was before prop 47:
"LAX stowaway freed from jail after serving only 3 days of 6-month term"
The jail doesn't determine when someone is released, the court does.

The jail just does as they are told, holds people when court says to hold them, releases them when the court says to release them.

Prop 47 reduced the length of sentences and converted many crimes from felonies to misdemeanors (which also reduced sentences).

Old 10-27-2015, 10:32 AM

Quote:
The jail doesn't determine when someone is released, the court does.
The jail just does as they are told, holds people when court says to hold them, releases them when the court says to release them. Prop 47 reduced the length of sentences and converted many crimes from felonies to misdemeanors (which also reduced sentences).
You are parroting the exact same thing that you already said. Please try to understand this:
  • For several years LA County jail has been releasing prisoners who have only served 5-10% of their sentence

• Prop 47 has reduced overcrowding the LA county jail so that sentenced offenders are now serving 100% of their time

I gave you sources for both of those FACTS. please either dispute them with verifiable data of your own, or let's move on to another subject.

Old 10-27-2015, 11:43 AM

Quote:
You are parroting the exact same thing that you already said. Please try to understand this:
  • For several years LA County jail has been releasing prisoners who have only served 5-10% of their sentence

• Prop 47 has reduced overcrowding the LA county jail so that sentenced offenders are now serving 100% of their time

I gave you sources for both of those FACTS. please either dispute them with verifiable data of your own, or let's move on to another subject.
You really just don't understand how the criminal justice system works.

The jail doesn't determine release, I have first hand knowledge of how the court and the jail interact to determine who is released and who is housed and it isn't the jail determining to release someone. The court system determine who is released and at what time and then the jail releases them pursuant to court order.

Old 10-27-2015, 03:33 PM

3,744 posts, read 4,086,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by It is 57 below zero View Post
That's some straight up laziness and nonsense. Then the police aren't doing their jobs very well.

Or y'all need to hire some more police officers. Detroit has a police shortage and probably the highest crime rate in the nation. They could definitely use some more staff. Chicago could, too.

This proves that California's not getting its priorities straight. Or if they are, their top priorities aren't anything important. Well as you said, at LEAST they respond quickly to anything involving a firearm, or children. Property crimes count, too, and having a house broken into should also be at the top of the list.

Being told to go online and make a report? Please. By the time the police get to it, the criminals would be harder to catch if so much time passes, unless they can find enough evidence or witnesses.
Thats called allocation of resources
Burglary reports go to crime analysis.. which then catalogs data on them.. which is then distributed to patrol... there are few "first timers" ..usually a burglar ,when caught,will clear a number of burgs... now "hot prowl" burgs will get fast immediate response

What can you do to prevent that burglary.. simple.. lock up... use all the deterrents you can.. dogs alarms motion activated devices.. cameras.. and neighbors.. if you are burglarized and there are obvious prints.. preserve them.. ask for a tech to process.. they can only say no.. if they do.. call the detective bureau.. tell them you have prints.. speak to the detective handling that area...

AFIS.. the automatic fingerprint identifier will catch anyone who has been arrested before
Daytime burgs.. kids and dopers
Night time burgs... professionals and dangerous people

Old 10-27-2015, 04:59 PM

Quote:
You really just don't understand how the criminal justice system works.
The jail doesn't determine release, I have first hand knowledge of how the court and the jail interact to determine who is released and who is housed and it isn't the jail determining to release someone. The court system determine who is released and at what time and then the jail releases them pursuant to court order.
I know more about the CJ system than you may think, and you are wrong. LASO has released sentenced inmates who have done 5-10% of their time for the past several years.

Men convicted of nonviolent crimes are generally freed after serving as little as 20% of the time they had left in jail after their sentencing hearings. That's in addition to credits under state law that mean most inmates already serve only half of their sentences. Women convicted of nonviolent crimes are generally freed after serving 10%. Men and women convicted of certain serious crimes, including robbery, assault with a deadly weapon and misdemeanor child molestation, are released after serving as little as 40% of their remaining terms

How much time will I actually serve in an LA County jail?” This is one of the most common questions asked by someone facing time in a Los Angeles County Jail. Before the passage of Prop 47, the answer was generally “about 10% for non-violent crimes.” That meant that on a 180 day sentence for a non-violent offense, you would be sentenced to serve 90 actual days (LA county jail inmates usually get 1 day credit for 1 day served). Due to overcrowding, the Sheriff’s department would release inmates after only doing about 10% of the time. So that meant of the actual 90 days, the defendant would only serve about 9 days.

I was over-detained in the jail. People sentenced to a year or less serve between 10 and 15 percent of their sentence, and at that point I had been there around 18 percent. They had also transferred me to a jail where no one was "county" (less than a year) but me. None of the deputies would listen to me and I started to feel like something was very wrong. I wrote this note in the hopes that it would get someone's attention and get me out of the jail. It worked.

Men convicted of nonviolent crimes are generally freed after serving as little as 20% of the time they had left in jail after their sentencing hearings. That's in addition to credits under state law that mean most inmates already serve only half of their sentences. Women convicted of nonviolent crimes are generally freed after serving 10%. Men and women convicted of certain serious crimes, including robbery, assault with a deadly weapon and misdemeanor child molestation, are released after serving as little as 40% of their remaining terms

In Los Angeles County, with a quarter of California's jail population, male inmates often are released after serving as little as 10% of their sentences and female prisoners after 5%

Old 10-27-2015, 06:51 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,395,091 times
Quote:
I know more about the CJ system than you may think, and you are wrong. LASO has released sentenced inmates who have done 5-10% of their time for the past several years.

How much time will I actually serve in an LA County jail?” This is one of the most common questions asked by someone facing time in a Los Angeles County Jail. Before the passage of Prop 47, the answer was generally “about 10% for non-violent crimes.” That meant that on a 180 day sentence for a non-violent offense, you would be sentenced to serve 90 actual days (LA county jail inmates usually get 1 day credit for 1 day served). Due to overcrowding, the Sheriff’s department would release inmates after only doing about 10% of the time. So that meant of the actual 90 days, the defendant would only serve about 9 days.

I was over-detained in the jail. People sentenced to a year or less serve between 10 and 15 percent of their sentence, and at that point I had been there around 18 percent. They had also transferred me to a jail where no one was "county" (less than a year) but me. None of the deputies would listen to me and I started to feel like something was very wrong. I wrote this note in the hopes that it would get someone's attention and get me out of the jail. It worked.

In Los Angeles County, with a quarter of California's jail population, male inmates often are released after serving as little as 10% of their sentences and female prisoners after 5%
And in the majority of cases, the perp has learned that the punishment does not fit the crime, so he does it again as it doesn't scare him. Some learn but most don't. Ask yourself if you would do anything wrong if the minimum term was 5 years and no lowering of the sentence?

Old 10-27-2015, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post
And in the majority of cases, the perp has learned that the punishment does not fit the crime, so he does it again as it doesn't scare him. Some learn but most don't. Ask yourself if you would do anything wrong if the minimum term was 5 years and no lowering of the sentence?
Great idea!!!
In 2011 195,218 people were convicted of a felony It costs around $62,000 per inmate, per year to incarcerate an inmate in state prison in California

$62,000 per year X 5 years = $310,000
$310,000 X 195,218 offenders = $60,517,580,000
Are you prepared to pay for that?

Old 10-27-2015, 07:30 PM

Quote:

You are really missing the point. The jail isn't making the decision to release them, it is the court.

The jail doesn't have some guy sitting behind a desk determining to release prisoner 6, 23, and 47. The courts determine the sentence, when completed, the jail releases them. Sometime before the sentence is over a person gets parol or probation, as determined by the court, then the jail releases them. Determining jail time has many factors, such as time served, credit for good behavior, sentence modification because of various props, like prop 47, completion of various treatment programs, concurrent sentences , etc all impact the length of sentence.

Someone might be in custody before sentencing for a couple of weeks because they couldn't make bail. This time is usually accredited at 1.5x the time served towards the sentence. So if someone is in jail for two weeks and then gets a sentence of 3 weeks in jail they will be released at sentencing as time has been served at that point.

I know what I am talking about, trust me. I'll pm you my credentials on the subject if you are so interested.

Old 10-27-2015, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Great idea!!!
In 2011 195,218 people were convicted of a felony It costs around $62,000 per inmate, per year to incarcerate an inmate in state prison in California

$62,000 per year X 5 years = $310,000
$310,000 X 195,218 offenders = $60,517,580,000
Are you prepared to pay for that?
The better question is why we pay twice as much to house an inmate in California compared to many other states and much higher than the national average.

If it is determined that we don't want to pay to house criminals then we would be getting rid of crimes, not arresting people and then letting them go like we are with prop 47 and ab109.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California