Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What letter grade would you give the state's quality of living?
A (90-100%) 30 30.93%
B (80-89%) 19 19.59%
C (70-79%) 20 20.62%
D (60-69%) 17 17.53%
F (0-59%) 11 11.34%
Voters: 97. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2015, 11:14 PM

12,287 posts, read 9,822,024 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoriBee62 View Post
Using MLK words to equate black oppression to your little gun fetish is insulting on so many levels, you pretty much lost me with that one forever.
MLK owned various guns for self defense. He also applied for a concealed weapons permit for self defense as well. You need to brush up on your history.

Many blacks used guns to protect themselves during the civil rights movement like the deacons of defense. The deacons helped protect the freedom riders and even MLK at certain times.

Throughout history oppressors have always tried to disarms those who they wish to oppress. It has happened and is currently happening here and it has happened in various other countries with disastrous results.

I hope you take the time to educate yourself on the racist history of gun control in America instead of getting worked up over using a quote from someone who supported the 2nd amendment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2015, 03:38 AM

9,197 posts, read 16,843,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shooting4life View Post
MLK owned various guns for self defense. He also applied for a concealed weapons permit for self defense as well. You need to brush up on your history.

Many blacks used guns to protect themselves during the civil rights movement like the deacons of defense. The deacons helped protect the freedom riders and even MLK at certain times.

Throughout history oppressors have always tried to disarms those who they wish to oppress. It has happened and is currently happening here and it has happened in various other countries with disastrous results.

I hope you take the time to educate yourself on the racist history of gun control in America instead of getting worked up over using a quote from someone who supported the 2nd amendment.
So who are you aiming at these days? Who are these phantom demons who you need to blow away with your arsenal? We're not talking about history, we are talking about NOW, where you are.

Old 09-12-2015, 04:06 AM

2,645 posts, read 3,330,591 times
Quote:

Nice total dodge of the point by throwing out insults instead. Here, let me spell it out for you: What is insulting is that you think your inability to walk the streets openly carrying a loaded firearm is--in even the remotest sense--similar to racial segregation in 1950's southern America, where black men were hanged simply for being seen talking to a white woman, where people of color weren't allowed to step into white businesses, couldn't attend the same schools, and were forced to exist as second class citizens under whites for nothing other than the color of their skin. How dare you?

Really, some people would gain more sympathy for their cause if they just talked less.

Old 09-12-2015, 04:32 AM

962 posts, read 631,106 times
Quote:
Nice total dodge of the point by throwing out insults instead. Here, let me spell it out for you: What is insulting is that you think your inability to walk the streets openly carrying a loaded firearm is--in even the remotest sense--similar to racial segregation in 1950's southern America, where black men were hanged simply for being seen talking to a white woman, where people of color weren't allowed to step into white businesses, couldn't attend the same schools, and were forced to exist as second class citizens under whites for nothing other than the color of their skin. How dare you?

Really, some people would gain more sympathy for their cause if they just talked less.
So you're saying it was okay for black people to be treated like a garbage can? That's probably why black people are behind in almost everything right now, in terms of education, income, and other economy stats. No one can control what race they are when they are born. But they can control their actions. So no, racial segregation was NOT OK, and racism is still a problem today as it is. Maybe if blacks weren't bullied so much by white people, they would perform better in their lives and maybe have better education, and less crime from them.

Old 09-12-2015, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdumbgod View Post
So who are you aiming at these days? Who are these phantom demons who you need to blow away with your arsenal? We're not talking about history, we are talking about NOW, where you are.
I keep guns for two reason. Self defense and as a hobby.

Having a gun is just like having a fire extinguisher. The average 911 response time in America is 11 minutes, a lot can happen in 11 minutes. I would rather have the ability to protect myself and my family than be a victim.

Old 09-12-2015, 08:25 AM

Quote:

If that is your take away from my posts than I cannot help you.

Old 09-12-2015, 08:42 AM

Quote:
I keep guns for two reason. Self defense and as a hobby.

Having a gun is just like having a fire extinguisher. The average 911 response time in America is 11 minutes, a lot can happen in 11 minutes. I would rather have the ability to protect myself and my family than be a victim.
Except nobody's kid accidentally got murdered by a fire extinguisher. So no, it's not "just like" a fire extinguisher. A home security system would be "just like" a fire extinguisher.

Old 09-12-2015, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Except nobody's kid accidentally got murdered by a fire extinguisher. So no, it's not "just like" a fire extinguisher. A home security system would be "just like" a fire extinguisher.
A home security system is the same as a call to 911.

Guns do not murder people. Criminals murder people. Guns are used hundreds of thousands of times, if not millions, by law abiding citizens to protect thmselves and their family. The vast majority of the time this can be done without even firing a shot. Just the presence of a gun cause criminals to flee in many occasions.

Having a gun is just like having a fire extinguisher, smoke alarm or homeowners insurance. It is a tool that one hopes to never have to use in anger but is crucial in being able to protect yourself. The world can be dangerious, it is often the most dangerious to the poor, minorities, women and seniors who benefit the most from being able to protect themselves.

Speaking of children and accidental deaths, do you know a child is 100 times more likely to die in a pool than being accidentally shot by a gun?
http://scienceblogs.com/deltoid/2001...ttpoolsvsguns/

Even Gandhi thought people should be armed

Among the many misdeeds of the British rule in India, history will look upon the Act depriving a whole nation of arms as the blackest.

Last edited by shooting4life; 09-12-2015 at 08:58 AM..

Old 09-12-2015, 08:57 AM

Quote:
[A gun] is a tool that one hopes to never have to use in anger
All I can say is I'm glad I'm not living in the home of someone who makes comments like that.

Old 09-12-2015, 09:02 AM

8,342 posts, read 6,431,022 times
I have 2 loaded revolvers hidden in my house. No kids ever come here. Trouble is because of idiot Democrats I have them hidden to the point I'd probably shoor myself trying to get ahold of them, I'll move them to be still out of sight but readally avalable.
My friend and I go target shooting often so I'm familar with them
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California