Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-09-2015, 10:08 AM

82 posts, read 106,637 times

Advertisements

I am currently living in Oakland. I relocated from S. Florida after my marriage ended and was lucky to have a "soft landing"- my best friend's house. I love the culture and diversity of Oakland. I am originally from Philadelphia and it has a similar vibe and similar down-to-earth people. After the nightmare that was S. Florida it is a huge relief!

However, in about 4-6 month's my mother is moving out to CA from Florida. We will be sharing a home. She is active, in her mid-60's, in excellent health and still works about 20 hours a week. However, she hates very large cities, fears crime and she does not drive. She also wants to be as close to the beach as possible since she has lived by the water much of her life. We will be either renting a 2 bedroom apartment or 1 bedroom with den (budget for that is up to $1,800/month), or finding a 3rd person to share a 3 bedroom house (budget up to $2,300/month). We have a sweet, 45pd Australian Shepherd who is everything to me so pet-friendly is a must (and I do know that will limit us but we have pet insurance and are willing to put down a pet security deposit in the thousands if need be).

We do Not need a large place. We lived in a 900 SqFt home in FL. Really, anything over 750 StFt is OK to start out in. I will rarely be home. Some upgrades to the kitchen and flooring other than carpet would be pluses but not requirements but I can paint and scrub with the best of them.

I have spent time in Sonoma County and I think it would be the perfect place to live with my Mom. I especially liked Northeast Santa Rosa near Spring Lake. Sebastopol was great too, and close to the coast, but was just a little too small a town for me. We are looking for a good fit for both of us.
Petaluma checks all our boxes but I fear traffic to Santa Rosa (I will be working there - "off' hours but still)...and higher rents.

I Will have a car but ideally we would like to be either walking distance to stores where my Mom could find part-time work or else on a direct bus route for her. I am also in my late-30's and newly single so close-by nightlife is a big plus (doesn't have to be late-night stuff but places to hear local musicians would be nice)...close to yoga classes and somewhere to swim are also important. We are both "moderate liberals" (lol) if that matters...and some diversity in the community would be welcome.

There are things in our price range in Windsor. Would that have what we are looking for? How about Cotati? Any other towns I should check out? What are the best parts of Santa Rosa that may suit us?
I don't want to drive more than 45 minutes (with traffic) to work. Any helpful suggestions? Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2015, 05:06 PM

115 posts, read 228,023 times
I would say Santa Rosa would be your best bet...the area around Spring Lake is awesome, although I would also check out the area closer to downtown (maybe somewhere in the middle between Spring Lake and downtown). Pretty much anywhere in Santa Rosa except SW area of the city is fine to live in. Obviously the NE section is the most desirable. As for Windsor, it's definitely got a small town vibe, but feels a bit bigger/more cityish than Sebastopol. We have friends (a family with 2 small children) that live there and love it...but life there is much more centered around families so that might be something to consider. Cotati is rather similar to Sebastopol, and maybe even more "small townish." I've been living here in Santa Rosa (NE) for nearly 6 years and I really love it here. Some who come here from a big city may find it boring, but I grew up in L.A. and would much rather be in a smaller, lower-key place. There's plenty to do around here within a reasonable drive, so unless you're looking for intense nightlife you're bound to be fine here. And there's much more in the way of festivals and other daytime/weekend events that make it nice here. There's an awesome live music scene in Sonoma County as well, a bit spread out among all the cities/towns. Good luck with your decision!

Old 09-11-2015, 12:37 AM

18,813 posts, read 32,368,125 times
This makes no sense. Do you have a job in Oakland? Can you afford to just ditch your job and move wherever?

Old 09-11-2015, 02:08 AM

28,109 posts, read 63,514,055 times
Oakland is very much a collection of neighborhoods... something for just about everyone.

Alameda actually has a beach and that small town feel.

Not many beaches North unless you are thinking of along the coast... then there are plenty...

Have friends in Stinson Beach and Bodega Bay... it is very slow and laid back for the most part...

Old 09-11-2015, 05:33 PM

2,645 posts, read 3,317,755 times
Don't concern yourself with the traffic between Petaluma and Santa Rosa. It really is not a big deal, and there are a number of ways you can get between the two towns without even getting on the freeway. Up here, we don't even call it a commute if you both live and work in Sonoma County.

Santa Rosa being the largest city in Sonoma County, you will have more of the diversity you are looking for. You'll also find areas more affordable than either Windsor or Petaluma. Rohnert Park and Cotati are both reasonable and probably the most affordable. We have a heavy population of college kids here being the home of Sonoma State University.

Old 09-15-2015, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
This makes no sense. Do you have a job in Oakland? Can you afford to just ditch your job and move wherever?
Yes, I have a job in Oakland but it is a temp job. I have secured a job in Santa Rosa and am negotiating a starting date. I also have savings, as does my Mom (and she gets SS and pension).

Old 09-15-2015, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoriBee62 View Post
Don't concern yourself with the traffic between Petaluma and Santa Rosa. It really is not a big deal, and there are a number of ways you can get between the two towns without even getting on the freeway. Up here, we don't even call it a commute if you both live and work in Sonoma County.

Santa Rosa being the largest city in Sonoma County, you will have more of the diversity you are looking for. You'll also find areas more affordable than either Windsor or Petaluma. Rohnert Park and Cotati are both reasonable and probably the most affordable. We have a heavy population of college kids here being the home of Sonoma State University.
Thanks for your reply! I have heard good things about Cotati. Problem is that I can't seem to find any apartments in that particular area that accept dogs over 25 pds (My Aussie is 45 pds.) They do have more Affordable apartments but it looks like we may have to pay the extra money and live in Northeast Santa Rosa because the only apartments accepting larger dogs I have found seem to be in that area.

I can't find ANY apartments in Petaluma accepting a 45pd dog that are under $1800 a month (not even a 1 bedroom with a den/office I could sleep in). I am willing to give a couple thousand dollar security deposit and we have pet insurance... My dog is an extremely intelligent, well-trained, friendly Australian Shepherd. He would not cause damage of any type or sort and he is groomed every week.

Any idea's of potential apartments or property management companies? We could also add a 3rd person and rent a single family home up to $2,300 a month but would rather go without a roommate for now if possible... Our credit is excellent.

Old 09-15-2015, 11:37 AM

2,645 posts, read 3,317,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaireM View Post
Thanks for your reply! I have heard good things about Cotati. Problem is that I can't seem to find any apartments in that particular area that accept dogs over 25 pds (My Aussie is 45 pds.) They do have more Affordable apartments but it looks like we may have to pay the extra money and live in Northeast Santa Rosa because the only apartments accepting larger dogs I have found seem to be in that area.

I can't find ANY apartments in Petaluma accepting a 45pd dog that are under $1800 a month (not even a 1 bedroom with a den/office I could sleep in). I am willing to give a couple thousand dollar security deposit and we have pet insurance... My dog is an extremely intelligent, well-trained, friendly Australian Shepherd. He would not cause damage of any type or sort and he is groomed every week.

Any idea's of potential apartments or property management companies? We could also add a 3rd person and rent a single family home up to $2,300 a month but would rather go without a roommate for now if possible... Our credit is excellent.
I think your problem in Petaluma is price more than the dog. Being the southernmost city closest to Marin, it is going to be costlier to liver there than Rohnert Park, Cotati and Santa Rosa. Keep in mind that Rohnert Park and Cotati are pretty much one in the same city. So don't rule out RP thinking you want to stay in Cotati but not RP. It's all one big burb.

I haven't rented in years, but there is a company "Dedes Rentals" that may help you. They have been around forever and are based in Santa Rosa but work the whole county.

Good luck! And remember, as a renter, you can always relocate once you have moved here and can spend some time in the area.

Santa Rosa Property Management and Property Managers, Santa Rosa Houses and Homes for Rent

Old 09-16-2015, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoriBee62 View Post
I think your problem in Petaluma is price more than the dog. Being the southernmost city closest to Marin, it is going to be costlier to liver there than Rohnert Park, Cotati and Santa Rosa. Keep in mind that Rohnert Park and Cotati are pretty much one in the same city. So don't rule out RP thinking you want to stay in Cotati but not RP. It's all one big burb.

I haven't rented in years, but there is a company "Dedes Rentals" that may help you. They have been around forever and are based in Santa Rosa but work the whole county.

Good luck! And remember, as a renter, you can always relocate once you have moved here and can spend some time in the area.

Santa Rosa Property Management and Property Managers, Santa Rosa Houses and Homes for Rent
Thanks Lori, I will check out Dede's Rentals. Good info.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California