Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2015, 07:40 PM

11,761 posts, read 7,257,368 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by slo1318 View Post
Ive lived in each state a minimum of 18 years each. California is more diverse, it is more diverse than any other state, but thats no knock on Texas. Texas is huge, sprawling and has a lot of diversity of its own, just not quite as much.
I lived in Houston, Austin and Dallas and all 3 cites are as different from each other as San Diego, LA and SF are.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geography_of_Texas

The point I am trying to make is that some CA folks have this narrow unrealistic view of Texas being one big homogeneous flat dry or humid barren land full of tumble weed. It's simply not accurate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2015, 08:54 PM

8,704 posts, read 11,115,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matadora View Post
I lived in Houston, Austin and Dallas and all 3 cites are as different from each other as San Diego, LA and SF are.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geography_of_Texas

The point I am trying to make is that some CA folks have this narrow unrealistic view of Texas being one big homogeneous flat dry or humid barren land full of tumble weed. It's simply not accurate.

Oh, I completely agree with you on the perceptions of Texas from Californians who havent been. I dont agree with your comparison on those six cities though. The difference between Austin and Dallas/Ft Worth is not that great. Just a little more topography around Austin, but not much different then outside Ft Worth. Houston of course is more flat/humid/southern pines etc., but you get that an hour east of Dallas to. Of course Houston is by the Gulf to so the weather is far more humid.

Old 09-15-2015, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Oh, I completely agree with you on the perceptions of Texas from Californians who havent been. I dont agree with your comparison on those six cities though. The difference between Austin and Dallas/Ft Worth is not that great. Just a little more topography around Austin, but not much different then outside Ft Worth. Houston of course is more flat/humid/southern pines etc., but you get that an hour east of Dallas to. Of course Houston is by the Gulf to so the weather is far more humid.
Austin is a small college town and Dallas is big city with big city amenities. Night and day IMO.

I am stunned that you find Austin similar to Dallas.

That's like saying the college town of Chico is the same as SF. Night and day.

Old 09-15-2015, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Austin is a small college town and Dallas is big city with big city amenities. Night and day IMO.

I am stunned that you find Austin similar to Dallas.

Not the cities per se, Dallas is much larger, but the natural environment, the suburbs, culture etc. Not sure when you left Austin, but its population is now 912,000 ! That makes me go....

Old 09-15-2015, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Not the cities per se, Dallas is much larger, but the natural environment, the suburbs, culture etc. Not sure when you left Austin, but its population is now 912,000 ! That makes me go....
I left Austin in 2009

I see no similarities between those two cities. I was not impressed with Austin in the least...I grew up in a big progressive diverse city.

It's Texas's most over-hyped city same as with SF being CA's most over-hyped city.

Old 09-15-2015, 09:25 PM

Quote:
I left Austin in 2009

I see no similarities between those two cities. I was not impressed with Austin in the least...I grew up in a big progressive diverse city.

It's Texas's most over-hyped city same as with SF being CA's most over-hyped city.

SF is great if you can afford it and like dense city lifestyle. Austin is nice, its got a good energy to it. I like Dallas and Ft Worth better. I couldnt live in Houston because of the weather, but it is an impressive city.

Old 09-16-2015, 07:49 AM

692 posts, read 855,175 times
CA is gorgeous. People who haven't lived there don't quite tend to grok *how* gorgeous parts are. Our top attractions are in a world-class of their own (except for Tahoe. Sorry, guys, but there are dozens of high-altitude lakes across the Rockies every BIT as nice as Tahoe). But otoh, Californians, my family members notably included, have a very bad habit of assuming that because CA is gorgeous, that the rest of the country is boring and unremarkable, when nothing could be further from the truth. CA's beauty is increasingly a luxury good based on real estate prices and proximity, which is different. But if you're poor or middle-class*, you're going to drive a long **** time to see them, and you'd better pack a lunch for once you get there. You may as well be living in another state and just come in for vacations.

*REAL middle-class, not "city-data.com middle class," which tends to skew notably higher than the median income.

Old 09-16-2015, 08:26 AM

42,845 posts, read 26,259,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by happycrow View Post
CA is gorgeous. People who haven't lived there don't quite tend to grok *how* gorgeous parts are. Our top attractions are in a world-class of their own (except for Tahoe. Sorry, guys, but there are dozens of high-altitude lakes across the Rockies every BIT as nice as Tahoe). But otoh, Californians, my family members notably included, have a very bad habit of assuming that because CA is gorgeous, that the rest of the country is boring and unremarkable, when nothing could be further from the truth. CA's beauty is increasingly a luxury good based on real estate prices and proximity, which is different. But if you're poor or middle-class*, you're going to drive a long **** time to see them, and you'd better pack a lunch for once you get there. You may as well be living in another state and just come in for vacations. *REAL middle-class, not "city-data.com middle class," which tends to skew notably higher than the median income.
Except for one thing, all those attractions are not all in the same place, they are spread throughout the state, and most people of all incomes live in close enough proximity to one or more that they can regularly visit and enjoy them. I'm not sure of any state where all of the beaches, mountains, parks, monuments are within walking distance of the majority of the population -maybe you could name one?

Old 09-16-2015, 08:41 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,711,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoriBee62 View Post
I just stumbled upon this thread on the Real Estate forum where folks from other states are complaining about losing their paid-off homes because they can't afford the annual skyrocketing property taxes. //www.city-data.com/forum/real-...h-america.html

I wonder how long it will be before the California haters come running back from Texas when they discover the grass wasn't exactly greener in other cow pastures. Don't get me wrong, I hope they leave and don't come back. The state prefers innovators, not whiners. But I sure would love to be there when reality bites these guys in the butt.
Lori, just to fill you in on a couple of things: for the most part no one is losing thier homes because they can not pay the taxes; don't believe everything you read for heavens sake. Next. have you lived in Texas? Why the defensive attitude and scarcasim? There are a lot of pros and cons about both states and all states for that matter. Yes, property taxes are high is Texas, but there is no income taxes and the taxes are nothing compared to some upper mid west states.

Both Ca and Texas offer a good quality of life, diversity and wonderful people. Both offer decent schools, if you can afford to live in the better school districts. California is certainly prettier than Texas. I have lived in both places. Cost of living is cheaper overall in Texas, but the CA weather takes it over Texas any day.

I know a lot of people who relocated from So. CA to DAllas when their companies moved the headquarters. Most have chosen, 15 years or more later to stay in Texas but some have gladly returned to California.

Please do not judge unless you have lived the experience.

Old 09-16-2015, 10:09 AM

2,645 posts, read 3,329,221 times
For the record, I don't select Texas as a state to pick on. It is the many posters who come to the California forum for the sole purpose of telling Californians how much better off they are/would be living in Texas. Personally, I would love to be able to visit the California forum and just talk about things relevant to our state. When I glance at the topics of other states' forums, they are enjoying the luxury of not getting their forums trolled all the time by people who don't live there and only show up to call them fools. How nice that must be.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California