Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2015, 10:05 AM

2,645 posts, read 3,328,007 times

Advertisements

I just stumbled upon this thread on the Real Estate forum where folks from other states are complaining about losing their paid-off homes because they can't afford the annual skyrocketing property taxes. //www.city-data.com/forum/real-...h-america.html

I wonder how long it will be before the California haters come running back from Texas when they discover the grass wasn't exactly greener in other cow pastures. Don't get me wrong, I hope they leave and don't come back. The state prefers innovators, not whiners. But I sure would love to be there when reality bites these guys in the butt.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2015, 10:09 AM

1,334 posts, read 1,672,801 times
From what I've seen, most of the CA haters on CD don't live here anyway. They just seem to find CA a convenient voodoo doll.

People don't understand that taxes are pretty much a zero sum game: in general, the government(s) get(s) the money; only the pockets it's taken from are different.

Old 09-13-2015, 10:27 AM

17,815 posts, read 25,624,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by semispherical View Post
From what I've seen, most of the CA haters on CD don't live here anyway. They just seem to find CA a convenient voodoo doll.

People don't understand that taxes are pretty much a zero sum game: in general, the government(s) get(s) the money; only the pockets it's taken from are different.
Very true. There is one from Illinois and one who lives in Kentucky, I don't believe either one has even visited CA.

Than there are two who do live in CA, constantly bash the state, but when asked why don't you leave, won't answer.

The only reasons you have (that I can think of) to remain in a state you don't like is if you have minor children and are divorced and have custody issues, or a sick/elderly family member that you're taking care of and can't leave them.

Other than that I don't get why someone stays in a place they don't like. Houses can be sold, jobs can be transferred or changed.

But the really odd ones are people who never even lived in CA.

The one from Illinois should worry more about his own backyard, it's the most corrupt state in the nation.

Old 09-13-2015, 10:40 AM

149 posts, read 181,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoriBee62 View Post
I just stumbled upon this thread on the Real Estate forum where folks from other states are complaining about losing their paid-off homes because they can't afford the annual skyrocketing property taxes. //www.city-data.com/forum/real-...h-america.html

I wonder how long it will be before the California haters come running back from Texas when they discover the grass wasn't exactly greener in other cow pastures. Don't get me wrong, I hope they leave and don't come back. The state prefers innovators, not whiners. But I sure would love to be there when reality bites these guys in the butt.
I think the complaint in the article was mostly about property taxes.....sure, Cali owners sitting on overpriced house paying nothing due to Prop 13 and expecting others to pick up the tab and pay their way for schools, roads, etc can have entitled laugh at dumb home owners now and sneer if these go back to the growing American class of rental serfs....till Prop 13 is repealed

Last edited by opossum_; 09-13-2015 at 10:53 AM..

Old 09-13-2015, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by opossum_ View Post
I think the complaint in the article was mostly about property taxes.....sure, Cali owners sitting on overpriced house paying nothing due to Prop 13 and expecting others to pick up the tab and pay their way for schools, roads, etc can have entitled laugh at dumb home owners now and sneer if these go back to the growing American class of rental serfs....till Prop 13 is repealed
Try again. The median home value in California is about $450,000. Go on the high side at about 1.25% and a brand new homeowner purchasing their house today will spend less than $6,000 annually in property tax. That's nothing compared to the $20K plus people are complaining about for their "dirt cheap homes" in other states.

Hate to rain on your pity party, but your problems are your own fault, not those of your neighbors. Until you grasp that reality, your life will never improve.

Old 09-13-2015, 11:07 AM

6,664 posts, read 30,603,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by opossum_ View Post
The only people paying "paying nothing" owned their homes when the 1% property tax was expensive. Their children have since moved on and paying their own taxes.
You buy a home today at $500,000 and your yearly tax will be $5000, not a small amount. In CA (not cali) a home owner can plan and budget their state property tax.
As mentioned by semispherical, the state still collects their due from your other pockets.
As far as road work look into your state and federal tax on gasoline and tires. There is where road repair funds come from.
Why the hell do people attack prop 13 so much? Obviously not a CA home owner.

Old 09-13-2015, 11:22 AM

12,287 posts, read 9,816,866 times
Prop 13 is just rent control for homeowners with the government picking the winners and loser as usual.

Old 09-13-2015, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferretkona View Post
The only people paying "paying nothing" owned their homes when the 1% property tax was expensive. Their children have since moved on and paying their own taxes.
You buy a home today at $500,000 and your yearly tax will be $5000, not a small amount. In CA (not cali) a home owner can plan and budget their state property tax.
As mentioned by semispherical, the state still collects their due from your other pockets.
As far as road work look into your state and federal tax on gasoline and tires. There is where road repair funds come from.
Why the hell do people attack prop 13 so much? Obviously not a CA home owner.
Yes, and by obtaining funds from gasoline and other sales tax, tourism and trucking helps foot the bill. In other words, the people actually using the roads are paying the fees. This takes the burden off seniors living on fixed incomes who put maybe 3,000 miles on their cars each year.

I've got no problem with Prop 13, and no, I didn't buy my last house decades ago. And the first one we DID buy back in the 90's, we bought when there was no such thing as a sub-prime mortgage, you had to come up with 20% down and interest rates were in the double-digits. We did it by saving, living frugally, and not having the entitlement mentality that just because we want a house, we think it should be handed to us for nothing. No different than the young families who are buying homes on my street today.

Old 09-13-2015, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shooting4life View Post
Prop 13 is just rent control for homeowners with the government picking the winners and loser as usual.
It must be horrible being a perpetual victim, but I guess the upside is you never have to take responsibility for your own situation.

Old 09-13-2015, 11:55 AM

26,717 posts, read 26,776,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shooting4life View Post
Hardly.
http://www.caltax.org/WhatProposition13Did.pdf
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California