Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2015, 01:25 PM

3 posts, read 15,796 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I live in Illinois and I am tired of the humidity in the summers and the bone chilling horrible winters here. I am on SSI disability and near elderly. I want to move to California eventually.

Can anyone tell me of a good place to live in California that offers affordable housing for seniors and disabled with nice weather year round?

I am looking for a town with:

Sunshine
Comfortable Weather
Low Humidity
Low Crime
Section 8 Friendly or has a County Housing Authority
Clean
Safe
Trees & Green Grass
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2015, 02:38 PM

2,347 posts, read 3,309,339 times
You aren't likely to find anywhere in CA that meets ALL of those criteria. If you want cheap, forget about low crime. You want clean and safe, forget about cheap. etc. Ditto for Section 8. That and high crime go hand in hand. You want cheap and low crime, forget about nice weather.

Choose what matters most.

Old 09-16-2015, 02:48 PM

Default hmmm.

Got it. hmmm..Thank you for the reply....

Old 09-16-2015, 03:28 PM

1,199 posts, read 1,635,504 times
Central Coast, Cayucos or Morro Bay maybe.

Old 09-16-2015, 03:42 PM

8,452 posts, read 14,948,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nlp1965 View Post

Trees & Green Grass

Nothing green in the state...everything is dried up or burned up

Old 09-16-2015, 04:14 PM

Thanks sourdough. I will research these areas you suggested.

Old 09-16-2015, 05:30 PM

42,717 posts, read 25,874,592 times
Quote:
Hello,

I live in Illinois and I am tired of the humidity in the summers and the bone chilling horrible winters here. I am on SSI disability and near elderly. I want to move to California eventually.
Can anyone tell me of a good place to live in California that offers affordable housing for seniors and disabled with nice weather year round?
Sunshine
Comfortable Weather
Low Humidity
Low Crime
Clean
Safe
Trees & Green Grass
If she doesn't see your post, message NoMoreSnowForMe She's disabled and on SSI, she has done real well finding affordable apartments in California, but I don't think you will ever find one with everything on your lis, and unless you already have a section 8 voucher that can be transferred to California you either need to find project based section 8 or be prepared to be on a waiting list for 4 years.

Old 09-16-2015, 06:29 PM

9,455 posts, read 12,467,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightlysparrow View Post
Nothing green in the state...everything is dried up or burned up
From a SoCal perspective....

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
If she doesn't see your post, message NoMoreSnowForMe She's disabled and on SSI, she has done real well finding affordable apartments in California, but I don't think you will ever find one with everything on your lis, and unless you already have a section 8 voucher that can be transferred to California you either need to find project based section 8 or be prepared to be on a waiting list for 4 years.
Yep on No Snow. Crescent City. Has all of your criteria, except for the sunshine. Has enough, but the summers can be a bit foggy. 80* is considered a hot day. Somewhat further south there is Ft Bragg, Willits and Ukiah-also promising with your criteria.

Old 09-16-2015, 06:49 PM

3,439 posts, read 3,256,085 times
Quote:
Hello,

Sunshine
Comfortable Weather
Low Humidity
Low Crime
Clean
Safe
Trees & Green Grass
Irvine or Beverly HIlls..as long as you have the time to wait for Sec 8 Housing

Old 09-16-2015, 08:33 PM

5,381 posts, read 8,631,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by payutenyodagimas View Post
Irvine or Beverly HIlls..as long as you have the time to wait for Sec 8 Housing
I take it you were not being serious, but I will play along.

Section 8 is closed for Beverly Hills, but the Senior and Disabled lists are still open:
Affordable Housing and Housing Authorities in Beverly Hills, California

There is a lot of subsidized housing in Irvine and, depending upon family size, one can make as much as $113,000 and still qualify:

What affordable looks like in Irvine - The Orange County Register

Irvine CA Low Income Housing | Irvine Low Income Apartments | Low Income Housing in Irvine, CA

https://www.irvinecompanyapartments....rdable-housing

I agree that NoMoreSnow is quite knowledgeable about the topic, and also seems to be very good at money-saving tips.

I suggest the OP look up her posts on disabled or senior persons, and housing affordability.

Best of Luck
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California