U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2015, 11:43 AM

3,382 posts, read 5,303,049 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCbaxter View Post
I will be working for Spectrum, formerly Charter cable. I know....everyone hates me now.
Thanks for the info.
No, that's reserved for U-Verse and Comcast.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2015, 11:36 PM

447 posts, read 530,199 times
Only barely heard of charter most people seem to have and hate comcast and to a lesser extent uverse.

Old 09-20-2015, 03:08 AM

1,310 posts, read 1,123,406 times
Chico is the easy choice here. I get a bad vibe about Redding and it definitely seems hotter there than in Chico. At least in Chico the delta breeze can come along sometimes; Redding's geographical location has a tendency to trap all the heat and it just bakes all summer long. Not to say Chico is cool in summer but there seems to be more trees in Chico and it doesn't feel quite as dry there. Redding felt disturbingly close to the desert to me with its dryness and lack of shade, but at least there are rivers and Whiskeytown lake is awesome. Redding is closer to the coast too which is nice, but Chico is 90 minutes closer to Sac which is a huge advantage IMO.

Either way I think you should visit both cities before deciding, but my choice is pretty firmly Chico.

Old 09-22-2015, 04:29 PM

114 posts, read 205,645 times
I would pick Chico over Redding, even though both are sort of out in the boonies, Chico is and feels closer to the bigger cities, it is a very pretty town, Redding reminds me more of a hick town but it has been a few years since I have lived in either one. I take Redding as being more of a meth town as well but that is JMHO. Redding may be less expensive too.

Old 09-22-2015, 10:14 PM

607 posts, read 519,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grovester View Post
Redding reminds me more of a hick town but it has been a few years since I have lived in either one. I take Redding as being more of a meth town as well but that is JMHO. Redding may be less expensive too.
Redding is definitely a hick town, lol. My dad lives just outside of Redding, and he even refers to it as that, and he's lived there all his life. ha. And it's also a meth town, too, so it has all kinds of wonderful things going for it!

Old 09-25-2015, 06:42 PM

21 posts, read 21,509 times
Im thinking about moving to Redding also, with a young family. From beautiful but expensive Santa Barbara, trying to get as much information about Redding as we can before driving up in December to check it out for ourselves. Its super affordable but at what sacrifice? My rent has gone up the last 3 years over here and its not going to stop....

Last edited by mgm805; 09-25-2015 at 06:43 PM.. Reason: left out info

Old 09-26-2015, 12:55 AM

18,700 posts, read 26,592,942 times
Definitely Chico over Redding.

I lived in Redding last year and moved here to the coast to escape the heat. There was a lot that I liked about Redding, but I was looking for towns that had subsidized senior apartments with short waiting lists. Chico was not an option at the time. It's a much, much more desirable town.

It's a pretty university town with lots of trees, as I recall. Haven't been there in a long time. Redding has no university presence. University towns just have such great energy and places to go and things to do.

Redding is more blue collar, which isn't bad. But, if I had kids and was choosing between the two, I'd definitely choose Chico.

Now, let me put these "average" temperatures to rest once and for all. I believed that garbage, and I am telling you that I couldn't wait to get out of Redding because of how fricking hot it is there. It was into the 100 degrees mid-May last year, and that didn't stop until mid-October. And it doesn't cool down at night until maybe 3:00 a.m. There is no delta breeze. Then, it's baking hot again by 10am at the latest.

What you need to do, is look at actual monthly data that shows the high and low for every day that month. Like here:

http://www.weather.com/weather/monthly/l/96003:4:US

Please note the days over 100 degrees up to 107 degrees just this month. I can tell you that on a day when it's 107 degrees, you aren't thinking, "But the average temperature is 88 degrees."

The weather for Redding this month looks bi-polar LOL. It got weirdly cool, into the 60's, then zipped back up over 100 degrees. Ugh.

Redding is one of the sunniest places in the U.S. And I thought I'd like that. But, I got so I was sick of the sun beating down on me there. I actually started a thread about it LOL.

And Chico isn't much different, but it is cooler than Redding.

One of the big downsides for Redding is also the homeless population. It's terrible downtown. The library is really nice, but they have a security guard to keep a handle on the homeless that hang out there. The park next to the library is covered with homeless people. They stay mainly downtown, but it is a huge problem. I don't know how bad it is in Chico.

As far as drugs, drugs are everywhere. I saw tweaked out homeless people in Redding, I've seen a couple here. But, I never felt the entire population was overrun with a drug problem in Redding or here, which is what people on CD say. Shoot, I went to a private Catholic school back in the 1970's and there were plenty of drugs there, too. If a kid wants to get drugs, they will. All a parent can do is arm them with self-esteem and knowledge.

At any rate, I'd definitely choose Chico over Redding. University towns are great. Congrats on the job!

Last edited by NoMoreSnowForMe; 09-26-2015 at 01:13 AM..

Old 09-28-2015, 11:46 AM

2 posts, read 2,553 times
Chico pluses:
1. Not as hot as Redding in the summer
2. More activities for young people of all ages (including Chico State summer camps, the Chico Area Recreational District activities, and acres of parks and playgrounds)
3. Location: closer to San Francisco/Sacramento than Redding (we don't have an international airport here) while still only a short drive to Lassen, Feather River Canyon, Plumas and other camping/recreational areas
4. More diverse population than Redding (but still primarily a WASP community)
5. Bidwell Park
6. Very active, large Farmer's Market
7. Events at the university - a wide range of everything from African cultural performances to in-person appearances by Nobel prize winners (such as Mikhail Gorbachev)

Chico minuses:
1. Farther from any skiing/snowboarding than Redding
2. High cost of housing (rent and purchase)
3. Terribly hard water (but I think it might be the same in Redding - I have a water softener but it still doesn't remove all of the hard water deposits that build up on sinks, tubs and toilets, probably the same in all the northern valley towns)

Chico would be ideal if it didn't have California taxes!

Old 09-29-2015, 04:58 PM

49 posts, read 64,665 times
Chico without a doubt.

Old 09-30-2015, 11:30 AM

5 posts, read 5,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgm805 View Post
Im thinking about moving to Redding also, with a young family. From beautiful but expensive Santa Barbara, trying to get as much information about Redding as we can before driving up in December to check it out for ourselves. Its super affordable but at what sacrifice? My rent has gone up the last 3 years over here and its not going to stop....

I moved to Redding two years ago with a young family (3 year old and 1 year old girls) from Huntington Beach, CA. I can tell you that the culture shock is real. People definitely live a different lifestyle here and the amount of poverty, drug use, dependency, and transiency is VERY apparent. There are a lot of negatives about this place and I can harp on them all day long.

But I won't. Because this place has A LOT of potential. This place is FULL of good people who want to change it for the better. People who want downtown to come alive again. People who want the crime and drugs driven out of this place. People who want good, wholesome family atmosphere in our parks and public places again. People who LOVE the outdoors and recreating. People who appreciate local small businesses and come together for one another. People who can (I won't say will) turn this place around.

For the time being, this places is working for my family. We are weekend warriors and the opportunities for camping, recreating, hiking, fishing and road-tripping are endless! Our girls have great, affordable access to swimming lessons, dance classes, sports, daycare, parks and there are good public schools. The Turtle Bay Adventure Park is a GODSEND as well as the Sundial Bridge and River Trail. Local organizations put on great family events and we have found that the trails around town are pretty Dog-Friendly as well.

All in all, the good things have out-weighed the bad since our move here. I imagine moving from Santa Barbara to Redding, you'll have higher-standards for how a town should function and develop. Come with those higher standards. Make your voice heard and maybe more people with higher standards will lead to actual higher standards for this town overall.

...that is my hope anyway. Let me know if you'd like to know more specifics about Redding and the surrounding areas... i.e. things to do, places to eat, the bad stuff, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California