U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2015, 11:26 PM

5,611 posts, read 2,059,516 times

Advertisements

I take that with a grain of salt. Go over to the MN, where I'm from, and read all the dreadful winter comments. Weather is weather and I still say dry heat is way easier than humidity. It was 99 today and to me it felt warm for sure, but not oppressive. As for night, everywhere has AC.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2015, 04:25 PM

18,700 posts, read 26,586,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCbaxter View Post
I take that with a grain of salt. Go over to the MN, where I'm from, and read all the dreadful winter comments. Weather is weather and I still say dry heat is way easier than humidity. It was 99 today and to me it felt warm for sure, but not oppressive. As for night, everywhere has AC.
Which is great, if you never want to go for a walk.

I'm glad you're happy. But, I actually went to Whiskeytown Lake to make use of their free kayak tours, intending to get into kayaking. They have two tours a day, the first at 9am, the second around 5pm and they have some moonlight tours, too, so you should check those out if you move there. You just need to call and reserve a spot, and you can give a donation, but you don't have to.

Anyway, Even though the 9am tour would be over by 11:30 or noonish, we couldn't stay wet enough to stay cool. It was even too hot on the lake!

So, sure, if you never need to go outside, you can live inside with air conditioning.

Oh well, you'll probably be like I was and not listen to anyone, and find out the hard way. And maybe you really won't mind. I hope so.

Old 10-16-2015, 04:36 PM

607 posts, read 519,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
Which is great, if you never want to go for a walk.

I'm glad you're happy. But, I actually went to Whiskeytown Lake to make use of their free kayak tours, intending to get into kayaking. They have two tours a day, the first at 9am, the second around 5pm and they have some moonlight tours, too, so you should check those out if you move there. You just need to call and reserve a spot, and you can give a donation, but you don't have to.

Anyway, Even though the 9am tour would be over by 11:30 or noonish, we couldn't stay wet enough to stay cool. It was even too hot on the lake!

So, sure, if you never need to go outside, you can live inside with air conditioning.
Exactly. If you go to the lake on these hellishly-hot days (I love Whiskeytown--only positive thing about Redding IMO), you have to get there super early and be prepared to leave by noon, because it's too sickeningly hot to do anything but be in the water....so unless you're going to stay in the water the entire time....yeah.

Old 10-16-2015, 07:19 PM

6,416 posts, read 3,464,537 times
Based on the people that I know that moved to Redding, I'd choose Chico.

Old 10-16-2015, 10:24 PM

Ok, but here's the thing with the heat. There are days in MN where you can't go outside because the cold can give you frostbite in five minutes. There are others where it is cold and no matter how many layers you have on the wind just rips your body heat right out of you. Oh, and there are days when it's so cold that your mucus membranes in your nose hurt from it then there are days that start out in the thirties for temps, and it begins to rain. The sun goes down and it turns to freezing rain...then the temp drops more and snow begins so that when you wake up there is six inches of new powder covering a half inch of ice that covers everything. Then if you super lucky the temp falls below the level where the road treatments stop working and you get to drive on washboard ice on the roads for the next two weeks.
My point is that there are always extremes.

Old 10-17-2015, 08:53 PM

Well, but you're trying to move away from extremes, so it's relevant, isn't it?

I was thinking about you today and I was thinking that I should mention that 100 degrees will still be 100 degrees, whether it's dry or humid. 100 dry degrees will never feel like 75 degrees.

Dry is better, but it's not cooler.

Old 10-18-2015, 06:12 PM

No, weather did not factor into my move. I simply had to relocate to move up in my company.
Extremes are just that, out of the norm. Yes 100 degrees is hot, but I say again that 85 with dew point in the mid 60s is worse. But that just might be me.

Old 10-19-2015, 10:25 PM

1,310 posts, read 1,123,146 times
OP is sounding a lot like you did right around the time you moved to Redding, eh Snow?

OP, you're saying it's been in the mid to high 90s and it's not that bad. And that's true - 90s in October really aren't that bad, just like 90s in May aren't that bad. Know why? Because the sun is much, much weaker on the outside of summer and the diurnal range is much higher in the transition seasons. Humidity tends to be higher as well due to increased chances of rain which can make it seem downright pleasant, and rightly so.

But then June comes, and the solstice, and you think "bah, it's still not all that bad. What's all the crying about?" And then July comes, and the temperature spikes for a few days, and you're still thinking "meh, still not bad, I'll just head to the lake and cool off!" And then July starts to drag, and it keeps getting hotter, but the worst part is it stops cooling off at night. And then August comes and you're baking sunrise to sunset, and sweating all night or running your air (or swamp cooler if the A/C gets too pricey). Before you know it you're running your air all day, every day, wishing for fall, but then you realize it's only September and you still have two solid months of heat before fall really kicks into gear.

Now I know you said winter in MN sucks, and I absolutely believe you, but Redding is easily just as bad except you traded cold for heat.

I wish you the best of luck, I really do, but as someone who grew up in a hot, dry climate, it sucks no matter how you try to paint it.

Snow, you might want to get your house prepped - you could be getting a new roommate next fall!

Old 10-20-2015, 01:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCMann2 View Post
OP is sounding a lot like you did right around the time you moved to Redding, eh Snow?

OP, you're saying it's been in the mid to high 90s and it's not that bad. And that's true - 90s in October really aren't that bad, just like 90s in May aren't that bad. Know why? Because the sun is much, much weaker on the outside of summer and the diurnal range is much higher in the transition seasons. Humidity tends to be higher as well due to increased chances of rain which can make it seem downright pleasant, and rightly so.

But then June comes, and the solstice, and you think "bah, it's still not all that bad. What's all the crying about?" And then July comes, and the temperature spikes for a few days, and you're still thinking "meh, still not bad, I'll just head to the lake and cool off!" And then July starts to drag, and it keeps getting hotter, but the worst part is it stops cooling off at night. And then August comes and you're baking sunrise to sunset, and sweating all night or running your air (or swamp cooler if the A/C gets too pricey). Before you know it you're running your air all day, every day, wishing for fall, but then you realize it's only September and you still have two solid months of heat before fall really kicks into gear.

Now I know you said winter in MN sucks, and I absolutely believe you, but Redding is easily just as bad except you traded cold for heat.

I wish you the best of luck, I really do, but as someone who grew up in a hot, dry climate, it sucks no matter how you try to paint it.

Snow, you might want to get your house prepped - you could be getting a new roommate next fall!
LMAO! OMG, you so nailed it ha ha ha.......residual giggles now.......haha haah heee....

Old 10-20-2015, 03:10 AM

3,516 posts, read 3,532,837 times
Well Snow, you know I'm like you and prefer cooler temps, drizzle and cloudy days. Living where you are now would be a dream come true! However, there are people who do get used to high and dry heat, like my older brother who's been retired full time now in Redding (just outside up the 299 in near the Museum, in old "Shasta") for almost 20 years. He certainly is quite content there, and he told me wouldnt be able to cope with PNW weather, and could never live in drizzley weather!
He also grew up as a child in the great lakes area, and would never go back.
He does his outside stuff in the morning... putters on his property, goes for a walk or bike ride at the river etc. all before 10 am. He has a good air conditioner, loves the balmy evenings and has a patio set up for stargazing late at night. To him, temps in the 90's is "beautiful weather".

I used to be much more tolerant of heat in my youth because I grew up in the San Fernando valley of LA county. We'd crack eggs on the black top to watch them bubble. So when I would go up to Shasta as a teen for vacations when my brother bought some property there, the heat didn't bother me that much. We'd be on his boat for hours in July fishing and swimming with our sister and her kids...oh the tan I'd go home with! At his mobile home we'd hang out in the back yard in.the shade even if it was 115 outside. I was told by someone once visiting from Virginia that the thing he liked most about California is our "shade". Lol! Apparently he didn't get much relief from the high humidity in the shade over there.
Well, the point is of course different strokes. My tolerance for heat really went away when I spent a little time in England with my (now) hubby. I could be happy living in n Redding if I absolutely had to... the home prices are good and I could have more room for hobbies at least instead of being crammed in a one bedroom apartment here in expensive Orange County with our "perfect" weather! Ha ha! I do know I'd make a bad habit of driving to Cresent City often as it's only a three hour drive for a weekend getaway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California