U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2015, 09:37 AM

38,073 posts, read 17,906,950 times

Advertisements

this is completely subjective, but in all of Northern California there has only been one place where I felt like I was going to throw up from the heat - Redding.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2015, 05:43 PM

3,516 posts, read 3,532,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
this is completely subjective, but in all of Northern California there has only been one place where I felt like I was going to throw up from the heat - Redding.
Lol! Yeah, you definitely have to learn to work around it!

Old 10-20-2015, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCbaxter View Post
Ok, but here's the thing with the heat. There are days in MN where you can't go outside because the cold can give you frostbite in five minutes. There are others where it is cold and no matter how many layers you have on the wind just rips your body heat right out of you. Oh, and there are days when it's so cold that your mucus membranes in your nose hurt from it then there are days that start out in the thirties for temps, and it begins to rain. The sun goes down and it turns to freezing rain...then the temp drops more and snow begins so that when you wake up there is six inches of new powder covering a half inch of ice that covers everything. Then if you super lucky the temp falls below the level where the road treatments stop working and you get to drive on washboard ice on the roads for the next two weeks.
My point is that there are always extremes.
In Redding, trade that cold extreme for the heat extreme, (heat stroke instead of frost bite) only without as much work I guess?
Even though I grew up in a warm climate in So. Cal, (moved as an adult to more "ideal" weather in South Orange County) my husband and I did live up in the San Bernardino mountains for a couple of years. There was definitely snow in the winter, even if mild comparably. There is certainly work involved when it comes to snow with the shoveling, scraping, sprinkling salt on the steps...driving reaaaaaally slow...

I tell my husband all the time I wouldn't mind moving to the Upper Peninsula where my older relatives are from, (in spite of the stories of my grandfather having to crawl out the second story hatch to get out!) but all those things you mentioned, I honestly don't know how well I'd do, or long I'd last in those conditions.

Old 10-25-2015, 02:44 AM

49 posts, read 64,644 times
I was going to tell you Chico but I see from another post that you ended up in Redding.

May God have mercy on your soul.

Old 10-25-2015, 03:51 AM

CCbaxter, if you get the chance, it would be great to hear how you're experience is going if you're in Redding! Hope things work out for you!
Best of luck to you!

Old 10-25-2015, 08:10 AM

5,610 posts, read 2,059,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by misaligned View Post
I was going to tell you Chico but I see from another post that you ended up in Redding.

May God have mercy on your soul.
LOL! I've only rented an apt wit with a six month lease till I figure out where to buy. It's not like I was just sentenced to 25 years hard labor....or was I???

Old 10-25-2015, 08:16 AM

5,610 posts, read 2,059,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Podo944 View Post
CCbaxter, if you get the chance, it would be great to hear how you're experience is going if you're in Redding! Hope things work out for you!
Best of luck to you!
Thanks! I will update this thread periodically. Having been here for 3 weeks I do notice the homeless problem, no doubt. People want to do something, so that's a start. Now we just have to see if the politicians can be talked into doing their jobs and try to find solutions. Other than that, it seems like Redding is ok.
I know, I know, just wait for the summer!

Old 10-26-2015, 09:26 PM

18,700 posts, read 26,586,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCbaxter View Post
Thanks! I will update this thread periodically. Having been here for 3 weeks I do notice the homeless problem, no doubt. People want to do something, so that's a start. Now we just have to see if the politicians can be talked into doing their jobs and try to find solutions. Other than that, it seems like Redding is ok.
I know, I know, just wait for the summer!
I moved to Redding in November and loved the winter there. So enjoy it! If you have a dog, you can take him/her to the Turtle Bay East park area off-leash. Great park with trails next to the river.

There's also a nice big fenced dog park Placer St and Airport Drive.

Be sure and take free kayak tours on Whiskeytown Lake when they start up for summer. You just need to call to make a reservation, free with volunteer donations (which they don't pressure you for).

Kayak Tours - Whiskeytown Lake, CA

You can catch some nice shows at the Cascade Theater:

Cascade Theatre - HOME

And the Civic Auditorium:

Redding Civic | Your kind of fun!

Redding isn't all bad. If it wasn't so hot, I probably would have stayed there.

Old 01-26-2016, 06:01 PM

1 posts, read 1,075 times
You say Chico and Redding are ungodly hot. How hot is that? I live in the central valley and we run about 106 in the summer. I am looking to move up north though.

Old 02-02-2016, 11:01 AM

49 posts, read 64,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karynkids View Post
You say Chico and Redding are ungodly hot. How hot is that? I live in the central valley and we run about 106 in the summer. I am looking to move up north though.
It's not that much worse but not uncommon to see it get above 110 in Redding during July and August. Chico is usually about 5 degrees cooler. Anything over 100 sucks and is too hot to do anything but go to the lakes so if you're ok with 106 don't let the heat up here be a deterrent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California