Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2015, 08:30 PM

42,838 posts, read 26,236,305 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiffaNYC View Post
But Chico is, too They are both pretty identical in climate (I used to live in Redding as a kid, my dad still lives there, and my step-sister lives in Chico). They're both ungodly hot in the summer D:
Redding: The warm season lasts from June 15 to September 16 with an average daily high temperature above 89°F. The hottest day of the year is July 23, with an average high of 98°F and low of 68°F.

Chico: The warm season lasts from June 8 to September 24 with an average daily high temperature above 79°F. The hottest day of the year is July 13, with an average high of 88°F and low of 66°F.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2015, 08:35 PM

607 posts, read 601,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeauCharles View Post
Your personal opinion of course but Chico is not a craphole. Not even close. Its a very nice, attractive small city and a good portion of those who graduate Chico State will do about anything so they can stay there. Its a classic Midwest style college town and quite unique in California in that respect. Lots of recreational opportunities too. Sorry, but I just take issue with your personal ax to grind against it possibly coloring the opinion of the OP. Again, it is NOT a horrible place. Most who live there love it (and there's a reason why real estate prices there are higher than about anywhere in the Central Valley save for Davis).
A personal ax to grind? Not really, I just can't stand it there - it's nothing "personal" against Chico--I just happen to think it's boring, with a lot of white trash and frat-boy types (Chico state = party school as I'm sure a lot of us know), and it's just a major NEVER would live there EVER for me. However, it does beat Redding any day - I'll give it that. Redding is worse.

Old 09-16-2015, 08:36 PM

607 posts, read 601,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
Redding: The warm season lasts from June 15 to September 16 with an average daily high temperature above 89°F. The hottest day of the year is July 23, with an average high of 98°F and low of 68°F.

Chico: The warm season lasts from June 8 to September 24 with an average daily high temperature above 79°F. The hottest day of the year is July 13, with an average high of 88°F and low of 66°F.
Hmm, okay - well all the times that I spent in Chico in the summer must've been unusually hot. Redding is insanely hot, that's for sure.

Old 09-16-2015, 08:55 PM

30,891 posts, read 36,937,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post

Those numbers for Chico seem a little low, but Chico is a bit cooler than Redding year 'round. Redding is on the south side of a very high mountain (Mt. Shasta) which makes it very warm for the latitude.

Old 09-16-2015, 10:43 PM

43 posts, read 90,096 times
Chico

Old 09-16-2015, 11:04 PM

42,838 posts, read 26,236,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
Those numbers for Chico seem a little low, but Chico is a bit cooler than Redding year 'round. Redding is on the south side of a very high mountain (Mt. Shasta) which makes it very warm for the latitude.
I got the data for both from the same source, I didn't check to see if it varied with other weather websites
https://weatherspark.com/averages/29...-United-States

https://weatherspark.com/averages/31...-United-States

Old 09-17-2015, 09:47 AM

194 posts, read 505,744 times
I came from Palm Springs so Chico and Redding aren't that hot. This year wasn't too bad either, only 3 or so really hot spells that gave me a reason to hop into the many swimming holes up here.

Redding is nice if you like quick access to great big-mountain hiking (Trinity Alps, Mt. Shasta, etc.). There are some nice bike paths in town and good mountain biking near town. The turtle bay area is nice to walk around.

Chico's downtown is a little more lively and there's also good local recreation in Bidwell Park. Bring your full suspension to upper park....it's bumpy with lava rock! Closer drive to Sac and points south.

Old 09-17-2015, 11:37 AM

1,231 posts, read 1,659,658 times
If I had to choose between the two cities, I would go with Chico. Chico is a university town with more recreational amenities and a livelier downtown social scene. Bidwell Park offers hiking, biking and swimming holes. In addition, Chico is closer to Sacramento for access to air services and bigger city amenities.

Old 09-18-2015, 11:24 PM

447 posts, read 651,493 times
So I grew up in nearby gridley and Yuba city. I live in yuba city (48 miles south) and work in chico right now 5 days a week. Your budget should be fine for chico. Its a little rough in my opinion with the junkies and homeless for instance around 100 people have had their tires slashed this week. It does get very hot in summer but winters are nice. Plenty to do for the most part and with sac and san francisco fairly close its nice. Its a small town so things are smaller but I'd live there if I stay at this job long term (only six months contract)

Where will you be working by the way? Good luck.

Old 09-19-2015, 04:22 AM

5,752 posts, read 2,779,493 times
I will be working for Spectrum, formerly Charter cable. I know....everyone hates me now.
Thanks for the info.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California