Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2015, 04:35 PM

2,645 posts, read 3,330,591 times

Advertisements

And by the way, before this notion of California government workers taxing their own interests takes hold, lets check a fact. On the ranking of states with the most government workers (state and local combined), California ranked #31 with a whopping 14.4%. Not sure what laws get passed with a 14% vote. I'm thinking none?

States Where the Most (and Least) People Work for the Government - 24/7 Wall St.

Old 09-26-2015, 04:43 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,275,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidt1 View Post
I was simply responding to the other poster's complain about government workers living a good life on the back of taxpayers, not prop 30 specifically.I was reading an article about high taxes in Sweden. Amazingly, the people there seem to like high taxes. The author of article looked a little deeper and found that the majority of the population there have government jobs or are receiving government assistance. In other words, they vote for high taxes because that is where their salary and government assistance come from. It's kind of the same situation in CA. The "voters" that you speak of are the majority who vote for more taxes because they are government workers and other groups who benefit from high taxes.
How many public workers and welfare recipients do you think there are in California? If you deduct private workers from all workers you end up with about 2.3 million public employees in a state with a population of 38.8 million. In the same year, 2012 there were 1.2 million people on welfare, make an assumption that 100% of the people in both of those groups vote and combined they couldn't swing an election

Old 09-26-2015, 04:50 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,275,432 times
Quote:
City, county, state employees are all government employees. They are powerful voting groups. I think I am touching a nerve here. What useless government agency do you or your family work for? Please don't try to make this into a left/right issue. It makes you look like a juvenile.
lolol because of course your saying this: "What useless government agency do you or your family work for?"
makes you look sooo grown up

Old 09-26-2015, 05:13 PM

8,943 posts, read 11,784,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoriBee62 View Post
And by the way, before this notion of California government workers taxing their own interests takes hold, lets check a fact. On the ranking of states with the most government workers (state and local combined), California ranked #31 with a whopping 14.4%. Not sure what laws get passed with a 14% vote. I'm thinking none?

States Where the Most (and Least) People Work for the Government - 24/7 Wall St.
CA voter turnout is very low, something like 46%. That 14% plus voting members of their family and a few members of the general public can easily become the winning majority.

For someone who claims not be a government employee on tax dole, you sure go out of your way to defend the system.

Old 09-26-2015, 09:07 PM

8,342 posts, read 6,431,022 times
Calif. teachers union is the most powerful union in the world. Theres millions of teachers all forced to pay union dues which they use to elect Democrats.
Thats one of the reasons Calif. will always be wholly controlled by Democrats and why Calif. is so God forsaken and screwed.

Old 09-26-2015, 09:20 PM

14,888 posts, read 10,035,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoriBee62 View Post
You really think the wealthiest Americans are doing their own taxes?

Reality check: They go through zero trouble and expense. They pay accounting firms to manage their finances, which includes taxes. All they do is write a check.

Do they pay for better firms than the average Joe at H&R Block? Sure, but they're also paying for a better gardener than you have, and it's not because they hate trees.
They go through zero expense but they pay accounting firms. Zero expense but they write a check? Zero expense but they pay for a better accountant?

Your ignorance is painfull.

Old 09-26-2015, 10:44 PM

Quote:
CA voter turnout is very low, something like 46%. That 14% plus voting members of their family and a few members of the general public can easily become the winning majority.

For someone who claims not be a government employee on tax dole, you sure go out of your way to defend the system.
Yes, because I believe in contributing to my community, and I understand that if I want roads, schools, cops and firemen, those things don't come free.

Honestly, the fact that you assume anyone who votes in favor of a tax must be either selfish or stupid says more about you than it does about me.

Old 09-26-2015, 10:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMoreYouKnow View Post
Your ignorance is painfull.
LOL! (And I'll be you haven't a clue why this line makes me LOL)

Old 09-26-2015, 10:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by V8 Vega View Post
Calif. teachers union is the most powerful union in the world. Theres millions of teachers all forced to pay union dues which they use to elect Democrats.
Thats one of the reasons Calif. will always be wholly controlled by Democrats and why Calif. is so God forsaken and screwed.
Has anyone but me noted the irony of a post riddled with spelling, grammar and punctuation errors griping about teachers unions?

Old 09-26-2015, 11:18 PM

531 posts, read 758,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingdomkz View Post
The roads in Cali would be even more "incredible" than ever before and suddenly immigration would drop from the lack of any programs that would support them. Schools would also finally be on par with Mexico, I'd find that entertaining, you should make a movie out of this.
That's the whole point isn't it. We get to argue all but everything without worry being forced to labor camp or even tortured to death.

Like I said, people free to make their own propositions and free to vote their votes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California