Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2015, 05:55 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,384,702 times

Advertisements

[quote=genjy;41379332]That house and view look awesome.

But when it comes down to it, I am not into living in the middle of nowhere... California or not.

I have to live in/near civilization with culture, food, jobs, entertainment, and convenience.[/quote]
You left California???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2015, 02:12 AM

4,156 posts, read 5,558,624 times
No.

Old 09-30-2015, 12:19 PM

1,714 posts, read 3,850,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post
You left California???
Haha. The only non-CA metro areas in the continental North America that meet my subjective needs are NYC, Chicago, Vancouver, Toronto, and maybe Seattle... but they all have snowy and rainy weather, and I ain't about that life.

Old 09-30-2015, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by genjy View Post
Haha. The only non-CA metro areas in the continental North America that meet my subjective needs are NYC, Chicago, Vancouver, Toronto, and maybe Seattle... but they all have snowy and rainy weather, and I ain't about that life.
But you didn't list that sooo .... I thought you left to find the other things, which exist in lots of places, and do not have the many downsides CA does.

Now I will agree the weather is the best there is in the US.

Old 09-30-2015, 02:00 PM

1,023 posts, read 1,551,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by genjy View Post
That house and view look awesome.

But when it comes down to it, I am not into living in the middle of nowhere... California or not.

I have to live in/near civilization with culture, food, jobs, entertainment, and convenience.
Charlottesville has all those things, have you ever been there? Although from the pictures, that house looks like it might be in the exurbs rather than Charlottesville proper.

Old 09-30-2015, 02:23 PM

3,477 posts, read 6,507,394 times
There is no where with the combination of scenery, natural amenities, climate, diverse population and specialized industries. Some places may have a couple of those things, but there's a reason the state is so loved by so many.

Old 10-01-2015, 01:50 PM

430 posts, read 834,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentobox34 View Post
Charlottesville has all those things, have you ever been there? Although from the pictures, that house looks like it might be in the exurbs rather than Charlottesville proper.
genjy has definitely not been to Charlottesville, Va., since he called it the "middle of nowhere." Charlottesville is probably the most cultured college town I've ever been to, and there are a lot of good ones. Chapel Hill, Madison, hell, even Austin and Davis are college towns in a way. All it takes is a very good university (which all of those have) and a critical mass of 60,000+ in the relevant mSA.

Someone else brought up Blacksburg, Va., below. Which is in the same state as Charlottesville but three hours further toward "nowhere." Then he would be a lot more accurate. It's truly in the middle of nowhere, and doesn't have that critical mass of population.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gardner222 View Post
On the East Coast, look at Blacksburg VA., very similar to the Asheville area but right now real estate prices are lower. A new
rail link to DC starts in 2016.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lol-its-good4U View Post
Then the RE will go uppity up.
No. It won't.

Rail (and not the high-speed rail coming to California) by regular Amtrak from Blacksburg will be something like a 4-hour trip to DC. Not exactly within commuting range. The RE will remain dead.

Old 10-01-2015, 08:37 PM

8 posts, read 10,425 times
We're about 25 minutes North of Charlottesville proper, still in Albemarle County. It's nice here, really nice college town, but the weather can be brutal (summer and winter (yeah its relative) and there's a lot of the southern culture that isn't that great (confederate flags flying on pickup trucks all over these days).

Old 10-02-2015, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carrerascott View Post
We're about 25 minutes North of Charlottesville proper, still in Albemarle County. It's nice here, really nice college town, but the weather can be brutal (summer and winter (yeah its relative) and there's a lot of the southern culture that isn't that great (confederate flags flying on pickup trucks all over these days).
Yeah, reminds me of all the Mexican flags in CA, especially on May 5th.

Old 10-02-2015, 12:31 PM

2,645 posts, read 3,328,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post
Yeah, reminds me of all the Mexican flags in CA, especially on May 5th.
Or the Irish flags on March 17th?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California