Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2009, 11:10 PM

1,837 posts, read 4,148,902 times

Advertisements

Hi, I just had to add my two cents worth. I lived in San Diego County for 10-years and Orange County for 9-years. I have LOTS of friends in the area. I was 23 when I moved there and couldn't make it financially. I thought it was too crowded and I was disappointed. I had this idea that it was beautiful and there were palm trees everywhere (sort of like the postcards). I was in for the biggest eye-opener of my life. Everything is basically cement except for the beach areas. The beach is crowded, the sand is grey, the water cold and it takes a long time to get to the beach because the freeways are a mess most of the time. If you are caucasian you are a minority and in all the nineteen years that I lived there I couldn't afford to buy a house. None of my friends own houses only their parents who bought years ago. I am not going to lie and tell you that there are no beautiful places there cause there are plenty of nice spots, but unless you are a very wealthy person you have to live inland and then it isn't so nice. Very congested, smoggy and lots of concrete or desert and hot. Personally I didn't like it and prayed for 15 years to move. Then I was able to move to Oregon which is beautiful. I agree with one person on this post that said something about Santa Barbara. It is so pretty there. I am not sure of the cost of living. Good luck to you, do your research and take a long visit before you move there because it is hard to afford to leave once you get there. I have kids now and wouldn't want to raise a family in that type of madhouse. Mostly everyone that I have met that used to live there agrees with me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2011, 03:07 PM

1 posts, read 4,794 times
There is no better place to live in the united states other than Southern California. You'll hear a lot of people say its expensive, and it is. It's over crowded... the large cities are, you'll hear about smog... and its not nearly as bad as its made out to be. Most people who speak poorly of california, have never even been here, and if they've visited... its extremely hard to visit the entire state, so its based off a week or two of vacation. San Diego is so large, that there is plenty of places within the city that are not expensive (in comparison to the rest of the state). Orange County is extremely expensive BUT very worth it. Beautiful people live there. L.A. County is filled with GREAT universities. Expensive areas, and none expensive areas and like in any other part of the country... if its cheap to live there, its usually not that nice. Every city has a "ghetto." North of L.A. is Ventura County which is not nearly as populated as the last 3 counties. And Santa Barbara is north of that... from Santa Barbara south to San Diego... anywhere inbetween is a great place to live. Especially at the beach. If you move to So. Cal, you'll never move back unless you can't afford it. It is the best place to live. I'm thankful for all the people who knock down california... because they'll never come here and experience why all the people with money choose to live here.

Old 04-22-2011, 07:57 AM

1 posts, read 4,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moorejoanna View Post
My cousin and I are planning on making a move from Wisconsin to somewhere on the coast. I'm interested in southern California. I read many of the threads on San Diego, which was our top choice..but most of them are negative. We're college students with somewhat low income/budgets. So what's the best area in southern cali to move to? Obviously San Diego is really exp. so now I'm looking for any other cool towns/cities that would be more in our price range.

Right now in Wisconsin my cousin and I both pay around 300-400 a month for rent. The apartment I rent in Madison WI is 950 a month for 3 bedrooms.

Any info/opinions would be greatly appreciated!! Thanks.
Did you have any luck with the move? I'm looking into doing the same thing, moving from Blah Blah Milwaukee... I realize this post is from 2008, but I thought I'd give it a try.

Old 10-13-2011, 05:19 PM

2 posts, read 5,152 times
Hi,RYDoggz71
unfortunetly,I both agree and disagree with you. Yeh I believe the reach people choose to live in S.c like my husband.We moved here from Toronto.we had the same income in both countries($100.000/Year)
and he chose Irvine. we didnot have any saving in Toronto but here we can save easily $1500 monthly.
everything is cheaper than canada, but the people here are not freindly at all. so mean, so unpolite, looks like uneducated people and I am sorry for myself for miving here. I think a yonge people will be depress here. nothing to do. just 3- shopping center crowded with untrained dogs. Here , people are nothing . customer service negetive. Around streets just smell bathroom. all kind of bugs you can find at home. 2 times my cars wheels were stolen. unbelevable............I wish my husband choose to go back to Toronto, where everybody have the same rights and cares about the people.

Old 10-13-2011, 06:55 PM

12,671 posts, read 23,804,334 times
What about Beverly Hills?

Old 03-30-2012, 05:51 PM

1 posts, read 3,655 times
hi there i am planning on moving to southern california, i love the heat and want a fun lot to do atmosphere, it has to be safe though i am 23 and just had a baby 9 months ago and im planning on going back to college to study and my partnor wants to work in construction. we want to buy a house, but until we find one we will be renting, so if anyone knows of any good sugestions please keep me posted, thanks

Old 03-31-2012, 03:30 PM

22,660 posts, read 24,589,306 times
My opinion of the best place.......where I would live if I had the money??? That is an easy one....!!! NEAR but not in a big city and very close to the water....like Ja Jolla or Cardiff.

Not close to large amounts of doper/drunks/bums/broken-down-rv-bums or other assorted dreck.

Old 03-31-2012, 03:40 PM

1 posts, read 3,639 times
Default best place to live in Southern California

If you have marketable or unique work/career skills, then any place in S.C. would be good for you. Would it not make more sense for you to complete your college education in Wisconsin, and then move to California?

Old 03-31-2012, 04:02 PM

1,320 posts, read 2,698,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie46 View Post
Hi,RYDoggz71
unfortunetly,I both agree and disagree with you. Yeh I believe the reach people choose to live in S.c like my husband.We moved here from Toronto.we had the same income in both countries($100.000/Year)
and he chose Irvine. we didnot have any saving in Toronto but here we can save easily $1500 monthly.
everything is cheaper than canada, but the people here are not freindly at all. so mean, so unpolite, looks like uneducated people and I am sorry for myself for miving here. I think a yonge people will be depress here. nothing to do. just 3- shopping center crowded with untrained dogs. Here , people are nothing . customer service negetive. Around streets just smell bathroom. all kind of bugs you can find at home. 2 times my cars wheels were stolen. unbelevable............I wish my husband choose to go back to Toronto, where everybody have the same rights and cares about the people.
Darlin', check your post for grammar and spelling, understand?

Old 03-31-2012, 11:18 PM

128 posts, read 455,218 times
Unless you got bank, over 100k, you will live like a rat. Be prepared for the california machine to eat u up and spit u out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California