Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2015, 09:22 PM

78 posts, read 140,051 times

Advertisements

So, I was driving around town the other day and saw the big tall sign for the Stardust Hotel and just under this sign was another sign about Clearies. The only sign that caught my attention was the Stardust sign. We all know these seedy hotel/motel places are used by druggies and prostitutes and God only know what else goes on in these places.

Why not demolish these eyesore hotel/motel places? (All of them) The people who frequent them can move on to bigger cities where they can be better absorbed.

There also needs to be more for families and kids to do.

I believe the city would also greatly benefit from a zoo and a state university. These places would bring jobs and people with higher standards and intellect.

A museum about Redding and northern California would also be a nice touch.

Just my two cents.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2015, 09:54 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,500,469 times
I love the old signs, but not the seedy people downtown.

I think a state college or university would be a great place to start. With one in place, more improvements would naturally follow.

A panhandling law would help, too. A loitering law would help.

The homeless problem in Redding is severe, especially downtown. It's like Night of the Living Dead.

There used to be posters I saw downtown that said, "Please Don't Feed the Problem," saying to give to charities in town if you want to help the homeless, but please don't give them cash. If Redding could really promote that, I think it would help.

Last edited by NoMoreSnowForMe; 10-11-2015 at 10:03 PM..

Old 10-12-2015, 07:55 PM

5,752 posts, read 2,781,288 times
Instead of a new college maybe just growing enrollment at the ones already here? As to the homeless, it is something I noticed pretty quick. I've always noted more homeless in warm weather states though. In MN, being homeless can kill you about six months out of the year, so it just doesn't happen as much.

Old 10-13-2015, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCbaxter View Post
Instead of a new college maybe just growing enrollment at the ones already here? As to the homeless, it is something I noticed pretty quick. I've always noted more homeless in warm weather states though. In MN, being homeless can kill you about six months out of the year, so it just doesn't happen as much.

The difference between local small colleges, and getting a state college or university is huge. With a state college/university, you will draw people from all over the state or even other states. Otherwise, you're just educating the locals, and that won't fix the problem we're talking about. I don't see Redding changing without a major outside influence or lots of new blood.

You're right about the weather affecting the homeless population. But, if the community doesn't "feed" the problem, they tend to move to greener pastures. Where I live, for instance, the homeless problem is really minor. The cops move them along out of the touristy park areas, and the locals rarely give out handouts. So, they tend to move on to other towns that give them succor. The homeless network/grapevine is alive and well. They know where they can go to get support. If your town is stingy with support, they'll go somewhere else.

The mission in Redding actually has the right idea. They'll help out and let you stay there for 30 days. If you don't make a serious effort to get a job and get on your feet, that's it. But, if you do, they will continue to help you so you can save up for a security deposit, etc.

The problem is that other charities will continue to give handouts after the mission has given them a fair shake. So why leave? And as you say, the weather isn't so severe, that they can't live in a camp. And, the cops have a hard time breaking up the camps.

Any homeless person who sincerely doesn't want to be homeless and is willing to conform to a reasonable degree, can get lots of help to do so.

Old 10-14-2015, 02:00 PM

3,887 posts, read 4,540,926 times
My hubby and I were just up there a few weeks ago visiting... went swimming at Brandy Beach at Whiskeytown Lake... lol, in spite of the hot weather, that water is cold! It actually hurts getting in, but once in, ya don't want to get out! Took a nice walk up the creek and was flooded with memories of picnicking with family there while swatting away the meat bees.

Also went to Jack's Grill on California Street! Was a little hesitant, because after years of amazing steaks, they had a slump with whoever was providing their beef. Happy to say Jack's in back! The ghosts of steaks past have come alive again on that grill!

It just puzzles me how this town is having so many problems, but I've read here and also have heard from my brother that there is a good old boys thing going on in government. Can't confirm it, but I read someone claim Redding takes money to let other counties ship their parolees there.
My husband thinks the location is too isolated, but it's only a few hours from Sacramento, and there are other isolation cities that do better I'm sure...
Yeah, it's hot, but so is Phoenix... and Redding is prettier!
But yeah, Redding seems to have gotten "stuck".

Old 10-14-2015, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
I love the old signs, but not the seedy people downtown.

I think a state college or university would be a great place to start. With one in place, more improvements would naturally follow.

A panhandling law would help, too. A loitering law would help.

The homeless problem in Redding is severe, especially downtown. It's like Night of the Living Dead.

There used to be posters I saw downtown that said, "Please Don't Feed the Problem," saying to give to charities in town if you want to help the homeless, but please don't give them cash. If Redding could really promote that, I think it would help.
You are absolutely right! I swear some of them look like and walk like zombies, you'd think you were watching "The Walking Dead" being filmed!
We were in town recently and there seems to be an increase of really crazy looking people. It's really sad and horrible for the town, as well as the addicted or mentally ill lonesome souls.

BTW Snow, we returned home via the coast after an extensive road trip in the PNW. I waved at you as we were passing Cresent City! Beautiful area... stopped and watch male elk knock antlers near Trinidad.

Old 10-14-2015, 02:19 PM

117 posts, read 149,770 times
I've talked about Redding more times than I can recall on this forum. Finally, I have things arranged so I can come up there by myself and spend 4-5 days there. I'm going there by myself, but I haven't decided how I will travel up there. If I can't make it up there within the next 3-4 weeks I will wait until March.

I will finally be able to see for myself this mystical town that I've heard so much about over the years. I also plan on filing a full report here on what I see and my thoughts and opinions on the city.

As far as what was said about "the good ol' boys" environment I have to say that this type of corruption goes on everywhere, especially in the smaller and out of the way counties that most Californians and Sacramento tend not to pay close attention to. I live in Fresno and have lived in Bakersfield, Kings County and several other cities/counties, and so Redding is going to have to try really hard to top these places.

Ever since Google Maps has come about I've taken virtual tours all the Redding and Shasta county and the first I noticed is that Redding looks almost exactly like Fresno in the way that it's layed out and the mixture of old and new buildings and typical ranch homes. The only difference is that Fresno doesn't have a major river running through it.

Old 10-14-2015, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Podo944 View Post

BTW Snow, we returned home via the coast after an extensive road trip in the PNW. I waved at you as we were passing Cresent City! Beautiful area... stopped and watch male elk knock antlers near Trinidad.
So that was you! LOL.

Just a little diversion...I was at the state park beach here a while back with my dog, and there were all these hoof prints in the sand. It looked like cowboys had run a herd of 100 cattle on the beach. I asked someone what they thought it was all about, and he said it was the elk! So, apparently, the elk herds actually go play on the beach! I'd love to see that.

Old 10-15-2015, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
So that was you! LOL.

Just a little diversion...I was at the state park beach here a while back with my dog, and there were all these hoof prints in the sand. It looked like cowboys had run a herd of 100 cattle on the beach. I asked someone what they thought it was all about, and he said it was the elk! So, apparently, the elk herds actually go play on the beach! I'd love to see that.
Elks on the beach! Wow, that would be a cool sight to see!

Btw, I love it up there! Now back in the heat, the crowds and the traffic in the So. Cal scrub desert.

Old 10-15-2015, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Another Place View Post
I've talked about Redding more times than I can recall on this forum. Finally, I have things arranged so I can come up there by myself and spend 4-5 days there. I'm going there by myself, but I haven't decided how I will travel up there. If I can't make it up there within the next 3-4 weeks I will wait until March.

I will finally be able to see for myself this mystical town that I've heard so much about over the years. I also plan on filing a full report here on what I see and my thoughts and opinions on the city.

As far as what was said about "the good ol' boys" environment I have to say that this type of corruption goes on everywhere, especially in the smaller and out of the way counties that most Californians and Sacramento tend not to pay close attention to. I live in Fresno and have lived in Bakersfield, Kings County and several other cities/counties, and so Redding is going to have to try really hard to top these places.

Ever since Google Maps has come about I've taken virtual tours all the Redding and Shasta county and the first I noticed is that Redding looks almost exactly like Fresno in the way that it's layed out and the mixture of old and new buildings and typical ranch homes. The only difference is that Fresno doesn't have a major river running through it.
I think you'll like Redding then. Personally I've always thought Redding's gotten a bad rap. There's no doubt it has it's problems with drug addicts and mentally ill. Even 20 years ago there was a big billboard coming into town warning people to watch their kids, because of all the sex offenders dumped there. Again I hear it was the case of the town receiving money to take them in or something. Grrr...

Nevertheless, I'm fond of the place. All the usual conveniences are there as well as a stadium theater, Starbucks and other signs of civilization... plenty of restaurants off Hilltop Drive, there's "Lumberjacks" on Cypress for an awesome breakfast, Turtle Bay, the bridge and the river trail is great for a bike ride, just watch out for rattlers basking in the sun on the trail!

My older half brother lives up in the "Old Shasta" area and has been content there. He's not far from the "Courthouse Museum" and a 10 minute drive to Whiskeytown lake. He's always loved the history there and putters on his property.

Another little place to check out up there is past the lake called French Gulch. It's really run down these days, but we used to go the the French Gulch Hotel for dinner every year since I was a young teen. As a young adult I had my first White Russian in the bar and got drunk! Ha ha!
There's also an old cemetery there, and saw my first headstone from the 1800's, and the deer come out in the evening. I think the hotel keeps getting sold, and maybe it's hey day is over and yes it's pretty isolated out there, but French Gulch is, or was, pretty. I wish someone would get that hotel going again... it was really neat.

Anyway, looking forward to your report! Have a wonderful time!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California