Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2015, 06:00 PM

1,199 posts, read 1,642,467 times

Advertisements

I just asked for his source, not his bias opinion. Insultes are his MO. My posts may get deleted but thats do to responding and falls into fighting IMHO

Last edited by sourdough; 10-19-2015 at 07:08 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2015, 03:06 PM

371 posts, read 337,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenZephyr View Post
I agree native plants that are native to Mediterranean climates are fine.

However, tell that to those who tear up a beautiful green space to pave it over with gravel and a couple of out of place cactus, ugly and climatologically inappropriate. Not to mention that a rocked over yard is bad for the soil and the equivalent of paving it over.

TURF TERMINATORS HAS GOTTEN RICH TURNING YARDS INTO GRAVEL, BUT IS IT CREATING BLIGHT?

However, some grass is actually good to have, the war on grass is waged by those who hate the idea of suburban life and will use the "drought" to try and destroy a way of life. Using perpetual "drought" is a convenient and powerful tool.
I would agree.

I think I would be down for getting those rebates turned into plants only initiatives...maybe more focus on native plant propagation? I could see yards like that one blanketed with a mixture of Artemisia californica and a low growing Ceanothus for example. Throw in some might Hesperoyucca whipplei or Dudleyas in a rock outcrop. Native-esque ground cover enough.

Hell maybe just put in a bunch of rosemary.

Besides-everywhere would then smell amazing.

Old 10-20-2015, 03:49 PM

1,546 posts, read 2,950,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenZephyr View Post
I agree native plants that are native to Mediterranean climates are fine.

However, tell that to those who tear up a beautiful green space to pave it over with gravel and a couple of out of place cactus, ugly and climatologically inappropriate. Not to mention that a rocked over yard is bad for the soil and the equivalent of paving it over.

There was even an unscrupulous company that was taking rebates and leaving paved over gravel yards in their wake. However, city "leaders" in Pacoima actually gave them an award trumpeting that they were "helping us change, and leading the way". The blight created by acres and acres of construction gravel in peoples yards where greenspace once flourished is tragic and environmentally destructive. However, it was encouraged for a while by politicos who hated a green lawn so much, they'd rather see green paved over with rock.

TURF TERMINATORS HAS GOTTEN RICH TURNING YARDS INTO GRAVEL, BUT IS IT CREATING BLIGHT?

However, some grass is actually good to have, the war on grass is waged by those who hate the idea of suburban life and will use the "drought" to try and destroy a way of life. Using perpetual "drought" is a convenient and powerful tool.
But the problem is that to have any credibility on this issue, lawn lovers would actually have to transform their own yards into Mediterranean and native Californian gardens instead of climatologically inappropriate turf grass. Somehow, I don't think that most of the people who argue so strongly against gravel are doing anything of the sort.

Old 10-20-2015, 06:32 PM

9,197 posts, read 16,808,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xeric View Post
But the problem is that to have any credibility on this issue, lawn lovers would actually have to transform their own yards into Mediterranean and native Californian gardens instead of climatologically inappropriate turf grass. Somehow, I don't think that most of the people who argue so strongly against gravel are doing anything of the sort.
You're not necessarily addressing a very sophisticated audience when discussing alternatives to 50's suburbia to it's staunch cheerleaders in here, you may have noticed. The pretty shiny green stuff will not go away quietly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California