Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2015, 04:28 PM

25 posts, read 22,511 times

Advertisements

Hi All! I lived in CT all my life, now at 49 have an opportunity to get transferred to East Bay, CA. I mostly work from home with occasional visits to my customers. I don't have to live in any particular area/city. Looking for a safe neighborhood to rent a house for up to $2,800 a month and a good high school for my son. I'm considering moving for 2 main reasons- sick of shoveling & driving in the snow and more opportunities for my kids. I have 2 musician sons who want to move to a place where the music scene is not dead yet like here in CT. I also like to be outdoors more and not stuck in the house all winter (up to 6 months). We took a trip to East Bay in August to check it out, stayed in Alameda for a week while taking day trips to nearby towns. My sister used to live in Alameda years ago before moving to Seattle, WA, so I was familiar with that area. We've visited Pinole, Hercules, Benicia, San Leandro, Martinez, Berkley, Dublin, San Ramon didn't get to explore South Bay area due to limited time. Cannot say one of these above mentioned towns jumped out at us as a great places to live. Berkley seemed gritty w/obvious drug problems, Benicia & Martinez had large oil refineries. San Leandro looked run down. I read on-line about fights at Hercules high school as well as many other high schools, and it raised some concerns as my son is currently in a very safe highschool with no fights or riots. Some days, I think moving is a good idea, where others I'm not so sure. I would really appreciate everyone's input, especially, if someone moved from East coast to CA recently. How do 2 states compare? Was it a good move? What about Monterey, Brentwood, Discovery Bay? What other areas I should consider?
Thank you in advance!

Last edited by GbaileyCT; 10-24-2015 at 04:41 PM.. Reason: gramma
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2015, 06:02 PM

8,214 posts, read 16,695,180 times
Hi Gbailey,

Welcome to the CA forum. Overall, I am sure you would enjoy the outdoor year round opportunities CA has to offer. There is also a lot going on regarding the music scene, generally speaking. As you know California is a very large state and within it, the greater Bay Area is large and very diverse in and of itself. You have everything from poorer, more dangerous places to very safe, very nice locations and a lot in between. As you have noticed upon visiting, things vary. So, there will not be one right answer as to whether it (as in CA) will be a good fit for you. Rather, this will boil down to specific areas which meet your criteria *and* are within your budget.

I would also recommend posting this question about the specific East Bay towns you've mentioned in the San Francisco forum where you'll hear more from the locals in those areas. I am familiar with them but have never lived there. So, I don't want to make sweeping generalizations about them regarding crime, safety, schools, etc...

However, I do know Monterey very well. We also have a sub forum where more details are discussed regarding our area. I can tell you that the majority of your criteria could be easily met here if you find the right place within your budget. We have with our three children. We lease and have great homeowners who we couldn't be happier with. And this was a real blessing for us for sure. Yet, the rents are generally higher than what we pay. If you look and are somewhat flexible I think you could find a place.

Monterey has a cool Jazz/Music scene. You may have heard of the Monterey Jazz festival. We have other music events as well. My son was fortunate enough to go to Summer Jazz camp this year and work with professional Jazz musicians. It was a great time. They have a traveling clinician's program where they go to the local schools and work with kids encouraging music education.

I think you will probably hear a lot of folks tell you its very expensive to live in CA which can be true, depending on where you live. The key will be finding the right place which meets your needs and is still within your budget. Start with Craigslist which is a great resource to get an idea. Here are a few examples in Monterey:

https://monterey.craigslist.org/apa/5269209801.html

https://monterey.craigslist.org/apa/5258267598.html

The first one is a great house! We have friends of the family who just moved out. So, I've seen the inside. It's a deal though, that's for sure.

Derek

Last edited by MtnSurfer; 10-24-2015 at 07:03 PM..

Old 10-24-2015, 07:22 PM

Hi Derek, your response made me feel better about the whole "crazy" idea of moving. I took your advice and posted my inquiry in the San Francisco forum. Also checked the Craigslist links and liked the first house a lot. The music scene sounds exciting.

Old 10-24-2015, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GbaileyCT View Post
Hi Derek, your response made me feel better about the whole "crazy" idea of moving. I took your advice and posted my inquiry in the San Francisco forum. Also checked the Craigslist links and liked the first house a lot. The music scene sounds exciting.
Glad to hear it, Gbailey. It's not crazy. There is nothing wrong with wanting to experience something different for both you and your kiddos.

You know what is perhaps the coolest thing that has inspired our kids in the area is this free to the public annual music festival. Kids from middle school through college come here to compete with their groups from all over the nation. The winners can win scholarships, gigs, and a spot at the Monterey Jazz Festival. It's totally awesome to witness their talent and enthusiasm for music. Its my favorite event of the year:

Next Generation Jazz Festival

Bottom line: Don't give up on your dreams for you and your family regardless of what some may say.

Derek

Old 10-24-2015, 08:33 PM

Here is a little taste of what its like watching the pros work with these talented kids. I got to see this performance this Summer as apart of the Jazz Camp:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=laLHkIGstdg

Derek

Old 10-25-2015, 12:33 AM

18,813 posts, read 32,495,141 times
Do you have more than one thread going? I could swear I just answered this question on another thread.

Old 10-25-2015, 05:45 AM

26,726 posts, read 26,798,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
Do you have more than one thread going? I could swear I just answered this question on another thread.
Yep. //www.city-data.com/forum/calif...moving-ca.html

Old 10-25-2015, 07:10 AM

Thank you for all of your responses! Yes, I was advised to post my thread on San Francisco forum to get more specifics information about the area.

Old 10-25-2015, 12:42 PM

4 posts, read 4,617 times
Hi GbaileyCT,

I am also living on East Coast (MA) and wanting to move to East Bay CA too.. I'm so done with the winters and the lack of opportunities for my boys. My youngest is a sax player and the oldest wants to study Architecture and San Francisco offers summer programs for high schoolers to study the field. You are fortunate that you can do a job transfer I have applied to numerous positions to no avail. My family was in CA in July and we enjoyed the Brentwood area. Another forum contributor did not agree that Brentwood was acceptable, but again it is all in what you want and need for living. Definitely check out greatschools.com for the higher ranking schools in the SF Bay area, you will find the better the schools the more expensive the housing.
My sister lives in SF and has for 11 years and says she will never move back East.
Good luck with your search.

Old 10-25-2015, 02:32 PM

7,372 posts, read 16,012,366 times
Moraga, Orinda, and Pleasanton. Closer to the bay and you're in a really crowded freeway corridor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California