Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2015, 01:52 PM

2,986 posts, read 4,577,410 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by boiselover View Post
Honestly its common sense when I got here I took it without studying passed with flying colors no worries
some of the questions are. some are most certainly not common sense. and as I recall you can only miss like 5 questions out of 20 or something like that
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2015, 01:53 PM

13,583 posts, read 15,662,103 times
I hope it is correct. I'm sick of out-of-staters blowing through crosswalks within mere inches of pedestrians and doing other things that are illegal.

Old 10-28-2015, 07:50 PM

1,705 posts, read 1,600,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb73 View Post
Maybe because California has no idea whether you've actually passed a test elsewhere or the old state "just accepted your other drivers license."

Go online, download the manual, read it through. You'll be fine.
I happen to be from a place where driving is probably more difficult than the most congested places in California and where it is more densely populated than the SF Bay Area. If anyone didn't pass a test in their home state - regardless of whether it's New York or Kansas - they wouldn't be issued a license.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exitus Acta Probat View Post
I hope it is correct. I'm sick of out-of-staters blowing through crosswalks within mere inches of pedestrians and doing other things that are illegal.
You seem to think that perhaps California is the only place where people "know how to drive"? I guess with that logic, Californians never do anything illegal on the road and everyone else does? No, we don't blow through cross walks or stop signs. There are bad drivers everywhere - including California.

Old 10-28-2015, 09:30 PM

13,583 posts, read 15,662,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SageCats View Post

You seem to think that perhaps California is the only place where people "know how to drive"? I guess with that logic, Californians never do anything illegal on the road and everyone else does? No, we don't blow through cross walks or stop signs. There are bad drivers everywhere - including California.
I did not imply that.

I do not like people blowing through crosswalks, coming close to hitting pedestrians. People from other states need to drive more cautiously here.

Old 10-29-2015, 07:19 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,505,733 times
That's kind of funny. When I moved to Silicon Valley, I couldn't believe how insane the drivers were. Then I read statistics that there were a higher amount of immigrants in SV than .... I forget - the rest of the state? Anyway, many of those immigrants NEVER drove before they came here. And they came from countries where you have to drive like a maniac or never get anywhere - China, India, Mexico, for instance.

Just one example of something that happened to me several times in SV: An Indian woman stopping in the middle of the road, while she figured out where she was or whatever. Just stopped. In the middle of the road. Everyone screeching on their brakes, honking and making their way around her.

I worked with an Indian woman and she used to joke about it. Their car was all dented from her learning curve.

So, it really depends where in CA you're talking about. But, if you're moving to SV, get good insurance and drive defensively!

Old 10-30-2015, 12:10 PM

1,705 posts, read 1,600,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
That's kind of funny. When I moved to Silicon Valley, I couldn't believe how insane the drivers were. Then I read statistics that there were a higher amount of immigrants in SV than .... I forget - the rest of the state? Anyway, many of those immigrants NEVER drove before they came here. And they came from countries where you have to drive like a maniac or never get anywhere - China, India, Mexico, for instance.

Just one example of something that happened to me several times in SV: An Indian woman stopping in the middle of the road, while she figured out where she was or whatever. Just stopped. In the middle of the road. Everyone screeching on their brakes, honking and making their way around her.

I worked with an Indian woman and she used to joke about it. Their car was all dented from her learning curve.

So, it really depends where in CA you're talking about. But, if you're moving to SV, get good insurance and drive defensively!
That is exactly my impression when I first got here. Then, a coworker told me that the mentality on the road in his country (India) is "Me, only". I see plenty of that here in the crazy way people drive around here. I also noticed that the other cars around here are all dented and banged up. Or they are older cars from the late 90s and 2000s where one wouldn't care too much if it was dented and banged up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California