Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2015, 03:38 PM

3 posts, read 3,016 times

Advertisements

My fiance and I are looking to relocate to California. She is a Canadian (I'm American) and once we're married we want to move down there for better job opportunities and the nice weather, beaches, etc. We visit often (Venice, Disneyland/Anaheim, SF)...Looking for a populated area with little crime, but realistically affordable for two young people in their late 20's, bringing in roughly 90-100k a year combined income. We would like a place where there are good beaches and parks to walk our dogs, good public transit or have jobs/stores accessible by walking (I drive, she does not, but eventually will have to when living in California). Trying to avoid dirty cities. We were thinking San Diego somewhere, or even more north like Santa Cruz...but after talking to some people a friend suggested the South Bay area?

Thanks for any suggestions or help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2015, 03:52 PM

8,452 posts, read 15,046,521 times
So are you saying that you two have an income of $90-100k without having to commute or be somewhere physically, like having online jobs?

Old 10-30-2015, 04:03 PM

No I can commute and work. She does as well, but currently in Vancouver BC she uses the Skytrain access as transit. In California, for at least a little while she would like to live in a area where she can commute to work via public transit or walking while she works on getting her US license.

thanks - sorry for the mis understanding

Old 10-30-2015, 04:08 PM

764 posts, read 2,037,395 times
Affordable doesn't really go along with low crime, nice beaches, etc.

Figure out which cities/regions are hiring in your fields and go from there. Jobs come first.

Old 10-30-2015, 04:33 PM

8,452 posts, read 15,046,521 times
Getting a driver's license for your fiancee quickly is just a matter of going to driving school, so don't base your location on access to public transportation.

Look at Pasadena, Burbank, Ventura, if you can get jobs there.

Old 10-30-2015, 07:53 PM

1,722 posts, read 1,743,572 times
South bay area over Santa Cruz county? Why? Makes no sense to me. You want to, for example, be near the ocean / beautiful beaches but your friend suggests San Jose, et al over Santa Cruz. That's silly.
Santa Cruz county (don't limit yourself to Santa Cruz proper), though over populated at this point (somewhat of / something like a bedroom community of Silicon Valley now), is still a rather amazing place to live if you can find a good dwelling. And there are many areas throughout the county where the population issue is avoidable (except when on the road during commuter times). With a combined income of 100K you should be able to find a nice place to live. You'll have your choice of semi-urban, sub-urban and rural living. One of the cool things about this area is that you can live immersed in nature (if you want) and yet have relatively easy access to all that you need re; shopping, culture / entertainment, hospitals, etc., etc..
We're on the most beautiful Monterey bay. Mountains, redwoods, ocean.
The bus system throughout the county is excellent. There are many people in their 20's and 30's in the county. It's a very liberal and tolerant area with an excellent music scene, art, strong surf culture, beautiful beaches, good weather (never too hot near the coast) rainy winters (if it ever rains again) but with sunny days between the rains where often only a sweatshirt and sometimes just a t-shirt are all that's needed. Loads of hiking trails throughout the redwoods, mountain biking, road biking.
Monterey county is another option ... just south of S.C. county. The towns in that county to consider are Monterey, Carmel and Pacific Grove. It's also a great place to live. A bit more fog, slightly cooler temperatures, less populated. less "happening" and a bit more conventional (in the good sense).
I'm biased (but for good reasons ) but i'd choose this area over Southern California and the S.F. bay area.

Last edited by blueskywalker; 10-30-2015 at 08:04 PM..

Old 10-30-2015, 10:00 PM

8,391 posts, read 7,648,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adriatica View Post
Affordable doesn't really go along with low crime, nice beaches, etc.

Figure out which cities/regions are hiring in your fields and go from there. Jobs come first.
This is exactly the right advice. Find jobs, then figure out where to live.

It's not as easy to line up $50,000 - $100,000 jobs here as folks seem to expect.

Don't move here without a job lined up for at least one of you.

Old 10-31-2015, 01:33 AM

Thanks for the replies. We don't plan to move without jobs first lined up, for at least one of us. Also - South Bay as in the Torrance area is what my friend was suggesting.

Old 10-31-2015, 01:53 AM

1,180 posts, read 3,127,660 times
First, Southern California is not known for great public transportation. While getting along without a car is doable, it is definitely not convenient.

And, yes, San Diego would be doable on $90-100K assuming you'd get that salary here. But, you need to have a job before you move or have a minimum of 3 months living expenses (6 months would be better). If I was in my 20s and moved to San Diego, I'd be looking at Pacific Beach, Hillcrest, Little Italy, or Mission Beach.

Frankly, that salary level would be doable but very low for San Francisco, especially in the City.

Old 10-31-2015, 10:38 PM

8,391 posts, read 7,648,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skelaki View Post
If I was in my 20s and moved to San Diego, I'd be looking at Pacific Beach, Hillcrest, Little Italy, or Mission Beach.
Apartments in those areas will run $1600-2000 a month easily, so those areas might not be tight on a $90,000 combined salary.

Normal Heights, North Park, the College area, and Mission Valley would be less expensive. Some of the apartment complexes in Mission Valley are right on the Trolley line. La Mesa also has also apartment complexes near the Trolley line, and would be even less expensive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California