Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-31-2008, 08:31 PM

8 posts, read 45,423 times

Advertisements

Hi! I've read a lot of the SB threads here and most of the discussion is about real estate. I'll be making about $50,000 if I move there and will have to rent...

But my main question is about culture and attitudes... Would a vegetarian, middle class, non-conservative single 30-something woman fit in there? Is it a place that is mostly college kids and retirees?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2008, 09:03 PM

9,963 posts, read 18,494,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyystarz View Post
Hi! I've read a lot of the SB threads here and most of the discussion is about real estate. I'll be making about $50,000 if I move there and will have to rent...

But my main question is about culture and attitudes... Would a vegetarian, middle class, non-conservative single 30-something woman fit in there? Is it a place that is mostly college kids and retirees?
No you would hate it IMO.

Is it a place that is mostly rich college kids and rich retirees..

Old 02-01-2008, 08:00 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,739,305 times
Quote:

You'd totally fit in. When I was a grad student there, I was in my mid thirties so I didn't really hang out too much with the college kids. I ended up making friends with locals. Many of them "seemed" to me to be like what you describe. I mean, yes there are all sorts of people there college kids and rich retired people too but there are lots of people in your demographic too.

Meeting people with similar interests will be the last thing to worry about. It might be more worrisome finding suitable housing and saving for retirement and buying gas and paying for non-free entertainment and commuting to ventura county for a various things and buying car insurance...those types of things.

Old 02-01-2008, 11:38 AM

1,474 posts, read 2,917,615 times
Quote:

You would TOTALLY fit in. I am 30 something woman but married NO kids. Most of my friends are either single or married with no kids. Of the places I can think of in SB county and SLO county, you would LOVE it here and probably not so much other places. Let me know if you have any specific questions. My mother in law is single and would move here in a heartbeat if her job were closer. When she lived here when she was in her early 40's, she really liked it but had to move for her job (she wanted to be an interpetor for the gov and needed to be near DC). Don't let people tell you SB is snobby. People are very friendly with the exception of a few and that can be said for just about anywhere.

Old 02-01-2008, 10:30 PM

110 posts, read 752,847 times
Yes you'd fit in perfectly. I have lived in SB for decades & there are many like you in SB. At some point you may want to move if you want a family or home, depending on your income &/or that of your mate, but for now it will be ideal for you.

Old 02-15-2008, 11:18 AM

8 posts, read 45,423 times
Default Rents & Real Estate sky high

Thank you for your replies.

After doing some searching on Craigslist to see what to expect to pay for apartments, etc... I decided against relocating to Santa Barbara. I don't want to have to have roommates, which seems to be the case. And it would be sad to never be able to own my own home. I'm not snobby by any means, but I don't like the idea of being a 2nd class citizen, and that seems to be the case for working, middle class people there.

Old 02-16-2008, 10:13 AM

2,916 posts, read 11,076,204 times
Quote:
Thank you for your replies.

After doing some searching on Craigslist to see what to expect to pay for apartments, etc... I decided against relocating to Santa Barbara. I don't want to have to have roommates, which seems to be the case. And it would be sad to never be able to own my own home. I'm not snobby by any means, but I don't like the idea of being a 2nd class citizen, and that seems to be the case for working, middle class people there.
I think you got the gist of Santa Barbara, and it was interesting to observe the circle. Your first post requested info on something other than housing -- your interests, relationship status, political views, etc. On those things you would have no problems in Santa Barbara. But, a little more research and ultimately you're decision not to relocate there came down to housing. It's just about impossible to have a discussion about Santa Barbara without confronting the cost of housing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
View detailed profiles of: