Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2015, 12:02 AM

1,457 posts, read 6,031,492 times

Advertisements

I found a fairy north of Orick in Redwood National Park last week.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2015, 12:14 AM

3,887 posts, read 4,542,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by payutenyodagimas View Post
go to Yosemite for the Sequoias... worth the trip if you have time
Aside from the grove of Sequoias in Yosemite, you actually be seeing YOSEMITE! Which in itself is epic if you have the time for the extra few days. BTW, the first time we went to Yosemite, we stayed just outside the park and just did one full day in and around the valley floor. We rented bikes and it was a blast! Such an awe inspiring place! It was May so much of the park wasn't open yet anyway, but the waterfall was very powerful!

Old 11-08-2015, 12:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Podo944 View Post
Aside from the grove of Sequoias in Yosemite, you actually be seeing YOSEMITE! Which in itself is epic if you have the time for the extra few days. BTW, the first time we went to Yosemite, we stayed just outside the park and just did one full day in and around the valley floor. We rented bikes and it was a blast! Such an awe inspiring place! It was May so much of the park wasn't open yet anyway, but the waterfall was very powerful!
By "the grove" did you mean Mariposa Grove which is alerted as closed until 2017?

Old 11-08-2015, 02:20 PM

102,210 posts, read 107,904,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueskywalker View Post
No one (well, no one who lives in and around the coastal redwoods) refers to the coastal redwoods as sequoias.
And that's the truth ... ruth.
Well.....the OP did. I've heard people from out of state refer to coastal redwoods as sequoias. Why wouldn't they? Unless they've grown up in CA or lived there awhile, or have studied redwoods, they wouldn't know to differentiate in anyway.

Old 11-08-2015, 02:31 PM

3,887 posts, read 4,542,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdvaden View Post
By "the grove" did you mean Mariposa Grove which is alerted as closed until 2017?
Oh bummer! I didn't know it was closed. I just knew there was one in case the travelers wanted to see Sequoias in an already amazing place, thus my enthusiasm for Yosemite. We actually didn't go to Mariposa to see them, instead we went to Sequoia Park to see the "General Sherman". Pretty darn amazing!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/General_Sherman_(tree)

Hmmm... now I'm craving a road trip!

Old 11-09-2015, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Podo944 View Post
Oh bummer! I didn't know it was closed. I just knew there was one in case the travelers wanted to see Sequoias in an already amazing place, thus my enthusiasm for Yosemite. We actually didn't go to Mariposa to see them, instead we went to Sequoia Park to see the "General Sherman". Pretty darn amazing!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/General_Sherman_(tree)

Hmmm... now I'm craving a road trip!
There are still some other hiking groves open near Yosemite.

Being so close to the Columbia Gorge up here and and the waterfalls, I suppose that's one reason the Coast Redwoods near Humboldt suffice for me ... plus that they basically match in size for those who know where to look.

The park visitor centers in the Coast Redwoods tend mention the height and and sort of down-play the size.

Old 11-09-2015, 07:00 PM

1,722 posts, read 1,743,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Well.....the OP did. I've heard people from out of state refer to coastal redwoods as sequoias. Why wouldn't they? Unless they've grown up in CA or lived there awhile, or have studied redwoods, they wouldn't know to differentiate in anyway.
Nit pickin i realize but the o.p. referred to both redwoods and sequoias and also, it sounds like she's from WA.
Anyway, coastal redwoods and sequoias are two different "animals" and the names are not interchangeable.

Old 11-09-2015, 07:01 PM

1,722 posts, read 1,743,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdvaden View Post
I found a fairy north of Orick in Redwood National Park last week.

cute

Old 11-10-2015, 11:07 AM

102,210 posts, read 107,904,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueskywalker View Post
Nit pickin i realize but the o.p. referred to both redwoods and sequoias and also, it sounds like she's from WA.
Anyway, coastal redwoods and sequoias are two different "animals" and the names are not interchangeable.
The coastal redwoods are sequoias. All the redwoods are sequoias (except for the non-native dawn redwoods), and all sequoias are redwoods. All the born-and-raised Californians I know refer to both types as redwoods. The Washingtonians I know (having lived in Seattle for 20 years) refer to all of them as sequoias. Both are correct.

Old 11-10-2015, 03:45 PM

1,963 posts, read 3,044,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
The coastal redwoods are sequoias. All the redwoods are sequoias (except for the non-native dawn redwoods), and all sequoias are redwoods. All the born-and-raised Californians I know refer to both types as redwoods. The Washingtonians I know (having lived in Seattle for 20 years) refer to all of them as sequoias. Both are correct.
Having been born in CA (as were both my parents) I know that Ruth is correct. Redwoods and sequoias are exactly the same thing (well, the difference is that 'sequoia' is the scientific name, and 'redwood' is the common name). Transplants (i.e., non-native species of humans ) may make a differentiation, but native Californians generally don't (unless speaking with someone from out-of-state). If you are a botanist, you may argue that the two types of trees are in different genera, although in the same subfamily (Sequoioideae) and thus closely related. But most people (well, Californians) don't differentiate between the two - they are all properly called either redwoods or sequoias, your choice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California