Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2015, 11:22 AM

912 posts, read 915,007 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by theraven24 View Post
And then we have people like this, non-Californians who've most likely never spent a great amount of time living in multiple parts of the state, who make broad generalizations.

Err, last I checked, you don't know anything about me. You don't know how long or where I've lived. I have a right to my opinion as you have a right to yours. But please refrain from attacking people and commenting on things you know nothing about, like the places I've lived.

And no, it wasn't a broad generalization. I said "not everyone". Selective reading much?

Please do not talk about things you know nothing about and do not selectively read posts.

Thank you.

P.S. Ironic that your username is The Raven. I hope you're not from Baltimore.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2015, 12:53 PM

6,416 posts, read 8,276,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvSouthOC View Post
Look, I like San Francisco, but you are very wrong. Los Angeles is a megacity; San Francisco is a small city, in a large region, and in an important state.
I never said LA wasn't a mega city- it definitely is. But if you're going to mention it in a discussion about Global Cities, you can't leave SF out of the discussion. Right now, SF is a lot more important than LA in terms of economic development.

Old 11-14-2015, 01:46 PM

3,814 posts, read 4,009,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 04kL4nD View Post
I never said LA wasn't a mega city- it definitely is. But if you're going to mention it in a discussion about Global Cities, you can't leave SF out of the discussion. Right now, SF is a lot more important than LA in terms of economic development.
I think you are confusing SF with Palo Alto, Cupertino, Menlo Park, and San Jose.

SF is really more of the cultural capitol. It's just where the opera, zoo, bank HQ's, and urbanity is.

The bay area economy revolves around San Mateo and Santa Clara counties. The rest of the bay is much less relevant in terms of GDP.

SF is economically irrelevant compared to LA, or even San Jose.

Last edited by WizardOfRadical; 11-14-2015 at 01:58 PM..

Old 11-14-2015, 02:03 PM

2,011 posts, read 3,551,744 times
I immediately think the person is from California. I know, weird.

Old 11-14-2015, 05:26 PM

6,416 posts, read 8,276,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WizardOfRadical View Post
I think you are confusing SF with Palo Alto, Cupertino, Menlo Park, and San Jose.

SF is really more of the cultural capitol. It's just where the opera, zoo, bank HQ's, and urbanity is.

The bay area economy revolves around San Mateo and Santa Clara counties. The rest of the bay is much less relevant in terms of GDP.

SF is economically irrelevant compared to LA, or even San Jose.
Right, well I meant BAY AREA. I said it in an earlier post. My point still stands. LA's economy is pretty sluggish right now, and while a lot pf people happen to live there, the Bay Area is a national and international economic powerhouse. You can't exclude SF from the conversation either, they're intertwined.

Old 11-14-2015, 06:19 PM

3,814 posts, read 4,009,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 04kL4nD View Post
Right, well I meant BAY AREA. I said it in an earlier post. My point still stands. LA's economy is pretty sluggish right now, and while a lot pf people happen to live there, the Bay Area is a national and international economic powerhouse. You can't exclude SF from the conversation either, they're intertwined.
LA's economy is not sluggish at all right now. Are you smoking sherm or in a 2008 time warp?

No one is saying the bay economy is not impressive, but it is pretty clear where most of it is coming from.

Old 11-14-2015, 06:34 PM
PDF

11,395 posts, read 13,414,536 times
Many people would love to live in California. When I had moved there, everyone was super jealous. Unfortunately, it's expensive and the competition there is insane.

Old 11-14-2015, 09:10 PM

290 posts, read 570,064 times
Los Angeles is a mega ghetto. All your cool areas arent even in the City of LA like Beverly Hills, Santa Monica or Universal City which are other municipalities, not LA. Also LA is loosing all its movie industry and Manufacturing Business. Slowly but surley LA is moving into the 3rd world while San Francisco up North becomes richer then NYC. Hahahaha

Old 11-14-2015, 10:49 PM

2,436 posts, read 2,793,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UserName14289 View Post
Err, last I checked, you don't know anything about me. You don't know how long or where I've lived. I have a right to my opinion as you have a right to yours. But please refrain from attacking people and commenting on things you know nothing about, like the places I've lived.

And no, it wasn't a broad generalization. I said "not everyone". Selective reading much?

Please do not talk about things you know nothing about and do not selectively read posts.

Thank you.

P.S. Ironic that your username is The Raven. I hope you're not from Baltimore.
My actual name is Raven. You should take your own advice and not talk about things you don't know about.

You said "a good majority." There are 40,000,000 people who live in this state. You are still generalizing a large amount of people, which is absurd.

I didn't attack you. If anything, you did the attacking. Speaking of selective reading, did I claim I knew where you lived and how long? Nope.

You're welcome.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California