Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2015, 07:49 AM

912 posts, read 915,628 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by theraven24 View Post
My actual name is Raven. You should take your own advice and not talk about things you don't know about.

You said "a good majority." There are 40,000,000 people who live in this state. You are still generalizing a large amount of people, which is absurd.

I didn't attack you. If anything, you did the attacking. Speaking of selective reading, did I claim I knew where you lived and how long? Nope.

You're welcome.
Yes, actually you did. What you said was:

"...non-Californians who've most likely never spent a great amount of time living in multiple parts of the state..."

So, yes. Yes you did claim to know where I lived and for how long.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2015, 01:57 PM

3,477 posts, read 6,512,981 times
Haven't left the state in 12 years so I forgot what reaction I get.

Old 12-07-2015, 03:17 PM

252 posts, read 519,250 times
It could mean a range of things to people.. Generally it means that your from the big city. LA or SD Area. Sometimes this can be met with hostility from people that don't like "new comers" or in other words people just that are different from them culturally. Most of the time they welcome people/Californians with open arms.. It depends on the person.

Old 12-07-2015, 04:50 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,403,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7stringguitarguy View Post
It could mean a range of things to people.. Generally it means that your from the big city. LA or SD Area. Sometimes this can be met with hostility from people that don't like "new comers" or in other words people just that are different from them culturally. Most of the time they welcome people/Californians with open arms.. It depends on the person.
Yeah. most people I have told that to were only mildly interested and more focused on who I was now that I was living near them, than where I was from.

No one had ever said anything bad,etc about it and a very few said they had been there once. That was about it.

Old 12-07-2015, 04:52 PM

4,541 posts, read 1,160,074 times
That you're one of the coolest and most kick ass people around!

Old 12-12-2015, 09:46 AM

23,593 posts, read 37,484,310 times
Default What Does It Say to Other's When You Tell Them "I'm From California"

First of all I never say that unless specifically asked and then do so respond reluctantly. Although I was born, significantly raised in and spent about 50 of my near 70 years in CA I consider myself an Ozarker now. This is home. CA ceased to be years ago.

Were I to lead off with that statement, as all too many do, it would be met with at least mental eye-rolling and an unspoken (we're quite polite and respectful here) response of, "Oh joy! Another Californian who wants to change the Ozarks into what they left behind replete with In-N-Out Burger, Whole (Paycheck) Foods and Trader Joes accompanied by repetitious choruses of, "Well, in CA we did/had/handled it this way and there goes the housing market again!"

Old 12-12-2015, 06:03 PM

912 posts, read 915,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
First of all I never say that unless specifically asked and then do so respond reluctantly. Although I was born, significantly raised in and spent about 50 of my near 70 years in CA I consider myself an Ozarker now. This is home. CA ceased to be years ago.

Were I to lead off with that statement, as all too many do, it would be met with at least mental eye-rolling and an unspoken (we're quite polite and respectful here) response of, "Oh joy! Another Californian who wants to change the Ozarks into what they left behind replete with In-N-Out Burger, Whole (Paycheck) Foods and Trader Joes accompanied by repetitious choruses of, "Well, in CA we did/had/handled it this way and there goes the housing market again!"
lol Yup. I don't know. While I lived in CA a few times (and I'd consider it my second home outside of MD), I'm from the East Coast, no matter which state I'm living in at the moment.

However, I can tell you that the Mid-Atlantic and New England often turn their noses up at CA (which is ironic because so many people from CA think so highly of themselves for living there).

Old 12-16-2015, 03:24 PM

282 posts, read 236,329 times
Born and raised in central California. Personally I have to disagree of OP's idea of LA and New York City bringing in talent. On some level it's true, but when I think about these cities, I think for every one person with talent, there's at least 10 that go who have little to offer. These places get some seriously bad slums and gobs of homeless for a reason. I also think of money hungry people in San Fran and LA. They just can't see living life in any fashion unless it's in the pursuit of an extra dollar.

I also have to add that I avoid both places. I absolutely will not visit San Fran for anything. I've passed through and can't stand the extremely horrible people and traffic is a nightmare. LA is a lot more manageable, but not appealing to me. On the other hand I don't like big city hustle and bustle, where some people love that. So personal preference there really.

Admittedly California has a very diverse environment. Pacific coast beach all up the state border. The lowest and highest elevation points in the continental US (Alaska has a taller mountain). Dessert to snow capped mountains. Devoid of vegetation southern region to thick forests in the Sierra Nevada and northern regions. The term "diversity" to describe a racial profile is wide here as well. Asians have strong concentrations as well as Hispanics and a representative level of blacks, where white populations are choked out and well under US average.

But I imagine most people think of coastlines, LA traffic and pollution, homosexuality, and Hollywood. That's what I'd gather if I weren't from here.

Old 12-16-2015, 05:37 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,403,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post

What is funny is that when I tell someone I am from CA, it is surprising how many say, so am I. Lots of people born and raised in CA have left the State.

Old 12-16-2015, 05:40 PM

172 posts, read 185,682 times
Default Leaving California

Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post
What is funny is that when I tell someone I am from CA, it is surprising how many say, so am I. Lots of people born and raised in CA have left the State.
Why?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California