Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2015, 01:55 PM

61 posts, read 80,367 times

Advertisements

I did mention Toronto, however i feel like San Francisco and Chicago are on the same level of Alpha status. They will definately become Global rank cities within our lifetimes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2015, 02:38 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,285,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuildingsR' Us View Post
I did mention Toronto, however i feel like San Francisco and Chicago are on the same level of Alpha status. They will definately become Global rank cities within our lifetimes.
I'm going to pass on this thread..I don't even know what the point of it is...sorry

Old 11-13-2015, 03:12 PM

10,920 posts, read 6,912,422 times
Quote:
I believe there are only 4 Global Cities in North America. New York, Los Angeles, Toronto, Mexico City.
What a bunch of malarkey.

Old 11-13-2015, 03:14 PM

6,416 posts, read 8,280,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by payutenyodagimas View Post
when was Mexico City became a global city?
Try visiting sometime. You'll see why

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
Global cities and the OP leaves out San Francisco, Toronto, Chicago
Ha exactly.

In reality, SF is a much more important city than LA these days. I know it makes people in LA angry, but California's booming economy is a product of the Bay Area, NOT LA. The 1990s are over.

Anyway, this is a dumb thread.

Old 11-13-2015, 04:22 PM

9,807 posts, read 11,145,157 times
Quote:
This is a responce to somebody who commented on a different thread about moving to California means "You've Made It" .

I think that's more like a coastal thing in general. The youth in this generation who grew up in middle states, see moving to a coastal metro as "making it". Nowhere else in the United States can you be as competitive in the professional world as New York and Los Angeles. Being in a Global City is also very attractive for artistic, creative, brillent minds. We offer World Class Universities that bring the smartest from around the planet making a difference in humanity everyday.

I believe there are only 4 Global Cities in North America. New York, Los Angeles, Toronto, Mexico City.

Believe it or not, there are plenty of people in the Mid-West who have never seen the ocean or a mountain range in person. I'm not saying EVERYBODY in the U.S wants to live in the West Coast or East Coast, but think about your kids or the childern growing up to this new era of technology and media. You have Los Angeles and New York constantly shoved in your face. Not everybody ends up living here but every American has definately visited the two cities at least once in their lifetimes. Ethier that or you just don't travel much.
Montreal too, for sure. Some might add Miami to the list due to its strong links to the Americas.

Old 11-13-2015, 04:24 PM

9,807 posts, read 11,145,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 04kL4nD View Post
Try visiting sometime. You'll see why

Ha exactly.

In reality, SF is a much more important city than LA these days. I know it makes people in LA angry, but California's booming economy is a product of the Bay Area, NOT LA. The 1990s are over.

Anyway, this is a dumb thread.
Look, I like San Francisco, but you are very wrong. Los Angeles is a megacity; San Francisco is a small city, in a large region, and in an important state.

Old 11-14-2015, 06:59 AM

912 posts, read 915,628 times
"What Does It Say to Others When You Tell Them "I'm From California"?"

California is highly overrated and a place where people step on others for their own gain and are unjustifiably shallow and full of themselves. Not everyone, but a good majority. So to me, when someone says I'm from California, I say, great weather but sorry to hear that. People told me it was that way loooonng before I saw it (or allowed myself to see it). My best friend is from there, her whole family is still there, my son was born there, etc. I have a lot of connections there but it is overall a shallow place for no good reason. It is a lot of what is wrong with humanity, if you ask me. So I feel nothing but pity for people that say they're from CA. You asked, that's the truth. Good day.

Old 11-14-2015, 10:39 AM

2,436 posts, read 2,795,503 times
Your list of so-called global cities is so off, it's unreal.

When people move to California, it says they have a reason to. That's it.

Old 11-14-2015, 10:41 AM

2,436 posts, read 2,795,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UserName14289 View Post
"What Does It Say to Others When You Tell Them "I'm From California"?"

California is highly overrated and a place where people step on others for their own gain and are unjustifiably shallow and full of themselves. Not everyone, but a good majority. So to me, when someone says I'm from California, I say, great weather but sorry to hear that. People told me it was that way loooonng before I saw it (or allowed myself to see it). My best friend is from there, her whole family is still there, my son was born there, etc. I have a lot of connections there but it is overall a shallow place for no good reason. It is a lot of what is wrong with humanity, if you ask me. So I feel nothing but pity for people that say they're from CA. You asked, that's the truth. Good day.
And then we have people like this, non-Californians who've most likely never spent a great amount of time living in multiple parts of the state, who make broad generalizations.

Old 11-14-2015, 10:46 AM

17,815 posts, read 25,642,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by happycrow View Post
The average person knows way more about LA and NY than the average coastal city-dweller knows about all of flyover country put together. I lived through that comeuppance myself - densities are smaller and in many cases "density of talent" isn't even remotely comparable. That's why my brother still hangs onto the edge of the bay way out in Livermore, even though he can barely afford it on low-six-figures -- do do what he does, he *has* to be within a(n awful) commute of where the real deal is. But for other sorts of creative work where density isn't an issue -- writing, art, etcetera, I'd say it's a complete non-issue based on what I've seen, and would say "from Cali" will be received based ENTIRELY in *how* it's said.

The average person knows way more about LA and NY because most of the TV shows and many movies take place and are filmed in those cities.

And the bolded part also applies to Texas, I went to college in New Mexico and we had lots of students from TX who had a ridiculous inflated idea of their state, I have never seen anything close to it with other places.

BTW, Cali is a city in Columbia.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California