Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2016, 03:12 PM

20 posts, read 23,242 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I'm considering living near New Leaf Market in HMB (thoughts on safety of the area?) and won't have a car. Is the area decent in terms of walkability and public transportation? Is public transportation safe and relatively clean?

Also wondering if this might be an easier place for an adult to (re)learn to drive in comparison to other parts of the bay area. Any recommendations or referrals for a driving school or lessons on that side of the hill?

Any thoughts or input would be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2016, 03:42 PM

21,734 posts, read 16,337,681 times
Have you been to HMB? Or are you zeroing in on it from a research platform? HMB is a delightful community. There isn't anything "unsafe" about any of it - except for the danger of walking into a street pole when the fog is thick (often). And the New Leaf Market is six stars out of five in my review.

I suppose you could live in HMB without a car fine if you didn't feel the need to leave the community center. If you are a walker, you can get down to the state park beach nicely from the New Leaf Market area - mile / mile and a half.

Dunno about public transportation except there are buses through town, yes.

(You do know it is chilly, windy and foggy often in HMB, right?)

Old 04-10-2016, 05:42 PM

Love your humor and your perspective, Tulemutt! Thank you!

I've been to HMB and I absolutely love it. I could live in New Leaf Market, seriously. The only thing I do have to get used to is that darn fog, but it doesn't really detract from its charm for me!

I'm definitely a walker so it's good to know that the New Leaf area is close in proximity (walking distance) to he state park beach!

How about practitioners- acupuncturists, chiropractors, doctors, etc? Half Moon Bay is pretty self contained in terms of that too, right? Not too much of a need to go back over the hill?

Thanks for chiming in!

Old 04-10-2016, 05:59 PM

21,734 posts, read 16,337,681 times
*Chime tone*
Ok, roger that, Hopeful

I dunno about the practitioners you are interested in. I haven't lived in HMB and the time I spend there is out at Pillar Point (the marina up the highway), the state park, and, of course, New Leaf! Always fill a bucket up with their turkey chili when I pass through! After which I pass - well, you know.

Yep. Fog can be refreshing. For a while. And a great venue for introspection. To a point, past which the self searching has to be careful not to turn into searching for a bottle to escape into.

Anyway, I like it as a transient experience. Never breeze through without taking some time to eat and reflect. Great vibe. Enjoy!

Old 04-10-2016, 06:10 PM

102,197 posts, read 107,842,460 times
There are several acupuncturists in HMB. And I just wanted to say that I've never been there when the weather wasn't glorious! Which is not to say there isn't fog, but there is also sun. Get yourself a bike, and you can bike out to the farms and get free, or virtually free, fruit in season, for the picking. U pick it, u keep it.

And I hope you like artichokes!

Old 04-10-2016, 08:19 PM

1,722 posts, read 1,741,818 times
Half Moon Bay isn't what it used to be (nowhere is) and it's not free of crime. Just sayin'.
Which is not to say o.p. that you won't be safe but it too has its gnarly aspects. So just be aware.

Old 04-11-2016, 11:53 AM

3,722 posts, read 14,721,644 times
The only public transportation in Half Moon Bay is Samtrans samtrans.com

Old 04-11-2016, 01:19 PM

3,244 posts, read 6,297,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopeful1111 View Post
Hello,
Is the area decent in terms of walkability and public transportation? Is public transportation safe and relatively clean?
Its only served by two routes. The one to San Mateo comes once an hour and takes 45 minutes to get to San Mateo. The one to the Linda Mar Safeway is just about useless since there is also a Safeway in Half Moon Bay.

Route 294

Route 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopeful1111 View Post
Also wondering if this might be an easier place for an adult to (re)learn to drive in comparison to other parts of the bay area.
I think it would be a much more difficult place for an adult to relearn driving. There are only two ways out of Half Moon Bay. Highway 92 is a winding two lane road. Highway 1 goes north to Pacifica and is a 50 mph two lane road. Also these roads, especially highway 92, are jammed with traffic on summer weekends. Both Highway 1 & 92 have no streetlights and are very dark at night. One also has to do with frequent heavy fog when driving in that area.

An easy place for an adult to relearn driving would be the Sunset district in SF. There are big wide roads and the speed limit is 25 mph.

Old 04-11-2016, 01:52 PM

102,197 posts, read 107,842,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by capoeira View Post

I think it would be a much more difficult place for an adult to relearn driving. There are only two ways out of Half Moon Bay. Highway 92 is a winding two lane road. Highway 1 goes north to Pacifica and is a 50 mph two lane road. Also these roads, especially highway 92, are jammed with traffic on summer weekends. Both Highway 1 & 92 have no streetlights and are very dark at night. One also has to do with frequent heavy fog when driving in that area.

An easy place for an adult to relearn driving would be the Sunset district in SF. There are big wide roads and the speed limit is 25 mph.
I don't follow you, here. Driving lessons don't usually take people out of town or onto freeways or highways. They just have you putter around town, learn about dealing with traffic lights, right turn, left turn, parking, etc. They don't take you out for night driving. If there's fog on a given day, that would be a very practical learning experience. I would think learning to drive in a small town wouldn't be much different from learning to drive in a city neighborhood. Frankly, neither one adequately prepares drivers for freeway driving, 4-6-lane busy thoroughfares, to say nothing of training for hazards. US driving instruction is a joke, compared to what's required in some parts of Europe. But that's another rant.

Old 05-02-2016, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by capoeira View Post
Its only served by two routes. The one to San Mateo comes once an hour and takes 45 minutes to get to San Mateo. The one to the Linda Mar Safeway is just about useless since there is also a Safeway in Half Moon Bay.

Route 294

Route 17

Capoeira thank you, this was really valuable information! Since I just got accepted to college in SF (new development) I've been considering the city. It's awesome to know that the Sunset district is a good place to learn to drive! Would it also be a decent place to live? I hear the weather isn't great over there but is the neighborhood safe? Thank you again for the info!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California