Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2015, 02:42 PM

102,217 posts, read 107,859,557 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post

We're getting enough rain for the entire state way up north lately LOL!
The NW (which includes your corner of NW CA) has been getting some monsoon activity on and off since around mid-October. Hopefully, that will turn to snow up in the mountains. Snowpack is what's needed most, and will be much rarer in the future.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2015, 07:18 PM

1,722 posts, read 1,742,090 times

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=naL9j279bcU

OR (Dave Alvin with Christy McWilson):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ub_4SlRU078

Old 12-06-2015, 07:33 PM

17,635 posts, read 22,634,216 times
I love the beautiful Orange, purple, pink, etc blossoms on the fine succulents along California hillsides.....

https://www.google.com/search?q=colo...HbVIBQoQsAQISg

Old 12-06-2015, 08:44 PM

5,151 posts, read 4,527,166 times
Still, the hills are much drier. I'm a SoCal native but have been gone for awhile. I visited my daughter in the Bay Area in Sept., and when she picked me up at Oakland airport, the hllls looked so weird, I wasn't even sure what they were at first...they were a weird yellow-gray color, not brown or even golden...just so very dry.

Old 12-06-2015, 10:32 PM

252 posts, read 518,998 times
Southern California isn't really known for its lush greenery. I mean it gets a little bit of grass on the hills in the winter but thats it. Its not like Hawaii or The Midwestern/East Coast foresty states. Los Angeles is surrounded by vast desert. The Mountain Ranges keep the marine layer within the General LA Basin.

It really hasn't experienced any significant amounts rainfall this year. California is in a Drought.

Old 12-07-2015, 09:13 AM

18,813 posts, read 32,495,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
The NW (which includes your corner of NW CA) has been getting some monsoon activity on and off since around mid-October. Hopefully, that will turn to snow up in the mountains. Snowpack is what's needed most, and will be much rarer in the future.
This new storm is supposed to dump more snow. Fingers crossed.

I'm just glad it's only rain here.

Old 12-07-2015, 10:10 AM

1,676 posts, read 1,534,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Howiester View Post
Don't worry, friend. Obama is on it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
In the SF Bay Area, there's only a short window in the spring when the hills are green. Then if it rains again later, they'll green up temporarily again. I agree with Ruth4Truth, the hills are usually golden.

It's sad you all haven't even had the spring green hills down South.

We're getting enough rain for the entire state way up north lately LOL!
My rain gauge says we got a little over 5.5" last month and are sitting at 1.6" so far this month. Looking forward to much more

Old 12-07-2015, 06:18 PM

5,980 posts, read 13,118,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NativeOrange View Post
I remember my first time going out to Chicago in mid July and seeing forests and green grass and lushness everywhere. It was quite a shock to see that much greenery coming from SoCal. It is pretty, but honestly IMO, I've learned to love the Mediterranean or semi arid landscapes much more. Greenery is a dime a dozen, but SoCals landscape, flora and fauna are so much more unique and interesting. Our plant life has adapted and evolved under harsher circumstances (more micro climates, varied rainfall and terrain, etc) and because of this we have much more interesting biodiversity.

Plus, if you think about it, we have our warm summer, and when it gets chillier and rainier in our winter months, our landscape comes alive.

Out anywhere east of the Mississippi, excluding Florida and the deep coastal south, winter months bring brown grass, leafless trees, AND cold miserable weather. Snow is beautiful when it first falls, but then it melts and the brown grass shows again. If it does end up sticking for a while, then your just stuck with cold temps and the snow just becomes icy, messy, and covered in black soot from the street, footprints, etc.

I much prefer the former in that situation.
took the words right out of my mouth

Old 03-21-2022, 04:41 PM

2 posts, read 940 times
Default Orange County Hills

South Orange County in Southern California has plenty of hills, especially San Juan Capistrano inland to Ortega Highway and Talega. Those hills in a good rainy season (last one being 2016-2018), usually start to green up by late December and stay green until mid-April. After that, they slowly turn a yellowish brown color after the mustards dry out (worst time for hay-fever allergies!) By early June all hills usually are dried out to a light brown. By September, they have turned to a darker brown and the fire hazards begin. With the dryness of the Santa Ana winds by fall, October thru early December are the worst for the hills as they continue to dry out to a brittle greyish brown color, which is the driest. The cycle repeats every season and a good consistent rainy season will bring the best green colors and flowers by spring!!

Last edited by Eddie Harrison; 03-21-2022 at 05:09 PM..

Old 03-22-2022, 08:14 AM

14,303 posts, read 11,692,440 times
This is a pretty old thread, but though we didn't have a "good" rainy season this year (it wasn't the worst ever, either), but the hills are green right now anyway. I was hiking in Riley Wilderness Park in south OC yesterday and it was all green.

Sure, by late spring it will be all drying up. That's normal even after a really good rainy season. Someone like the OP who "remembers" the SoCal hills being green all the time when he was a child has a faulty memory. It's never been green all year round.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California