Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2022, 09:09 AM

10,309 posts, read 6,842,111 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuildingsR' Us View Post
I made a post about this on the LA thread but i makes more sense to make a California thread since this is a state drought issue.

I remember as a kid when the hills in Southern California had green grass on them. Not lush green like bay area or Hawaii but now days the hills are dried up, brown, and sad looking

What happened to my precious California? It's been years since Chino Hills, Ventura County, and Malibu saw green. Heck even the San Gabriel Valley that soar 10,000 up high had alot of grass. (San Bernadino, Mt. Baldy, Etiwanda)
It’s still exactly the same. It’s “green” for a month, then it dries up to become fire fuel.
The only thing that has changed, is your perception of it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2022, 07:01 PM

2 posts, read 942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
This is a pretty old thread, but though we didn't have a "good" rainy season this year (it wasn't the worst ever, either), but the hills are green right now anyway. I was hiking in Riley Wilderness Park in south OC yesterday and it was all green.

Sure, by late spring it will be all drying up. That's normal even after a really good rainy season. Someone like the OP who "remembers" the SoCal hills being green all the time when he was a child has a faulty memory. It's never been green all year round.
You are right. The hills are never green all year. The strong intense sun of the summer cures the vegetation despite any rare rainfall that may occur in the late spring and summer. This year, Jan and Feb were void of rain and not a whole bunch in March either, so many of the hills and fields have begun to dry out much earlier than they normally should. I am really worried about the fire season beginning anytime now, instead of the usual July-November period.

I'm glad you still have some greenery in that park. February, March and early April are usually the greenest in a wet season. I'll never forget the 2004-2005 rainy season (the last one where over 30 inches of rain fell in South OC) and the hills were a solid green into early May mixed with mustards with slopes that angle away from direct sunlight staying green into early June!! Southern California is WAY overdue for an above average rainy season. Let's hope 2022-23 is the one! From what I've read, it might also be an El Niño season.

Old 03-22-2022, 08:50 PM

14,316 posts, read 11,702,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie Harrison View Post
You are right. The hills are never green all year. The strong intense sun of the summer cures the vegetation despite any rare rainfall that may occur in the late spring and summer. This year, Jan and Feb were void of rain and not a whole bunch in March either, so many of the hills and fields have begun to dry out much earlier than they normally should. I am really worried about the fire season beginning anytime now, instead of the usual July-November period.
We just can't win with the fire season. If it's a dry winter, they predict a bad fire season because it's so dry. If it's a wet winter, they predict a bad fire season because when all that green stuff dries out, there is an extra amount of fuel!

Fortunately it's not just dry brush that causes fire season. What really brings it on is the dry, Santa Ana winds. And typically spring and early summer are light on the winds, and we usually have marine layer which also helps.

Quote:
I'll never forget the 2004-2005 rainy season (the last one where over 30 inches of rain fell in South OC) and the hills were a solid green into early May mixed with mustards with slopes that angle away from direct sunlight staying green into early June!! Southern California is WAY overdue for an above average rainy season. Let's hope 2022-23 is the one! From what I've read, it might also be an El Niño season.
I remember that 2004-5 season all right. My son was born in January 2005 and the next day, when I was still in the hospital, the sun came out. It seemed like it had been raining and raining for weeks and it felt like a miracle to finally have some sunshine.

But I'm hoping for a wet season next time, too.

Old 03-23-2022, 10:04 PM

36,659 posts, read 67,526,972 times
During the rainy season sure, but we live in a mediterranean climate so grass dries up in the summer because we barely get rain.

Old 03-23-2022, 10:37 PM

8,214 posts, read 16,700,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
During the rainy season sure, but we live in a mediterranean climate so grass dries up in the summer because we barely get rain.
Yes, its par for the course in CA. Spring is usually gloriously green with wildflowers blooming like crazy in parts for a couple months depending on annual precipitation. So, if you like green, now is the time to get out there into the hills. Do you remember the poppy super bloom 3 years ago in March. We enjoyed that right before moving to the PNW and it was spectacular!

If you want green in late spring and into summer, you can still find it at higher elevations up in the forests and mountains. Otherwise, yes, brown is normal for a drier, mediterranean climate. Here's a shot of the Trinity Alps in late May with lots of green and flowers.

Or head up to the NorCal Redwoods which are always a treat especially when the rhododendrons are in bloom. That's when its time to explore the state and a take road trip.

Derek

Old 03-24-2022, 04:38 PM

271 posts, read 306,045 times
We live part time in Coachella Valley and part time in SF Bay Area. Driving up north yesterday, the first green hills we saw were right by the Grapevine (Hwy 5). There was also a fair amount of green and California poppies - at west end of Antelope Valley. I was surprised as I thought this area would be much drier with typical chaparral vegitation.

Old 03-24-2022, 05:44 PM

8,488 posts, read 6,891,592 times
I live in Mission Valley San Diego. And looking out from my condo balcony I see lush green hills above interstate 8. And there are several large homes almost at the top. Very scenic especially at night with all the lights.

Old 03-24-2022, 08:46 PM

10,309 posts, read 6,842,111 times
Yeah, the poppy's are goin' off, in Leucadia right now, too.

(Not THOSE poppies!)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California