Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-01-2016, 11:17 PM

4 posts, read 8,831 times

Advertisements

I've been researching Clovis (Fresno County)for about six months now. It appears to be my best bet for moving into a safe area reasonable rent and good school district. Can anybody share with me any information about this area? I'll be visiting it twice prior to moving this summer. Also, California residents do you think this is my best bet price/school wise? Trying to stay either central Ca or southern and with my budget of 1200 for three bedrooms Fresno/Clovis seems to be my best bet. Any tips advice different areas I should look into first would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Nichole
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2016, 01:09 AM

133 posts, read 273,383 times
Not very safe, and not very good schools in Fresno. Clovis has better schools but I don't think you will be able to afford what you seek, unless you don't mind all the police helicopters and car getting stolen from your driveway. I lived here for over ten years, I'll go into any detail or answer any questions you have.

I have also taught at Clovis schools and currently under contract for Fresno Unified, having taught high school for both districts.

Old 01-05-2016, 11:56 PM

4 posts, read 8,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krispytopher View Post
Not very safe, and not very good schools in Fresno. Clovis has better schools but I don't think you will be able to afford what you seek, unless you don't mind all the police helicopters and car getting stolen from your driveway. I lived here for over ten years, I'll go into any detail or answer any questions you have.

I have also taught at Clovis schools and currently under contract for Fresno Unified, having taught high school for both districts.
Wow, thanks for that info. I plan on visiting that area sometime this month. I specifically picked it because in my search parameters on Zillow and trulia nothing popped up in that price range in a good school district and I literally searched every major city In California population of 50,000 or more. From the research I have done it seems like Fresno is bad but Fresno County is better. What about the areas that fall into the Clovis school district but are in Fresno county not actually Clovis are those areas bad as well?

Old 01-10-2016, 03:36 AM

175 posts, read 248,775 times
Try temecula and Menifee, rents are rising but their schools are top rated.

Old 01-12-2016, 10:01 PM

372 posts, read 573,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tolerance999 View Post
Try temecula and Menifee, rents are rising but their schools are top rated.
And Murrieta.

Old 01-12-2016, 10:33 PM

8,180 posts, read 16,589,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goin' Coastal View Post
And Murrieta.
Yep, I'll third that recommendation for what you are looking for. In terms of best bang for the buck for families, Temecula and Murrieta are some of the best deals in SoCal, if not the best. I have several friends who moved there with families with no complaints whatsoever.

Check out a few examples:
https://inlandempire.craigslist.org/apa/5378194422.html
https://inlandempire.craigslist.org/apa/5400216482.html
https://inlandempire.craigslist.org/apa/5380780272.html

* Update: Wow, just saw your budget is *really* low. If you look, I think you can still find bargains in decent areas like this. Though you may have to go up just a bit. Obviously, prices are higher in CA than you're used to in St. Louis Mo:
https://inlandempire.craigslist.org/apa/5382265017.html
https://inlandempire.craigslist.org/apa/5395928711.html

Take a look at these school performance maps to get a better idea: http://schoolperformancemaps.com/ca/

Derek

Last edited by MtnSurfer; 01-12-2016 at 10:50 PM..

Old 01-13-2016, 12:08 AM

8,367 posts, read 7,565,430 times
I'd need a little more information to give suggestions. What grades are your children in, and where are you moving from? "Good" schools might be relative to where you're moving from and it might be that there are options in areas where there are good schools in certain grade levels (i.e., elementary) but only so-so in others. Those might work for the time being depending on your children's ages.

Are you planning on looking for work after your move, and if so, what type? That might also make a difference in giving recommendations. Do you have any wiggle room in your budget and rental desires. Could you cut in another area and squeeze out a tiny bit more for your budget if it meant better schools? Could a two bedroom work instead of a three bedroom if it meant better schools? Finally, are weather and size of the city a deal breaker? For instance, would you settle for a hotter area -- perhaps a very hot area, or a more urban area/larger city if it meant better schools or more rental options?

I don't mean to pry too much, but it also would be helpful to know a little more about why you've chosen California as a place to move to -- what are you hoping California will offer to your family compared to where you're coming from? (This last question is optional, but would help folks understand what you're searching for a little bit more).

Old 01-18-2016, 03:17 AM

98 posts, read 236,599 times
Check Kingsburg, CA. Small, cute town with good schools. Near Fresno, but definitely NOT Fresno. Also, I enjoy visiting Fresno, and don't feel unsafe in the areas I go to. I was born and raised in Reedley, CA, but do think Kingsburg would probably be better for you.

Old 01-18-2016, 08:53 PM

1,722 posts, read 1,725,623 times
Just curious and it's none of my business but why California?

Old 05-20-2016, 06:06 PM

1 posts, read 1,225 times
You might be interested in a book calledFind a California Home for $150,000 or less by Louise Lacey. The author found 15 small towns in California that have low home prices, low crime, and good schools. The book was written in 2002 so the prices may be abit out of date. The above mentioned town, Kingsburg, was one of most interesting. It sounded like a very very nice town to live in if you have children.
Since you are not interested in the north of the state, do some research on the towns of Coarsegold, Kingsburg, Three Rivers, Visalia, Exeter, Tehachapi, Apple Valley, and Redlands. There may be other small towns with inexpensive housing, good schools, and low crime so you should not limit your research to just those eight. But I am fairly sure that you should not bother trying to find inexpensive cities of over 50,000 people in California that are also nice places to live.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California