Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-05-2008, 11:33 AM

30 posts, read 86,384 times

Advertisements

Hello - My wife and I have been offered jobs in the SLO area. We believe we would like to move up there from SoCal with our three year old. With some accumulated equity, we should be able to squeek into a house in SLO.

Most people we have talked to think its a great place to live, except for cost of housing and lack of jobs. We think we have those issues solved (just barely).

We are pretty outdoorsy, and I like the idea of raising my daugther in such a beautiful area.

Having lived in urban beach areas in SoCal all our lives, do you think will we miss the faster pace of life and associated activities? Is there enough going on to keep things interesting? For perspective, we lived in Santa Barbara during grad school and loved it, but have been living in LA/SD since.

How is SLO proper for families? I've read about lots of students and retirees, but assume there are plenty of families as well. Are there good family activities in SLO?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2008, 12:05 PM

1,474 posts, read 2,910,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shemp View Post
Hello - My wife and I have been offered jobs in the SLO area. We believe we would like to move up there from SoCal with our three year old. With some accumulated equity, we should be able to squeek into a house in SLO.

Most people we have talked to think its a great place to live, except for cost of housing and lack of jobs. We think we have those issues solved (just barely).

We are pretty outdoorsy, and I like the idea of raising my daugther in such a beautiful area.

Having lived in urban beach areas in SoCal all our lives, do you think will we miss the faster pace of life and associated activities? Is there enough going on to keep things interesting? For perspective, we lived in Santa Barbara during grad school and loved it, but have been living in LA/SD since.

How is SLO proper for families? I've read about lots of students and retirees, but assume there are plenty of families as well. Are there good family activities in SLO?

Thanks!
SLO is great for families IF you have a job and a place to live. You are used to CA prices so it shouldn't freak you out. It IS a little less expensive than SB (where I live). I grew up in Cambria and went to SLO for anything to do. It is a little slower paced than even SB but you have a little kid so I am sure exciting nightlife isn't exactly what you are after. There are good restaurants and there are bars/clubs. There is a lot to do outside there if you also include the rest of the county (beaches, lakes, hiking, golfing,).

Jill

Old 02-09-2008, 10:19 AM

36 posts, read 156,676 times
Default Congratulations

Hi, you have solved the most important piece of the puzzle of moving to SLO -- finding jobs. Good for you. Now you can enjoy this slice of heaven in California. You are going to love it! and so is your little one. Make sure to take her to Dinosaur Park in Shell Beach (small playground right on the cliff, with "dinosaur eggs" and dolphins to play on), Avila Valley Barn in the fall to pick pumpkins and visit the farm animals (bring lots of money to shop in their amazing gift shop) and of course, Farmers Market downtown on Thurs. nights.

Congratulations, again.

Old 02-09-2008, 07:56 PM

4,932 posts, read 12,709,419 times
40 minutes from San Luis Obispo is Paso Robles and Paso has a family fun center with bowling, a water park that's building laser tag, building of a Super Wal-Mart, JC Paintball, the Midstate Fair that has great rock concerts, Skate-Mor rollerskate rink, and batting cages on estrella street.

San Luis Obispo itself doesn't have as much as Paso, but it has better shopping. The downtown has lots of retail clothing stores, Madonna Plaza shopping strip center, a nice movie theater called Movie Experience with 7 screens, good winerys, a drive-in theater, The Grad nightclub, and good weather.

Plus you have Pismo Beach only 10 minutes away and it has a nice outlet mall there. And, then in Atascadero is a small zoo and a lake and their park.

San Luis Obispo is a great place to start a family. When the recession in California ends, San Luis Obispo will start to grow again and be at 50,400 estimate population in 2020 and will have the Dalidio mall built by then with Macy's and Target.

Old 02-10-2008, 03:16 PM

22 posts, read 101,352 times
Default Move to SLO?

Yes, it's Santa Barbara on a smaller scale. You should love it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California