Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2016, 11:27 AM

4 posts, read 3,903 times

Advertisements

Hi All,

My husband and I are contemplating a move from Boston to California. We think we want to be in Southern California but aren't really sure. The main reason for our move is the weather. We currently live in the South End of Boston and really love city life. We walk almost everywhere, enjoy going out to local restaurants, coffee shops, and being able to get groceries etc. on foot. Our kids are 4 and 18months. Are there places in Southern California that have a city like feel? We are somewhat familiar with San Fran from having visited. We like it there a lot but the two big draw backs for us are 1. Weather and 2. Home prices. We are used to expensive real estate (our current 2bed 1 bath 950sf condo is roughly $700k) but it seems San Fran is even more outrageously priced (like we would need to spend above $1.8M for a 1500+sf 3 bed??)

So I guess what we are looking for is some place with great weather, culture, some walkability, good for kids (parks, beaches, nature etc) and has a nice community.

Any thoughts good or bad are greatly appreciated!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2016, 02:55 PM

8,390 posts, read 7,644,416 times
In the city of San Diego, you might look at these areas: Mission Hills, South Park, University Heights, Kensington, and the Normal Heights area north of Adams Avenue. A $700,000 budget won't go far, but might get you a smaller house in some of these areas and they are probably the most walkable neighborhoods. School quality can vary widely within the San Diego Unified School District, however.

If you're open to looking at more suburban areas, try Encinitas, Carlsbad, Solana Beach along the north coast of San Diego county, or Poway/Rancho Bernardo which are both inland. Your money will go farther if you go a little inland, and schools in the Poway school district are excellent. Poway isn't very walkable in the sense you mean, but it is a very nice place to raise a family. Good luck with your search!

Old 01-03-2016, 03:50 PM

8,452 posts, read 15,041,876 times
No mention of employment needs or commuting?

Old 01-03-2016, 06:06 PM

My husband owns his own business and will likely work from home initially. So location for our family is the first priority. As far as a home budget goes, we can afford up to about $1.5M but would want at least 4 beds and over 2000sf for that price. Thanks for the suggestions so far!

Old 01-03-2016, 07:34 PM

Do you plan on utilizing public schools?
Can you detail how urbanized a city you are seeking? The entire state of California is a huge area to consider.

Old 01-03-2016, 07:56 PM

Public schools don't matter as much, at least not now. We currently have our oldest enrolled at a private preschool in Boston and if I stayed here, both our kids would likely go to private schools at least through kindergarten (mostly because Boston Public Schools have a HUGE range of quality and it is a total crap shoot on where your kids end up). Our oldest is currently at a Momtessori preschool and we may try to find other Montessori schools in CA but we aren't firm on that.

As far as the area being urbanized goes, my main concern is having things to do outside with my kids that are walkable. I currently walk them everywhere- school, grocery store, dr's, shopping for weekly needs, brunch, farmers markets, art studios, parks etc. I also walk to and from work and so does my husband. We have a car and I like driving but I don't want to NEED to drive. A large part for moving out there is for the weather and it would seem strange to me if I am always driving 15-20 mins to get everywhere.

Our kids are happier when they are out strolling/scooting. We have many little shops/restaurants/parks in our neighborhood now and I really love it.

Thanks again for any insight!

Old 01-03-2016, 10:52 PM

3,155 posts, read 2,699,769 times
We are walking or biking distance to everything here in Ventura, CA. 1 million gets you a 4br with a spectacular view of the ocean and channel islands in the nice neighborhoods in the hills above downtown.

It is 60s to 70s year round and it hasn't rained since 2014. Ha-ha, just kidding. But it is ridiculously good weather and amazing ocean views here. The usgs rated our county #1 in America due to proximity to desirable features:
1.5 hours to LAX
Steps to good beaches and excellent surf.
Trips to the islands (camp, hike, snorkle) from our 2 beautiful marinas.
6 hours to world class skiing/boarding
6 hours to San Fran
4 hours to big surprise and the beauty of the central coast.
A million and a half outdoorsy things to do.
Tons of nice parks
Enough population to support decent shopping, a vibrant art and festival scene, and some theater/big name band stops.
There's lots more, plus some drawbacks of being in a smaller town.

Old 01-03-2016, 10:56 PM

Some potential areas:
Davis
Sacramento, midtown
Pasadena
Ventura

Old 01-04-2016, 05:27 AM

Thank you! Does anyone have more info on San Francisco? When I read about the "Noe Valley" it sounds very similar to the part of Boston we live in now. Are there places in Southern California that one would liken to the Noe Valley?

Old 01-04-2016, 08:43 AM

5,301 posts, read 6,179,553 times
You should be aware that state and local taxes, gasoline and utilities costs in CA are much higher than in MA, although fresh produce is a lot cheaper. I'd suggest Chula Vista, which is on the coast just south of San Diego and enjoys the same weather. Housing costs there are much more reasonable than S.D. and there are many newer homes. And if you get a hankering for lobster, Rosarito (Puerto Nuevo) Mexico, which dubs itself the "lobster capitol of the world" is just a short drive away.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California