Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-17-2016, 03:11 PM

178 posts, read 227,869 times

Advertisements

Hi, I'd love to hear some reviews/opinions on wifi in Crescent City CA.

I just moved here, and I think I am in a good location to get good wifi, but not sure. Not that I have much choice, I'd still like to hear from some of you if you know

Thanks much! New to Crescent City
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2016, 05:20 PM

317 posts, read 307,942 times
Congrats on your move. I don't live in CC yet, and can't help you with your question. I don't want to take your thread too far off topic, but I'd love to hear how you like Crescent City so far. I am planning to move my family there just as soon as we can and always enjoy hearing how others who have moved to the area like it.

BTW, you may want to edit your title. Just the one letter in wife instead of wifi gives it a completely different meaning.

Old 01-17-2016, 05:50 PM

oh no I did the same when chatting with my sister this a.m. WIFI dang it It' won't let me edit, so I'll ask a mod if I can find one thanks for the heads up.

This is a small town, it depends on what you and your family are looking for. I don't see it as any more than a resort, or retirement town. Maybe start a new thread since I do want to know about wifi specifically

Old 01-17-2016, 10:10 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,505,733 times
I live in CC and have Charter cable for internet only. I got a special for the first year and it cost me around $40/month, and now it's around $55. I pay for high speed and I rent their wifi router and modem. I have one old XP machine with a dead wifi driver, so it's hard-wired to the modem, and I use the wifi router for my Mac. I haven't had any problems since I started using their equipment and it rarely goes down. I've had less problems with Charter cable wi-fi in CC than I've ever had with any wi-fi anywhere else. It's great.

I had purchased my own Netgear combined wifi-modem unit and had nothing but trouble and since it wasn't a Charter piece of equipment, they wouldn't trouble-shoot it for me. They said there are a lot of problems with those dual-purpose units. So, I bit the bullet and rented their equipment to see if that was truly the issue, and voila! It's pricey, but I regularly get 60/4 speed which is the max they say you'll get. Works great for streaming video.

I've heard mixed reviews about Frontier and they recently closed their local office. I'm very happy with Charter and their office isn't very busy, so it's easy to go in and talk to someone if you need to - very unlike any other Charter office in any other city I've lived in.

So, I vote you'll be very happy with it. Won't be cheap, but it won't give you any trouble.

Old 01-17-2016, 10:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
I live in CC and have Charter cable for internet only. I got a special for the first year and it cost me around $40/month, and now it's around $55. I pay for high speed and I rent their wifi router and modem. I have one old XP machine with a dead wifi driver, so it's hard-wired to the modem, and I use the wifi router for my Mac. I haven't had any problems since I started using their equipment and it rarely goes down. I've had less problems with Charter cable wi-fi in CC than I've ever had with any wi-fi anywhere else. It's great.

I had purchased my own Netgear combined wifi-modem unit and had nothing but trouble and since it wasn't a Charter piece of equipment, they wouldn't trouble-shoot it for me. They said there are a lot of problems with those dual-purpose units. So, I bit the bullet and rented their equipment to see if that was truly the issue, and voila! It's pricey, but I regularly get 60/4 speed which is the max they say you'll get. Works great for streaming video.

I've heard mixed reviews about Frontier and they recently closed their local office. I'm very happy with Charter and their office isn't very busy, so it's easy to go in and talk to someone if you need to - very unlike any other Charter office in any other city I've lived in.

So, I vote you'll be very happy with it. Won't be cheap, but it won't give you any trouble.
Well hi'dy ho neighbor, we meet again, and I tell you, your post has been helpful, soooooo helpful! I am in the place we had talked about, on the 3rd floor, no obstructions that I can see Great you found my post. I guess I should have just looked for you from the start, knowing you live here

I moved on the 7th, so way, far from really being settled, but excited (now that I heard the good news from you) about my wifi Someone here was really wanting to help me by sharing their wifi signal with me, but it's a real pain. Too many obstructions between me and their router/modem. I get the two piece deal as well, so glad to hear that worked best. Also, 44 a month now, after 12 months, 20 more bucks, but I do it all online, Netflix (and looking at an Apple TV setup as well).

Thank you NoMore, we will have to do lunch sometime, lol I've walked to the lighthouse, about 6 miles rt, love it here Yes, it's raining like crazy as you know, but wow, I feel I have come home at last, Miss "nomore" Roomies, lol!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California