Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2016, 10:20 AM

21,593 posts, read 16,091,646 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by adr3naline View Post
Stupid humans don't need concealed carry permits to obtain weapons. Need I explain violent crime void of firearms...
Completely true. They don't. But the requirement does keep lots of them from bothering to go through the process. Which means that lots of stupid people aren't carrying guns at the wrong moment in their lives.

I recall one incident in particular that illustrates this. Less than half a year after I was home and discharged from 2nd tour of Vietnam I was sitting with my main squeeze on a porch in a quiet residential neighborhood in a warm summer evening breeze. Friends with babies in their arms, chatting, sharing a doobie, drinking a beer. When suddenly came yelling, brakes screetching to a halt in front of the house. Woman jumps out of passenger side of car. Man out of driver's door rushes at her as she's yelling at him. *BAM BAM*. Man is down in the street.

Next the woman drops to her knees and grabs her man's head as he bleeds out, shot twice through this heart. Woman rocks him, wailing, "Oh God no! Oh God, NO! Oh baby don't die, don't go! Oh baby I love you! I didn't mean it! ...." And on and on. We rushed to her and him. Too late. A moment of heated passion. And a handgun in her purse.

Old 01-21-2016, 10:49 AM

13,824 posts, read 29,788,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
Completely true. They don't. But the requirement does keep lots of them from bothering to go through the process. Which means that lots of stupid people aren't carrying guns at the wrong moment in their lives.

I recall one incident in particular that illustrates this. Less than half a year after I was home and discharged from 2nd tour of Vietnam I was sitting with my main squeeze on a porch in a quiet residential neighborhood in a warm summer evening breeze. Friends with babies in their arms, chatting, sharing a doobie, drinking a beer. When suddenly came yelling, brakes screetching to a halt in front of the house. Woman jumps out of passenger side of car. Man out of driver's door rushes at her as she's yelling at him. *BAM BAM*. Man is down in the street.

Next the woman drops to her knees and grabs her man's head as he bleeds out, shot twice through this heart. Woman rocks him, wailing, "Oh God no! Oh God, NO! Oh baby don't die, don't go! Oh baby I love you! I didn't mean it! ...." And on and on. We rushed to her and him. Too late. A moment of heated passion. And a handgun in her purse.
Don't do this to me. All the times that domestic or intra (or inter)-familial contact could have ended this way.

No guns here. Remember, they are for PROTECTION (and EXERCISING YOUR RIGHTS)! Unfortunately, some sort of damn lies (AKA statistics) say something to the effect "the most likely person to die from your gun is yourself". The second most likely person is a family member (again, also according to the damn lies).

I honestly don't think guns are the problem. But I don't think they're the/a (or a part of) solution either. I just don't get why some folks parade around with them in family pictures/etc (like that boob from Nevada), or carry them everywhere they go (same reason I don't understand carrying a poodle in a bag everywhere). Incomprehensible to me, like many things about humanity and society are.

If by some unlucky sort of providence, I die by the barrel of a gun, it won't be my own doing, just like dying of inevitable disease won't be either.

Hopefully those that complain about California find another way out. LIFE'S TOO SHORT, just ask the victims.

Old 01-21-2016, 10:52 AM

1,886 posts, read 2,081,466 times
Quote:
Criminals generally do not buy firearms from storefronts, nor gun shows, nor internet source...therefore further regulation of said outlets is an apathetic act. Not sure if that's what you're trying to get at.

Quote:

Individual stories of stupidity do not apply at mass scale.

Criminals acquire firearms with intent. Protection from said intent requires law abiding citizens have access to an equal or greater defense. Complete abstinence of risk is unobtainable, therefore defenses will always be required. Removing an efficient means of defense in attempt to curtail stupid people from access ignores the outlets which stupid people obtain firearms.

Old 01-21-2016, 10:54 AM

3,437 posts, read 3,258,671 times
will buy gun in the future. meantime, maybe a baseball bat will do or a machete. but then when I look at those machetes for sale, they are as if leaves than can be blown away

Old 01-21-2016, 11:14 AM

822 posts, read 846,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eureka1 View Post
Those who don't live in California are jealous of those who do.
absolutely not

Old 01-21-2016, 11:19 AM

1,722 posts, read 1,724,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mvpsharky View Post
absolutely not
It is often the case though. And it's largely because of Hollywood although California has always had a certain mystique. There's no state like it. And i'm not sure that you can say that about any other state in the U.S..

Old 01-21-2016, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Criminals generally do not buy firearms from storefronts, nor gun shows, nor internet source...therefore further regulation of said outlets is an apathetic act. Not sure if that's what you're trying to get at.
Criminals are not the only problem with easy firearm accessibility. In fact, statistically, they are the smallest of the risk categories.

That said, actually, um yeah, they do buy them at storefronts and gun shows and on the internet as well as acquiring them by nefarious other secretive means including theft of guns that were purchased at storefronts, gun shows and over the internet by people too stupid to secure their purchases from theft.

And, as I plainly said, I'm not advocating any repeal of the 2nd Amendment. I'm simply making rational observations - because there are so many stupid arguments being floated around by ideologues.

Quote:
Individual stories of stupidity do not apply at mass scale.
Actually, they sure do. And statistics very much prove it.

Quote:
Criminals acquire firearms with intent. Protection from said intent requires law abiding citizens have access to an equal or greater defense. Complete abstinence of risk is unobtainable, therefore defenses will always be required. Removing an efficient means of defense in attempt to curtail stupid people from access ignores the outlets which stupid people obtain firearms.
As has been pointed out, and is well supported by statistics, the least likely danger from a firearm comes from criminals. Thus, as you say: "complete abstinence of risk is unobtainable." would advise that the greatest reduction of risk would come from not owning a firearm.

But, again, as I said repeatedly, knock yourselves out with this neurotic obsession. I have a dark sense of humor about it. Sadly.

Old 01-21-2016, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by payutenyodagimas View Post
will buy gun in the future. meantime, maybe a baseball bat will do or a machete. but then when I look at those machetes for sale, they are as if leaves than can be blown away
Do you like dogs? Criminals don't. And it is really really hard to kill someone mistakenly by using a dog. Especially yourself.

Old 01-21-2016, 12:39 PM

1,034 posts, read 1,081,705 times
Quote:
As for "using your brains" - as I said, humans are pretty much born insane. Look around you.
And yet they're trusted with cars, they're trusted to raise small babies...

We shouldn't even be allowed to use scissors, because we're all INSANE!!!!

Old 01-21-2016, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elvira310 View Post
So, you think that only special "qualified" persons should be "allowed" to use weapons? That goes against the 2nd amendment completely. I can't go along with that.

I do think that people should be trained better and educated.

And yet they're trusted with cars, they're trusted to raise small babies...

We shouldn't even be allowed to use scissors, because we're all INSANE!!!!
Apparently you didn't read my posts with any comprehension.

But, yes, we are basically insane. Look around you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California