Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2016, 04:34 PM

21,725 posts, read 16,327,107 times

Advertisements

This just in:
Gun shop owner, son killed over $25 firearm repair fee, sheriff says
Gun shop owner, son killed over $25 firearm repair fee, sheriff says | Fox News

Shop owner had an unholstered 9mm by his side as he bled out.
People who carry / keep guns are 4.5x more likely to die as a result of gunfire than persons who don't.
Another day at the OK Corral.

Old 01-24-2016, 09:48 PM

3,437 posts, read 3,284,294 times
force continuum..obviously they dont know how it escalates and didnt practice quickdraw

Old 01-25-2016, 12:04 AM

1,095 posts, read 1,630,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
This just in:

People who carry / keep guns are 4.5x more likely to die as a result of gunfire than persons who don't.
You'll love this one! Man who says he feared mass shootings accidentally shoots stranger in movie theater, police say | The Seattle Times

Old 01-25-2016, 01:41 AM

83 posts, read 68,610 times
Police said Gallion told them he had taken medicine for anxiety in the morning and that he’d had a pizza and a 22-ounce beer before the movie.

Last edited by lilydopip; 01-25-2016 at 01:54 AM..

Old 01-25-2016, 01:53 AM

83 posts, read 68,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
This just in:

As for the point about Philadelphia citizens being more likely to be killed if they carry a gun…gang bangers anyone? Not everyone who carries a gun is a law abiding citizen. Gang violence is responsible for between 48% and 90% of violent crimes (depending on where you are), so it makes sense that a gang banger is more likely to be killed than an average citizen. If the majority of gun-related murders are gang-on-gang violence, and gang members carry illegal guns, that will inflate the probability of being assaulted or murdered while carrying a gun.
Notice that MJ and the study didn’t specify CHL holders — it only focused on people who carry a gun. There was no distinction between legal and illegal carry. Add in the fact that a single study from a single city does not necessarily mean that the same conditions apply nationwide. More sloppy statistics and misleading statements.

Debunking Mother Jones' '10 Pro-Gun Myths, Shot Down' - The Truth About Guns

Old 01-25-2016, 07:51 AM

21,725 posts, read 16,327,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilydopip View Post
As for the point about Philadelphia citizens being more likely to be killed if they carry a gun…gang bangers anyone? Not everyone who carries a gun is a law abiding citizen. Gang violence is responsible for between 48% and 90% of violent crimes (depending on where you are), so it makes sense that a gang banger is more likely to be killed than an average citizen. If the majority of gun-related murders are gang-on-gang violence, and gang members carry illegal guns, that will inflate the probability of being assaulted or murdered while carrying a gun.
Notice that MJ and the study didn’t specify CHL holders — it only focused on people who carry a gun. There was no distinction between legal and illegal carry. Add in the fact that a single study from a single city does not necessarily mean that the same conditions apply nationwide. More sloppy statistics and misleading statements.

Debunking Mother Jones' '10 Pro-Gun Myths, Shot Down' - The Truth About Guns
Lily - linking a blog post written by 'Nick Leghorn' who uses a logo of Foghorn Leghorn the Warner Bros. cartoon rooster as his I.D. photo, on an obscure and unsourced gun advocacy dot.com, and which post / article is filled such erudite prose as: "I don't care if ..." and "I don't trust those numbers ..." when referencing his disbelief of statistical studies - um, just ain't gonna shoot down the academically sourced and annotated university study I provided as one example among a very deep list of such research papers.

But, even setting that aside for the moment, your premise of "gang-banger" shootings as skewing the numbers is entirely flawed and rendered null and void, by virtue of the study's parameters provided in the quote I referenced in the post citing the statistics you question. I'll re quote the salient sentence below, and bold the part that says the statistics do not include "gang-banger" violence:

Quote:
A study of 626 shootings in or around a residence in three U.S. cities revealed that, for every time a gun in the home was used in a self-defense or legally justifiable shooting, there were four unintentional shootings, seven criminal assaults or homicides, and 11 attempted or completed suicides (Kellermann et al, 1998).
Once again, I repeat, I don't care if you all arm yourselves to the teeth and blow holes in each other. I am merely here to blow holes in stupid statements about the realities of guns.

In closing, as long as we're here, I'll leave you with another fun tidbit to read from the news about how guns can be trusted in the hands of well trained individuals. From Santa Clara California:
Deputy brandished gun at Santa Clara drive-through, officials say - SFGate

Old 01-25-2016, 08:04 AM

1,095 posts, read 1,630,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilydopip View Post
Police said Gallion told them he had taken medicine for anxiety in the morning and that he’d had a pizza and a 22-ounce beer before the movie.
So? Are these factors supposed to excuse his behavior? I thought he was a "good guy with a gun"? Obviously he suffered from the anxiety of being shot in public and needing a gun to feel safe from the scary World just like every other concealed carrier. I really feel like these types of people are big scared babies to be honest.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California