Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2016, 01:15 AM

977 posts, read 1,011,368 times

Advertisements

Okay so I know this might be a weird question, but after reading other people's post I am just wondering... So how racially integrated or separated is California's population? How do you feel about it? I have never been to Cali and I always hear how California is so diverse. Also not just in California, but what about America as a whole? I just thought this might be an interesting topic. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2016, 02:09 AM

21,736 posts, read 16,346,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seattle4321 View Post
I just thought this might be an interesting topic. Thanks!
Whoa! And original! One that's never been discussed here before! Bet you did a search and were left just scratching your head why.

Old 01-21-2016, 07:10 AM

13,827 posts, read 29,936,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seattle4321 View Post
Okay so I know this might be a weird question, but after reading other people's post I am just wondering... So how racially integrated or separated is California's population? How do you feel about it? I have never been to Cali and I always hear how California is so diverse. Also not just in California, but what about America as a whole? I just thought this might be an interesting topic. Thanks!
Los Angeles and Orange County are integrated only by money. That is, if you have money, you can live wherever you want. If you don't, you're probably living somewhere with some level of segregation, with at least one race pretty much nowhere to be found.

OTOH, Riverside and San Bernardino Counties are pretty integrated, by comparison. Keep in mind, Southern California is overwhelmingly Latino, so that takes getting used to for some folks who have never had the Aztlan experience. I grew up in Riverside County, and my high school was pretty diverse, and we all got along well and didn't have any hostility between races, but there was some mild social segregation.

IMO, Sacramento is the best representation you're looking for, it is probably the most balanced/diverse place in California, by all measures.

I feel that California overall is no less or more integrated than Washington (both west and east). They are both more integrated than my current domicile, and more integrated than anywhere I've ever been east of here.

Old 01-21-2016, 07:28 AM

6,357 posts, read 7,766,843 times
First of all, it's not "Cali". Nobody who lives here call it that. "NorCal", "SoCal", or just plain California. Never "Cali".

I live in the high desert north of the transverse range in Los Angeles County. My neighborhood is totally integrated. Blacks, Asians, and Caucasians. Not many Hispanics because it's a fairly upscale neighborhood for the city. Other parts of the city have lower cost of housing. However, a day does not go by when you don't see Hispanics in the neighborhood performing service-type jobs, such as landscaping maintenance. I usually see one fellow drive by the night before trash day collecting metal for recycling. I make sure I save my scrap metal to give to him.

We all get along just fine. It's a nice neighborhood and everybody takes pride in where we live.

Old 01-21-2016, 08:26 AM

816 posts, read 968,127 times
There is a pretty large amount of self segregation in silicon valley.
Especially in the immigrant populations.
Definitely in the engineering crowd.
In engineering, i saw that kind of segregation in school as well.

People who cone to the us for undergrad or primary schooling are much better integerated.
I dont think this is because people are rqcist, its more because, you get used to certain types of company. As you get older, you prefer that kind of company.

I dont know too many white people personally despite being in the us for almost 10 years.

Old 01-21-2016, 08:27 AM

816 posts, read 968,127 times
And i rarely rarely see an african american in an engineering role.

That i dont understand.

Old 01-21-2016, 08:31 AM

21,736 posts, read 16,346,385 times
Seen one Californian, you've seen 'em all. We all look alike.

Old 01-21-2016, 12:37 PM

8,452 posts, read 15,041,876 times
California has some racial diversity, but not in the percentages some people might expect. Per 2014 US Census Quick Facts:

Black: 6.5%
Asian: 14.4%
White (includes Hispanic or Latino): 73.2%
White (not Hispanic or Latino): 38.5%
Two or more races: 3.7%

Although not a separate race,
Hispanic or Latino:38.6%

California QuickFacts from the US Census Bureau

Old 01-21-2016, 07:03 PM

1,824 posts, read 1,668,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Aguilar View Post
Los Angeles and Orange County are integrated only by money.
Why are mentioning that. Should never mention or talk about Los angeles with such a place like that.

Old 01-21-2016, 07:09 PM

9,891 posts, read 11,764,474 times
At the present rate of change, in just a very few short years, California will be more than 50% Hispanic.

For a number of years, the immigration from other states, has been less than out migration to other states. The biggest change in population in California is caused by immigrants (mostly Hispanic and Asians), both legal and illegal immigration, coupled with the high birth rate of Hispanic young women.

I doubt you can find a more diverse population anywhere else in the United States.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California