Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2016, 06:33 PM

1,424 posts, read 1,638,738 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fargobound View Post
Well Sacramento does have a river that is useable and quick access to better skiing.

What does LA have to offer? traffic, dirty beaches and a few crummy amusement parks?

IMO SF, LA and NYC are places people try hard to BS themselves into thinking this is where it's at, that they made it.
I find people like you, who actively hope that hundreds of thousands of people lose their jobs, their homes and their savings, are pretty boring.

Live your life, save your money, be conservative and it will work out. If you need others to fail, so you can feel successful, that's pretty boring.

As far as the original topic, the answer is who knows. If you look at cities like HK, Singapore and London as far as prices per Sq ft and as a multiple of Median Income, both SF and LA have a lot more room to go.

SF, specifically is driven up by very strong demand which is met by utterly restrictive building policies. The city is tens of thousands housing units short, due to policies that restrict building heights and limited land. i.e. SF is 7x7 sq. miles and you are only allowed to build up in 1 area of the city. It is not massive demand that has driven prices up. It is lack of supply.

If you analyze the previous bubble, the way things unraveled are

- Bad borrowers were given mortgages they couldn't handle
- Houses were being bought with zero downpayment
- This created a lot of demand for existing housing, so people started building even more houses
- As these bad borrowers became unable to keep up with their payments they started listing their houses, so they could get out
- Since these buyers were no longer looking to buy, sales started to flatten out
- At the same time all these newly built houses became available, flooding the market with even more houses competing for now fewer buyers
- Then foreclosures started to occur and EVEN MORE supply appeared chasing even less demand, which lead to prices crashing

So here we are now.

What's different this time
- Credit requirements are very strict. My wife and I have amazing incomes and work history, but when we bought 2 years ago, we couldn't out less than 20% and we had to jump through a lot of hoops
- There is a lot less leverage on family balance sheets
- The subprime borrower currently does not exist
- The people buying the houses are usually qualified and have big incomes
- despite what fargobound's personal opinion is, SF and LA ARE considered world cities with proximity to world class universities such as UCLA, Stanford, Cal, Pomona, Cal Tech etc. all places that the Chinese aristocracy wants to send their children. They are buying houses and they have a LOT of money
- In cities like SF, there is just very little new supply coming in

What's NOT different this time
- SF is very levered to tech and healthcare. If Tech falters, which it definitely will at some point, (although the magnitude is unclear) prices in SF will come down. How much, I don’t know. However, tech will rebound. All the technology of the future will be built in SV, there is zero doubt about that. If you think about it, the tech “bubble” in the bay area has never burst. Since the 60s, it has only grown
- LA counts even more on Chinese money, because unlike SF, which is the most educated city in America, LA county is actually very uneducated with a lot of poor immigrants and blue collar workers
- If tech falters, LA will get hit much harder than SF, because it lacks critical mass
- Also, areas that are most susceptible to price tanking will be areas like OC, where new construction is more available
- San Diego, Inland Empire and less desirable suburbs of LA will get hammered first and harder, just like last time

Anyway, that's just my $0.02. Like everyone else on this thread, I am guessing, but I have tried to put some thought in my guessing
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2016, 11:29 PM

102,210 posts, read 107,883,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbieHere View Post
I know on cyber, people like to exaggerate. I had a tenant who was CEO a couple of years ago with similar salary and he bought a house in 2013 with that exact salary. His wife didn't work and he bought a nice but not luxurious home. I'm sure today you can buy something but not in super expensive area.
The standard in parts of the US will have to change to condos, like in Europe. Or apartment rentals. I wonder how they keep rents stable over there, in areas where there's an economic boom. Most people in Europe rent their apartments. But the standard, according to many people on the Europe forum, is 300-500 sq. feet. In the US, those are considered micro-apts.

But yes, in the Bay Area there are a few places left with relatively affordable housing, but as Jade said, you can't always get a good school district with that, OR you have to live far out where it's very hot, and deal with a very long commute. And as she said, the infrastructure can't handle that; there's no more room on the highways or the public transit systems, for more commuters. And there's no room to build more lanes or special rail lines, or anything like that. This level of growth was not anticipated or planned for.

Old 01-28-2016, 05:57 AM

4,236 posts, read 8,141,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyinCali View Post
I find people like you, who actively hope that hundreds of thousands of people lose their jobs, their homes and their savings, are pretty boring.

So boring that you wrote a large response.

Any Californian that denies that a devastating earthquake will visit a large metro one day has their head in the sand.

Old 01-28-2016, 06:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fargobound View Post
So boring that you wrote a large response.

Any Californian that denies that a devastating earthquake will visit a large metro one day has their head in the sand.
Only the first part of my response was to you. Don't flatter yourself

Old 01-28-2016, 06:35 AM

11,558 posts, read 12,052,616 times
Don't despair, there are still affordable houses in CA. One in Needles is $29k, 3+1 at 545 California Ave.

Old 01-28-2016, 10:00 AM
jw2

2,028 posts, read 3,266,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyinCali View Post

Live your life, save your money, be conservative and it will work out. If you need others to fail, so you can feel successful, that's pretty boring.

As far as the original topic, the answer is who knows. If you look at cities like HK, Singapore and London as far as prices per Sq ft and as a multiple of Median Income, both SF and LA have a lot more room to go.

SF, specifically is driven up by very strong demand which is met by utterly restrictive building policies. The city is tens of thousands housing units short, due to policies that restrict building heights and limited land. i.e. SF is 7x7 sq. miles and you are only allowed to build up in 1 area of the city. It is not massive demand that has driven prices up. It is lack of supply.

If you analyze the previous bubble, the way things unraveled are

- Bad borrowers were given mortgages they couldn't handle
- Houses were being bought with zero downpayment
- This created a lot of demand for existing housing, so people started building even more houses
- As these bad borrowers became unable to keep up with their payments they started listing their houses, so they could get out
- Since these buyers were no longer looking to buy, sales started to flatten out
- At the same time all these newly built houses became available, flooding the market with even more houses competing for now fewer buyers
- Then foreclosures started to occur and EVEN MORE supply appeared chasing even less demand, which lead to prices crashing

So here we are now.

What's different this time
- Credit requirements are very strict. My wife and I have amazing incomes and work history, but when we bought 2 years ago, we couldn't out less than 20% and we had to jump through a lot of hoops
- There is a lot less leverage on family balance sheets
- The subprime borrower currently does not exist
- The people buying the houses are usually qualified and have big incomes
- despite what fargobound's personal opinion is, SF and LA ARE considered world cities with proximity to world class universities such as UCLA, Stanford, Cal, Pomona, Cal Tech etc. all places that the Chinese aristocracy wants to send their children. They are buying houses and they have a LOT of money
- In cities like SF, there is just very little new supply coming in

What's NOT different this time
- SF is very levered to tech and healthcare. If Tech falters, which it definitely will at some point, (although the magnitude is unclear) prices in SF will come down. How much, I don’t know. However, tech will rebound. All the technology of the future will be built in SV, there is zero doubt about that. If you think about it, the tech “bubble” in the bay area has never burst. Since the 60s, it has only grown
- LA counts even more on Chinese money, because unlike SF, which is the most educated city in America, LA county is actually very uneducated with a lot of poor immigrants and blue collar workers
- If tech falters, LA will get hit much harder than SF, because it lacks critical mass
- Also, areas that are most susceptible to price tanking will be areas like OC, where new construction is more available
- San Diego, Inland Empire and less desirable suburbs of LA will get hammered first and harder, just like last time

Anyway, that's just my $0.02. Like everyone else on this thread, I am guessing, but I have tried to put some thought in my guessing
I am not sure what you mean by "If tech falters, LA will get hit much harder than SF, because it lacks critical mass" but I will add some comments about LA.

Los Angeles does have a more varied economy than some people realize. Aside from its emerging tech scene, which is really growing..

L.A. County has a larger GDP than the countries of Belgium, Saudi Arabia, Norway and Taiwan.

About 40% of all containerized goods entering the U.S. pass through L.A., the largest seaport in the Western Hemisphere. International trade is the largest industry in Los Angeles by employment

L.A. County is the largest manufacturing center in the U.S., with more manufacturing jobs than the state of Michigan.

L.A. is a world leader in aerospace, clean technology, entertainment, fashion, healthcare, and tourism.

Los Angeles is home to some of the finest research institutions/facilities and teaching hospitals in the nation, including UCLA Medical Center, USC's Keck School of Medicine, Cedars-Sinai Hospital, the House Ear Institute, Good Samaritan, Children’s Hospital Los Angeles, California Hospital Medical Center, and the Doheny and Jules Stein Eye Institutes

The creative industries in Los Angeles are a major player in the regional economy, generating nearly 1 million jobs and over $100 billion in sales revenue. And the creative economy in Los Angeles goes far beyond the world-famous film and entertainment industries, encompassing a range of creative fields and disciplines that make L.A. the creative capital of the United States

OEBP - Los Angeles Economy

Old 01-28-2016, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jw2 View Post
I am not sure what you mean by "If tech falters, LA will get hit much harder than SF, because it lacks critical mass" but I will add some comments about LA.

Los Angeles does have a more varied economy than some people realize. Aside from its emerging tech scene, which is really growing..

L.A. County has a larger GDP than the countries of Belgium, Saudi Arabia, Norway and Taiwan.

About 40% of all containerized goods entering the U.S. pass through L.A., the largest seaport in the Western Hemisphere. International trade is the largest industry in Los Angeles by employment

L.A. County is the largest manufacturing center in the U.S., with more manufacturing jobs than the state of Michigan.

L.A. is a world leader in aerospace, clean technology, entertainment, fashion, healthcare, and tourism.

Los Angeles is home to some of the finest research institutions/facilities and teaching hospitals in the nation, including UCLA Medical Center, USC's Keck School of Medicine, Cedars-Sinai Hospital, the House Ear Institute, Good Samaritan, Children’s Hospital Los Angeles, California Hospital Medical Center, and the Doheny and Jules Stein Eye Institutes

The creative industries in Los Angeles are a major player in the regional economy, generating nearly 1 million jobs and over $100 billion in sales revenue. And the creative economy in Los Angeles goes far beyond the world-famous film and entertainment industries, encompassing a range of creative fields and disciplines that make L.A. the creative capital of the United States

OEBP - Los Angeles Economy
It is a good catch. I tried to edit but it is too late. I meant that Tech in LA will get hit much harder than Tech in SF

Old 01-28-2016, 04:57 PM

10,065 posts, read 7,237,863 times
What I want to know... How do people afford to live in California?

I recently just had another CA job opportunity- Long Beach, CA, starting salary $75-85K. From what I can see on Zillow - a decent house in the area STARTS at $500K, and it would be better to pay $600K+ WTF!?!?

I just..... don't get it. There's no way I can make that move, even though it would be a "step up" in my career. I currently make $51K and my mortgage costs me $900 right now - 36% of my net income. If I blanked out my savings and begged for help from my and my wife's family, we could come up with the $130K for 20% down on a $600K house... but our mortgage would still be 2400 - about 52% of net take home off of an 80K salary. I would have to pray that my wife got a great job just to get back to the place we are right now.

The way I calculate it, even if they offered me the high side of their starting salary range, I would be taking at least a 12% pay CUT, possibly 15-18%, AND I would have to blank out my savings.

Old 01-28-2016, 06:43 PM

2,347 posts, read 3,333,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redguard57 View Post
What I want to know... How do people afford to live in California?

I recently just had another CA job opportunity

The way I calculate it, even if they offered me the high side of their starting salary range, I would be taking at least a 12% pay CUT, possibly 15-18%, AND I would have to blank out my savings.
That is just the price you have to pay to live in CA, home of the worlds finest beaches, nice weather, tasty fish tacos, Mongolian art museums, and interracial dating.

Priorities man. All about priorities.

Old 01-28-2016, 06:55 PM

26,727 posts, read 26,806,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil P View Post
A lot of the US looks promising in the future, but Cali and the west coast don't look bright at all to me.
They do to other people, though.

The Southern California housing market picked up speed in December, capping a year of improvement that saw rising sales and prices. - LA Times
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California