Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-02-2016, 07:59 PM

21,724 posts, read 16,323,643 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post
But you can sit there creeping along in the heavy traffic, with the window down, enjoying the weather, so what is the problem?

It is all about the weather, isn't it?
Oh give it a rest, man. Seriously. Go possum hunting in your Tennessee hills or something.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2016, 08:07 PM

10,137 posts, read 17,472,767 times
Quote:
But you can sit there creeping along in the heavy traffic, with the window down, enjoying the weather, so what is the problem?

It is all about the weather, isn't it?
Yeah right 90F and humid in summer love it

Old 02-02-2016, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teckeeee View Post
Yeah right 90F and humid in summer love it
Humid? Where?

Old 02-02-2016, 11:24 PM

8,213 posts, read 16,686,935 times
Quote:
If most people could find a job in the other areas and moved there, they would become crowded and hectic. The problem is they do not have enough jobs for many to move away. Plus while many areas of CA are beautiful, I would NOT want to live in Fresno or Bakersfield, etc. They are not as pleasant as the coastal areas and it is the coastal areas that draw people. The main draw to CA is the weather (Mainly the southern coastal areas, the beaches (ditto) and the things they can do in the metropolitan areas. The balance of the beauty of the State is something people want to visit but not live in or near
Well, yes, that's one reason places like Monterey and the rest of the Central Coast are so enjoyable. Population growth is very low. Yet, believe it or not, jobs are increasing in certain areas while the population is not.

I've heard many say they love this part of the state and if there was any way they could live here, they would. I used to think the same thing about elusive places like San Luis Obsipo, Carmel, Monterey, Santa Cruz, etc... North of the SoCal concrete jungle and South of the Bay Area mess. Just not enough jobs like the big metros, right? However, after investigating it over time and eventually finding a job, I realized all someone needs is 'one.' There doesn't have to be thousands of opening with tens of thousands of people fighting over them like in the metros. If you can find one company hiring in your line of work, that's all that is needed. Then, the seemingly unattainable becomes just another place to move to. After living here for close to eight years, I can't help but ponder just how normal it is and sometimes how nominal one has to be at what they do to stay gainfully employed. And then, if someone is actually pretty good at what they do (butcher, baker, candlestick maker), they *really* get recognized. Think big fish in small bowl scenario. Now of course its not as cheap as other places in terms of RE. Though its definitely more affordable than SJ just an hour to the north. And there are outskirt areas which aren't bad and somewhat more affordable like Prunedale, Oak Hills, Hollister, etc... When you consider the awesome weather, beauty, lack of traffic and crowds, its really hard to beat. Though I know its not for everyone, especially if looking for the home for much lower prices. Then, yes, they need to look inland.

Speaking of inland, after moving back from CO and then visiting places like Sacramento, Grass Valley and even Fresno, I thought I would rather live in inland CA than CO. Sure, its not 'on' the coast. But its only a few hour drive away. That beats the heck out of places like CO which takes 20 hours. And like the other poster mentioned, you get the lower housing costs not to mention close proximity to the High Sierra mountain range which is beautiful in its own right.

Derek

Last edited by MtnSurfer; 02-02-2016 at 11:38 PM..

Old 02-03-2016, 12:17 AM

18,813 posts, read 32,476,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
I don't appreciate you putting words in my mouth. No, I'm not "owed" it as some kind of right. But common sense dictates you build housing to accommodate your workforce or you cease to be a desirable place to live for said workforce.

It's particularly ironic that you tell me to "get over it" yet you get a housing subsidy yourself. Talk about the pot calling the kettle black. I'm advocating for building enough housing so that there would be less need for such subsidies in the first place.
No, common sense does not dictate that affordable housing is required for a workforce. If that workforce can afford million dollar homes, then that is what's affordable for your workforce.

For affordable housing for low income seniors, like myself, no there is no requirement. Or for other low income workers. If you need low income workers, then yes, you'll have to address housing issues, if you can't get any of them to commute to you to do your dirty work.

But, an effective argument does not include a personal attack. Attacking my income as a disabled senior, who lives in Bum Stuff, CA, in no way makes your point that affordable housing is a requirement in San Francisco.

This is a very bad diversion and does not prove your point in any way.

Old 02-03-2016, 09:48 AM

18,172 posts, read 16,382,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnSurfer View Post
Well, yes, that's one reason places like Monterey and the rest of the Central Coast are so enjoyable. Population growth is very low. Yet, believe it or not, jobs are increasing in certain areas while the population is not.

I've heard many say they love this part of the state and if there was any way they could live here, they would. I used to think the same thing about elusive places like San Luis Obsipo, Carmel, Monterey, Santa Cruz, etc... North of the SoCal concrete jungle and South of the Bay Area mess. Just not enough jobs like the big metros, right? However, after investigating it over time and eventually finding a job, I realized all someone needs is 'one.' There doesn't have to be thousands of opening with tens of thousands of people fighting over them like in the metros. If you can find one company hiring in your line of work, that's all that is needed. Then, the seemingly unattainable becomes just another place to move to. After living here for close to eight years, I can't help but ponder just how normal it is and sometimes how nominal one has to be at what they do to stay gainfully employed. And then, if someone is actually pretty good at what they do (butcher, baker, candlestick maker), they *really* get recognized. Think big fish in small bowl scenario. Now of course its not as cheap as other places in terms of RE. Though its definitely more affordable than SJ just an hour to the north. And there are outskirt areas which aren't bad and somewhat more affordable like Prunedale, Oak Hills, Hollister, etc... When you consider the awesome weather, beauty, lack of traffic and crowds, its really hard to beat. Though I know its not for everyone, especially if looking for the home for much lower prices. Then, yes, they need to look inland.

Speaking of inland, after moving back from CO and then visiting places like Sacramento, Grass Valley and even Fresno, I thought I would rather live in inland CA than CO. Sure, its not 'on' the coast. But its only a few hour drive away. That beats the heck out of places like CO which takes 20 hours. And like the other poster mentioned, you get the lower housing costs not to mention close proximity to the High Sierra mountain range which is beautiful in its own right.

Derek
I agree there are many places in CA that can be enjoyed and a job found, as you did. For some such a move is possible, for the majority it isn't. Yes I am sure most people could find a job for them, but there are not enough for a LOT of people. This is a good thing for those with the will and drive to move and enjoy these areas without the problems of SoCal, etc. The fact you did it is great for you, and enjoy it. Also enjoy the reality that it will be a long time before such areas are "built out" and become less enjoyable.

Old 02-03-2016, 11:18 AM

1,570 posts, read 1,378,180 times
While,yes, the weather is very hot in summer here in my little section of the central valley, the rest of the year is pretty nice. The land and home prices are much lower than the coast and the Sierras are in my backyard with views like this:

Lake Success looking toward Springville, Ca. This is 1/2 mile from my house. There are a lot of places in California that are affordable and pretty.

Old 02-03-2016, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by janellen View Post
While,yes, the weather is very hot in summer here in my little section of the central valley, the rest of the year is pretty nice. The land and home prices are much lower than the coast and the Sierras are in my backyard with views like this:

Lake Success looking toward Springville, Ca. This is 1/2 mile from my house. There are a lot of places in California that are affordable and pretty.
Oh shuuush now!

Old 02-03-2016, 12:29 PM

1,570 posts, read 1,378,180 times
While I don't like having close neighbors, for those that don't mind, here is an example of a 4 bedroom, 3 bath, two story home for under $200,000 in my town. Seems reasonable to me. Acreage is also reasonable.

New Pending

Old 02-03-2016, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by janellen View Post
While I don't like having close neighbors, for those that don't mind, here is an example of a 4 bedroom, 3 bath, two story home for under $200,000 in my town. Seems reasonable to me. Acreage is also reasonable.

New Pending
Double shuuush!

Nothing to see here folks. Really. Just move along now. I hear Texas calling!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California