U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 02-10-2016, 09:28 AM
 
Location: On the water.
17,687 posts, read 10,154,888 times
Reputation: 14898

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainHi View Post
Good point. I never thought of GW Bush as a fashion icon, but you've caused me to see him in a whole new light. YEE HA!


And anything's better than the old light, eh?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-10-2016, 01:54 PM
 
Location: State of Transition
88,366 posts, read 82,426,967 times
Reputation: 92740
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
Hey! Not nice! Cowboy (and cowgirl!) hats and boots, string ties, sequined shirts with lariat embroidery aren't fashion?
That is HUGE fashion where I live, in Santa Fe, NM. Tourists come here for the historic vibe, and buy all kinds of fancy leatherwork boots, cowboy hats, the whole ball of wax. Cowboy hats and boots are considered high fashion even for women locals. And then there are the Western Wear-style shirts and blouses for men and women. I guess part of the clientele comes from the Texas fat cats who own vacation homes here. They can't be without their cowboy hats! Gotta have a local supply.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-10-2016, 05:42 PM
 
Location: The High Seas
7,376 posts, read 14,282,887 times
Reputation: 11779
I reckoned this thread title had a Ma and Pa Kettle ring to it.


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6blD-cfko1A

For all you youngin's under 90...
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-10-2016, 08:00 PM
 
Location: Santa Cruz, CA
1,723 posts, read 1,331,123 times
Reputation: 1308
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
That is HUGE fashion where I live, in Santa Fe, NM. Tourists come here for the historic vibe, and buy all kinds of fancy leatherwork boots, cowboy hats, the whole ball of wax. Cowboy hats and boots are considered high fashion even for women locals. And then there are the Western Wear-style shirts and blouses for men and women. I guess part of the clientele comes from the Texas fat cats who own vacation homes here. They can't be without their cowboy hats! Gotta have a local supply.
Are you kidding me?
O.P. .... no words.
Just sorry.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-11-2016, 12:36 PM
 
964 posts, read 805,433 times
Reputation: 1279
Quote:
Originally Posted by HereOnMars View Post
Although both great places, not suited for a person with emphysema. Even coastal California is bad. She'll need to be in a drier climate.
If this is true, if a coastal climate isn't compatible with emphysema, the OP will have to give up her desire for ocean proximity. It means her preference for that isn't compatible with her mother's health needs.

Chelan, WA, could be a good compromise--dry climate, but proximity to water, and a beautiful lakeside environment, hiking, etc. Check it out, OP. Not sure about jobs, or what type of work you'd be looking for, or if your work is portable, and can be done remotely.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-11-2016, 06:36 PM
 
Location: Santa Cruz, CA
1,723 posts, read 1,331,123 times
Reputation: 1308
Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainHi View Post
If this is true, if a coastal climate isn't compatible with emphysema, the OP will have to give up her desire for ocean proximity. It means her preference for that isn't compatible with her mother's health needs.

Chelan, WA, could be a good compromise--dry climate, but proximity to water, and a beautiful lakeside environment, hiking, etc. Check it out, OP. Not sure about jobs, or what type of work you'd be looking for, or if your work is portable, and can be done remotely.
I don't know about emphysema but i know that my lungs like nothing better than clean ocean air. The moist, cooling, negatively ionized air is both soothing and healing ... for me. But i don't have emphysema so i dunno.
High mountain air is good for the body and ultimately for the lungs too (if one has generally healthy lungs at least) but that often means too cold and taxing for the lungs of some people. Also, if there's an oxygen issue, acclimating to high altitude would be very challenging.

And someone suggested the desert. I don't know how emphysema and allergies "go together" but when i lived in N.M. i worked at a health food store in the nutrition department. So, so many people would come into the store because they were really suffering from some serious allergy issues. More than not those people came to the desert from more lush / green environment where allergies were an issue for them. They assumed that in the desert, because of its relative lack of growing things, they'd fair better re; allergies. Not at all. Often they were suffering worse. Also, at least for me, hot dry air is not soothing for the lungs ... just the opposite.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-11-2016, 07:15 PM
 
964 posts, read 805,433 times
Reputation: 1279
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueskywalker View Post
I don't know about emphysema but i know that my lungs like nothing better than clean ocean air. The moist, cooling, negatively ionized air is both soothing and healing ... for me. But i don't have emphysema so i dunno.
High mountain air is good for the body and ultimately for the lungs too (if one has generally healthy lungs at least) but that often means too cold and taxing for the lungs of some people. Also, if there's an oxygen issue, acclimating to high altitude would be very challenging.

And someone suggested the desert. I don't know how emphysema and allergies "go together" but when i lived in N.M. i worked at a health food store in the nutrition department. So, so many people would come into the store because they were really suffering from some serious allergy issues. More than not those people came to the desert from more lush / green environment where allergies were an issue for them. They assumed that in the desert, because of its relative lack of growing things, they'd fair better re; allergies. Not at all. Often they were suffering worse. Also, at least for me, hot dry air is not soothing for the lungs ... just the opposite.
That sums it up. I think the OP should consult with her mother's doctor to get some expert feedback on what type of environment her mother is likely to do best in.

Allergies can happen anywhere. There are effective treatments for that. IIRC Arizona and NM have a lot of juniper, so that's the main allergen there. But people in Seattle get juniper allergies, too. It doesn't relate to desert vs. non-desert. And don't worry, no one suggested high mountain air. I was originally going to suggest Tahoe, but nixed that, because the OP said her mother had health concerns that contraindicated living at a high altitude.

Whatever turns out to be best for the mother's health, anywhere in the West but coastal CA would be cheaper for the OP, if affordability is a concern. We don't know what her budget is. But the OP hasn't been back to provide more info, so it could be she already got what she needed from the thread.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California

All times are GMT -6.

Ā© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top