U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 02-08-2016, 12:14 PM
 
1 posts, read 729 times
Reputation: 17

Advertisements

Hello Everyone,

I live in Queens NY, I am a single working mother of two small kids and I am looking to relocate out to California. (I have visited San Fran, Monterrey, San Diego and I've lived in Studio City LA but wasn't a huge fan of LA)
I would be relocating myself my kids and my senior citizen parents one with mild emphysema. We all live in this small town house and have grown out of it.
We were about to consider Denver/Co Springs however when we found out my mother has mild emphysema, I immediately researched that high elevation is a no go for her health issue. At this point I am looking into a mild dry climate near or around a larger city where I can commute to work, (I currently work in the fashion industry on the operations side).
Ideally Northern California seemed perfect as there seems to be some slight change in seasons. However prices seem if not worse than NYC for daily living and I know San Fran is on a major fault line which slightly terrifies me. We are considering San Diego area, Huntington Beach area and still the NorCal area.

We would be selling our home here and looking for a foreclosure out there.
I listed some ideal needs and wants as well as concerns. I really would appreciate some insight from all of you as I have exhausted myself in research and asked every person I know in Cali on their thoughts.

1. First and foremost a safe good area for the kids and great schools, somewhere where they can enjoy their childhood and take part in school sports etc.
2. A place where my parents could walk to the kids school and a store at least as they don't drive and would solely depend on me.
3. An area were there is a downtown or main street
4. Somewhere where I can be close to some social life, (I love seeing live music and enjoy a good beer now and then)
5.Close to some nature beach or hiking
6.Scenic, I am not a fan of flat dry prairie land
7. Somewhat affordable as I know Cali is all around very expensive but we would save money on a foreclosure.
8. Traffic is a concern however I do commute over an hour to work now anyhow as long as I can keep it in that range that would be fine.

Thanks again for all of your help it is truly appreciated!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-08-2016, 12:20 PM
 
Location: TOVCCA
8,452 posts, read 12,864,526 times
Reputation: 12448
Be specific as to budget and how large a house you need.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-08-2016, 01:17 PM
 
18,173 posts, read 12,600,898 times
Reputation: 9235
Quote:
Originally Posted by lalaNYC View Post
Hello Everyone,

I live in Queens NY, I am a single working mother of two small kids and I am looking to relocate out to California. (I have visited San Fran, Monterrey, San Diego and I've lived in Studio City LA but wasn't a huge fan of LA)
I would be relocating myself my kids and my senior citizen parents one with mild emphysema. We all live in this small town house and have grown out of it.
We were about to consider Denver/Co Springs however when we found out my mother has mild emphysema, I immediately researched that high elevation is a no go for her health issue. At this point I am looking into a mild dry climate near or around a larger city where I can commute to work, (I currently work in the fashion industry on the operations side).
Ideally Northern California seemed perfect as there seems to be some slight change in seasons. However prices seem if not worse than NYC for daily living and I know San Fran is on a major fault line which slightly terrifies me. We are considering San Diego area, Huntington Beach area and still the NorCal area.

We would be selling our home here and looking for a foreclosure out there.
I listed some ideal needs and wants as well as concerns. I really would appreciate some insight from all of you as I have exhausted myself in research and asked every person I know in Cali on their thoughts.

1. First and foremost a safe good area for the kids and great schools, somewhere where they can enjoy their childhood and take part in school sports etc.
2. A place where my parents could walk to the kids school and a store at least as they don't drive and would solely depend on me.
3. An area were there is a downtown or main street
4. Somewhere where I can be close to some social life, (I love seeing live music and enjoy a good beer now and then)
5.Close to some nature beach or hiking
6.Scenic, I am not a fan of flat dry prairie land
7. Somewhat affordable as I know Cali is all around very expensive but we would save money on a foreclosure.
8. Traffic is a concern however I do commute over an hour to work now anyhow as long as I can keep it in that range that would be fine.

Thanks again for all of your help it is truly appreciated!
Be careful about foreclosures as many have been stripped of anything movable and in some cases damaged, so nowhere near move in ready.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-08-2016, 02:25 PM
 
7,463 posts, read 5,468,789 times
Reputation: 9401
Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post
Be careful about foreclosures as many have been stripped of anything movable and in some cases damaged, so nowhere near move in ready.
And the buyer is usually required to pay all tax liens against the foreclosure. Here is a good article with tips on buying a foreclosure, but it really isn't for the faint of heart, or for those who need a place that they can move into immediately:

5 Tips for Buying a Foreclosed Home | Bankrate.com

Another thing that is specific to California, is that the "boom" in cheap foreclosed homes in many of the nicer areas with good schools has come and gone here. Now, foreclosure sales often get into bidding wars and don't always end up being all that far below market, unless you are willing to live in a less desirable area or take on a home that needs serious repairs.

As asked above, what is your budget for a home in California? And, what is the minimum size, number of bedrooms you'd consider? Without that information people really can't respond to your question, foreclosure or not. Also, how flexible is your wish list?

Also, have you investigated where the jobs in your field are most plentiful here in California? No sense buying a cheap foreclosure in El Centro if the main market for jobs for you will be in Los Angeles Perhaps scoping out the job market should come first, then figure out the place to live, but maybe your parents will be paying all living expenses and a job doesn't matter?

Since you have elderly parents and one who already has health issues, I'd add another item to your wish list, which is easy access to top quality medical care. Some areas of California may be better for this than others.

Good luck with your decision.

Last edited by RosieSD; 02-08-2016 at 03:12 PM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-09-2016, 05:30 PM
 
Location: Palo Alto, CA
901 posts, read 974,301 times
Reputation: 1168
Buying foreclosed properties is not simple, have you researched it? Do you have purchase price in ready cash?

I'm guessing that you are in middle of the road Queens. If you're in a hot area of Queens near transit, and will have $1m to spend, then you can do this move. If you have only, say, 500 or 600k, this move will not make sense.

If you are that close to the edge of being able to afford California, it is not worth it. Yes, it is largely as expensive as most of NY state; the metro areas in CA (LA and SF) are mostly on par with Manhattan.

Your list in its entirety is not achievable on a small amount of money. You are asking for a lot.

Overall I strongly suggest Arizona, or other desert states, or maybe the northwest, where your Queens real estate equity will actually allow you to step up. If you can do CO, go for that.

In any desireable part of California near job centers, you would probably be stepping down, unless you do LA and probably endure a long commute.

Given that you're in fashion, and have operations experience, you will have the most opportunities in a very large city. LA.. fits the bill. LA is not cheap, but has many more affordable areas than the San Francisco Bay Area. Of course, LA weather is mind-blowingly awesome, which may or may not make up for its traffic problems. The far fringes of the SF Bay Area may work for you, but I think from these places you'd have access to far fewer jobs than you would in LA.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-09-2016, 06:25 PM
 
Location: State of Transition
88,102 posts, read 82,066,493 times
Reputation: 92286
Maybe you should look for a job, first. And expand your search to include Portland and the Seattle area.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-09-2016, 10:33 PM
 
13,800 posts, read 11,817,778 times
Reputation: 24462
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Maybe you should look for a job, first. And expand your search to include Portland and the Seattle area.
Although both great places, not suited for a person with emphysema. Even coastal California is bad. She'll need to be in a drier climate.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-10-2016, 10:09 AM
 
964 posts, read 802,561 times
Reputation: 1279
Quote:
Originally Posted by HereOnMars View Post
Although both great places, not suited for a person with emphysema. Even coastal California is bad. She'll need to be in a drier climate.
If that's the case, she should be looking either in Arizona or in eastern Washington, and eastern Oregon. There's no fashion industry in those locations, though.

I, too, am wondering about the more practical concerns; how does the OP plan to support a family of three while they get moved into a new place and she's job-searching? Do her parents help cover living expenses, on their retirement and Social Security? What does it mean, you're "on the supply side" in the fashion industry? Are you a designer or a garment worker? What type of work would you be looking for in your new location?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-10-2016, 10:20 AM
 
Location: On the water.
17,590 posts, read 10,103,072 times
Reputation: 14757
Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainHi View Post
Arizona or in eastern Washington, and eastern Oregon. There's no fashion industry in those locations, though.
Hey! Not nice! Cowboy (and cowgirl!) hats and boots, string ties, sequined shirts with lariat embroidery aren't fashion?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-10-2016, 10:25 AM
 
964 posts, read 802,561 times
Reputation: 1279
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
Hey! Not nice! Cowboy (and cowgirl!) hats and boots, string ties, sequined shirts with lariat embroidery aren't fashion?
Good point. I never thought of GW Bush as a fashion icon, but you've caused me to see him in a whole new light. YEE HA!


Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:10 AM.

Ā© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top