Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-15-2016, 11:40 PM

4,932 posts, read 12,758,700 times

Advertisements

The local paper just highlighted what may happen in 2025 if the plant closed down. From an insider working at PG&E, I heard they have financial back up plans and stock already in solar.

SLO County is very small, but the city of SLO's economy has been growing with more tech companies and more tourism. However, I feel a plant shut down would stunt growth. No other large employers are going to look to come to SLO County because are just so far from any major city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2016, 02:20 AM

21,735 posts, read 16,341,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the city View Post
, I feel a plant shut down would stunt growth. No other large employers are going to look to come to SLO County because are just so far from any major city.
Good. Shut down. Stunt growth.

Old 02-16-2016, 10:19 AM

1,722 posts, read 1,742,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
Good. Shut down. Stunt growth.
yep. shut it down. should have been done long ago. should never have been there in the first place.
like seriously duh.
it's so weird (so idiotic and disturbingly frightening to be more accurate) how some people put economic interests before the health and well being of other's.

Old 02-16-2016, 12:06 PM

Hey! I have an idea! If a person wants development for coastal California, and all that goes with development - they could go to LA, or the Bay Area! Then they wouldn't have to wait ---- or tear up beautiful, tranquil natural environments to create a 1000 mile oceanfront strip mall!

Shop till you drop in LA! It's waiting for you and your wallet and storage unit with sultry passion!

Old 02-16-2016, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Hey! I have an idea! If a person wants development for coastal California, and all that goes with development - they could go to LA, or the Bay Area! Then they wouldn't have to wait ---- or tear up beautiful, tranquil natural environments to create a 1000 mile oceanfront strip mall!

Shop till you drop in LA! It's waiting for you and your wallet and storage unit with sultry passion!
If you look at the plan for the city of SLo, it mostly consists of more office buildings and housing to provide jobs for those wanting to come here and those recent Cal Poly grads. There aren't new retail projects proposed.

Old 02-16-2016, 12:27 PM

Quote:
If you look at the plan for the city of SLo, it mostly consists of more office buildings and housing to provide jobs for those wanting to come here and those recent Cal Poly grads. There aren't new retail projects proposed.
Um, yeah. When office buildings and housing are developed for new industry, people move in and just stay quietly unseen, hidden indoors. They never go shopping so no need for retail to follow and roads to become jammed and open spaces converted to malls - and more offices - and more housing - and more malls - and more offices - and more housing ------

Go. To. LA.
It's just down the road a piece.

Old 02-16-2016, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Um, yeah. When office buildings and housing are developed for new industry, people move in and just stay quietly unseen, hidden indoors. They never go shopping so no need for retail to follow and roads to become jammed and open spaces converted to malls - and more offices - and more housing - and more malls - and more offices - and more housing ------

Go. To. LA.
It's just down the road a piece.
No, malls or big box centers won't be built. The city expects a estimated population of 54,000 population by 2030. A mere 7,000 additional population in nine years. There is only plans for another grocery market out by the airport.

Old 02-16-2016, 02:07 PM

Quote:
No, malls or big box centers won't be built. The city expects a estimated population of 54,000 population by 2030. A mere 7,000 additional population in nine years. There is only plans for another grocery market out by the airport.
Good to hear. But that's not the issue you present in this thread. Your OP, quoted below, says you "feel a plant shut down would stunt growth. No other large employers are going to look to come to SLO County because are just so far from any major city.". So, what you are clearly advocating for is more growth than 7,000 people and one new grocery store.

Quote:
The local paper just highlighted what may happen in 2025 if the plant closed down. From an insider working at PG&E, I heard they have financial back up plans and stock already in solar.

SLO County is very small, but the city of SLO's economy has been growing with more tech companies and more tourism. However, I feel a plant shut down would stunt growth. No other large employers are going to look to come to SLO County because are just so far from any major city.

Old 02-16-2016, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Good to hear. But that's not the issue you present in this thread. Your OP, quoted below, says you "feel a plant shut down would stunt growth. No other large employers are going to look to come to SLO County because are just so far from any major city.". So, what you are clearly advocating for is more growth than 7,000 people and one new grocery store.
Don't take my words out of context. I am not advocating more than what the general plan has allowed for. I am advocating ways where the city can be able to keep on track for the goal.

Besides SLO employs more than the people living in it's city limits. It has people from Atascadero, Morro Bay, Los Osos, and Pismo Beach who commute in. Some people farther than those commute in for work too.

The city already has four thriving big box centers and a thriving downtown. With the growth of online retail, there is less demand for brick and mortar stores.

I suspect if Diablo closes that the area will look for more tech and green technology companies to replace the void.

Old 02-16-2016, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Don't take my words out of context. I am not advocating more than what the general plan has allowed for. I am advocating ways where the city can be able to keep on track for the goal.

Besides SLO employs more than the people living in it's city limits. It has people from Atascadero, Morro Bay, Los Osos, and Pismo Beach who commute in. Some people farther than those commute in for work too.

The city already has four thriving big box centers and a thriving downtown. With the growth of online retail, there is less demand for brick and mortar stores.

I suspect if Diablo closes that the area will look for more tech and green technology companies to replace the void.
And my response remains, regardless of staying within the plan or exceeding it: Good. Shut it down. Cease any further development. If people want what comes with development they can drive down the road apiece to LA.

City, you have a history of advocating for development of all kinds: residential, business, retail. You love the pace and products of development. It's your thing. Fine. Go for it. Down the road.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California