Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2016, 11:02 PM

4,627 posts, read 3,395,314 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by high_plains_drifter View Post
I have a Master's Degree, do you have any data on that? I know San Jose is the place to be, I turned down a job there in 2012, it's just too expensive and people I know who moved there from here when our employer downsized told me they are trying to get out, just this past week one co-worker asked me if I knew of any jobs here, I was like no there are no jobs in our field here or one's that pay anything worth the hassle of living here.
1. The Census figures I posted includes people with a bachelor's degree or higher. I don't know of a source that breaks it down for those with Master's vs. Bachelor's, etc.

2. San Jose: No thanks. I'd take San Diego all day over San Jose. Sure the Bay Area has many great aspects: San Francisco, Monterey Bay, Marin County, etc. But San Jose is an incredibly bland and boring city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2016, 06:15 AM

18,172 posts, read 16,398,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
Well people who only live in one place their whole life have nothing to compare it to. And there are long term FL residents who have left the state for places like TN and NC because they don't like what they see in FL.

Having lived in both states(mostly CA), I saw a noticeable difference in people. FL is loaded with tons of NE transplants, they can live in FL 30 years and still act like they're in NJ, in other words rude. I saw more crazy drivers and horrific crashes in FL than I ever did in CA. A week wouldn't go by without one in the area. I also started to hate driving something I used to enjoy, now back in CA and even with heavier traffic I enjoy driving again.

I also saw for lack of a better word "white trash" in FL, I used to call it Jerry Springer country, I don't see much of that here, not that it doesn't exist, there is less of it despite having double the population.

CA is like the bar that has the $5 cover charge, you hate to pay it but keeps out a lot of riff raff. FL is the bar with no cover charge.

Than there was the weather. Miserable most of the year except for Dec to March. And I like mountains, FL is so flat.

CA wins.
Uh, I have lived in CA for most of my life. I have lived in 7 States. Some of my FL friends have been in CA and some live there now as well and other States. I am diligently researching FL as I may move there next year, so I am not just seeing it with a short term vacation view. No place is perfect not FL not CA. CA is full of riff raff and white trash as well. Every State is to one degree or another. The $5.00 cover charge is a waste of money. If you like Mtns enjoy CA, but flat or mildly hilly with beautiful and WARM beach water is great for many and the cold of the Pacific is not. Those who trash one place over another bring trash to their own home.

Old 03-11-2016, 06:49 AM

892 posts, read 859,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by high_plains_drifter View Post

Also rental rates here and there, at least in the North County area are very close if not the same and often you get a much nicer updated place compared to here, I can show you rentals in areas here that have sculptured carpet, and 1980s' appliances and they want more than places I saw out there.
It's very simple actually, property taxes and HOA fees (as well as insurance) are higher here (in SoFla) than they are in SoCal. Those fees get passed to the renter. They get passed to the buyer too, but not through the sticker price.

I used to own a home off sunset cliffs in San Diego, now I own a comparable condominium (within 300k of each other's market price) in Miami Beach, and I pay more than double in annual expenses here than I did in San Diego. So if I was to put it for rent, you can bet I'd pass through those fees into the rental cost.

One last thing, it seems the rental market is tighter in South Florida. At least the Miami area, it seems more people are priced out of owning property due to low wages and are eternal renters. Even in places like San Diego, which is not known for high-paying jobs in the context of California, a standard Tech job will pay almost 2x what it will in Miami. I know Florida has no state income tax, but for most low-wage earners, that's not saving them that much. Now a couple earning San Diego's wages realistically take 120k more a year than a couple earning Miami's wages in Tech, once you factor out state income tax, it will still be a huge disparity, roughly around 100k without me taking my calculator out and looking at the brackets.

I'm assuming the median Tech salary in San Diego is 120k and in Miami is 60k, so a Miami couple makes 120k whereas that same couple in San Diego makes 240k. It's not far from the truth honestly.

Old 03-11-2016, 07:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nola9grl View Post
So I guess you have benefited from the paper mill also..lol. You earned it UC's are suppose to be the best.
I don't know if UC's are supposed to be the best. I did Math and Economics at UCLA, physics at UCSD but my sister is at Harvard, now that's a good school

TBH, even in the subjects of Math, Physics and Economics I felt the degree was "in-lock" just if I jumped through all the hoops. American universities maybe somewhat selective on admissions process (I emphasize 'somewhat') but there is this overarching philosophy once there, everyone gets a degree.

Looking back on it now, I don't even use mine except for wall decoration and to occasionaly feel like a pseudo-Scientist when science topics come up

Old 03-11-2016, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Majami View Post
It's very simple actually, property taxes and HOA fees (as well as insurance) are higher here (in SoFla) than they are in SoCal. Those fees get passed to the renter. They get passed to the buyer too, but not through the sticker price.

I used to own a home off sunset cliffs in San Diego, now I own a comparable condominium (within 300k of each other's market price) in Miami Beach, and I pay more than double in annual expenses here than I did in San Diego. So if I was to put it for rent, you can bet I'd pass through those fees into the rental cost.

One last thing, it seems the rental market is tighter in South Florida. At least the Miami area, it seems more people are priced out of owning property due to low wages and are eternal renters. Even in places like San Diego, which is not known for high-paying jobs in the context of California, a standard Tech job will pay almost 2x what it will in Miami. I know Florida has no state income tax, but for most low-wage earners, that's not saving them that much. Now a couple earning San Diego's wages realistically take 120k more a year than a couple earning Miami's wages in Tech, once you factor out state income tax, it will still be a huge disparity, roughly around 100k without me taking my calculator out and looking at the brackets.

I'm assuming the median Tech salary in San Diego is 120k and in Miami is 60k, so a Miami couple makes 120k whereas that same couple in San Diego makes 240k. It's not far from the truth honestly.
To do a fair comparison it should be South FL VS the Bay area. SD is not really a good CA example. Mind you I lived in SD County and it is my second favorite County in CA.

I am looking at moving to FL (Central) for health issues and yes the property tax is a bit higher percentage wise, but the housing costs are so much lower that the tax is about the same or less than most of CA, plus the savings in no income tax and no dividend tax and no royalty tax makes it way better than CA overall. . I have also looked at HOA's and they are about the same in both places, though one of the lowest I saw was $6.00 per month near Tampa in a very nice development. Now FL does have CDD's which are kinda like Mello Roos, but worse, so I recommend avoiding any development with such in FL. As to salaries there isn't that big a difference and SD does not have a lot of such jobs as many wanting to take a job offer in SD have found to be the case and are posting on the SD forum. NoCal has a lot but the costs near such jobs are sky high. Between CA and South FL I would choose CA, IF a person can afford it.

Old 03-11-2016, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post
To do a fair comparison it should be South FL VS the Bay area. SD is not really a good CA example. Mind you I lived in SD County and it is my second favorite County in CA.

I am looking at moving to FL (Central) for health issues and yes the property tax is a bit higher percentage wise, but the housing costs are so much lower that the tax is about the same or less than most of CA, plus the savings in no income tax and no dividend tax and no royalty tax makes it way better than CA overall. . I have also looked at HOA's and they are about the same in both places, though one of the lowest I saw was $6.00 per month near Tampa in a very nice development. Now FL does have CDD's which are kinda like Mello Roos, but worse, so I recommend avoiding any development with such in FL. As to salaries there isn't that big a difference and SD does not have a lot of such jobs as many wanting to take a job offer in SD have found to be the case and are posting on the SD forum. NoCal has a lot but the costs near such jobs are sky high. Between CA and South FL I would choose CA, IF a person can afford it.
Here in Miami Beach I pay about double in property taxes, Homestead exception helps a little, just a little.

No state income tax helps me a lot, I mean a lot. It's why I originally chose to move to Miami. But for the average person, it won't help so much.

I'm curious why you're picking Central Florida over South Florida. That has always intrigued me (I know you from the Florida forums).

Old 03-11-2016, 01:25 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,642,029 times
Quote:
Uh, I have lived in CA for most of my life. I have lived in 7 States. Some of my FL friends have been in CA and some live there now as well and other States. I am diligently researching FL as I may move there next year, so I am not just seeing it with a short term vacation view. No place is perfect not FL not CA. CA is full of riff raff and white trash as well. Every State is to one degree or another. The $5.00 cover charge is a waste of money. If you like Mtns enjoy CA, but flat or mildly hilly with beautiful and WARM beach water is great for many and the cold of the Pacific is not. Those who trash one place over another bring trash to their own home.
LOL, I have seen your comments regarding CA, you talk badly about the state on other non CA boards on City Data all the time. So much for your not trashing one place over another.

Look at your "handle" on here, you constantly bash CA.

I don't like FL, but see unlike you I lived there for a few years and came back to CA. I have lived in 5 states, FL is my least favorite.

You started a thread asking about how bad the humidity is, it's bad. Other than Dec to March it is hot and humid from morning to night(no cool down), and you spend a lot of time inside. If that's what you want so be it.

I could care less about beaches, I went to Santa Monica in December on a 65 degree day (that will do till next year), I'm not a sun worshiper(never was), when I tell people how old I am they're shocked. Not bragging but I look more than 10 years younger than I am, combination of good genes, not smoking, and staying out of the sun.

I would see people in FL who were my age(mid 50s) who looked old enough to be my parents, the ones with terminal tan. They looked like road maps.

All FL has is the beaches, again I don't find basking out in the sun to be enjoyable. The difference is that at the CA beaches it is cooler(when it is 90 in the Valley, it is 75 at the coast, most people like that), FL beaches are hot as hell. No relief, and getting into a water that is like a hot bath, isn't refreshing.

Today it is 81 in Palm Springs, 51 in Big Bear. I love the micro climates of CA. FL from Jacksonville to Miami most of the year is the same exact weather.

Than there is the rudeness. I never experienced such rude behavior(mostly northern transplants) like FL.

I agree, trashy types are everywhere, but FL is something else....LOL. Sorry, you just don't see as much of it here, you don't.

I would advise you rent for a year if you do move there.

Old 03-11-2016, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
LOL, I have seen your comments regarding CA, you talk badly about the state on other non CA boards on City Data all the time. So much for your not trashing one place over another.

Look at your "handle" on here, you constantly bash CA.

I don't like FL, but see unlike you I lived there for a few years and came back to CA. I have lived in 5 states, FL is my least favorite.

You started a thread asking about how bad the humidity is, it's bad. Other than Dec to March it is hot and humid from morning to night(no cool down), and you spend a lot of time inside. If that's what you want so be it.

I could care less about beaches, I went to Santa Monica in December on a 65 degree day (that will do till next year), I'm not a sun worshiper(never was), when I tell people how old I am they're shocked. Not bragging but I look more than 10 years younger than I am, combination of good genes, not smoking, and staying out of the sun.

I would see people in FL who were my age(mid 50s) who looked old enough to be my parents, the ones with terminal tan. They looked like road maps.

All FL has is the beaches, again I don't find basking out in the sun to be enjoyable. The difference is that at the CA beaches it is cooler(when it is 90 in the Valley, it is 75 at the coast, most people like that), FL beaches are hot as hell. No relief, and getting into a water that is like a hot bath, isn't refreshing.

Today it is 81 in Palm Springs, 51 in Big Bear. I love the micro climates of CA. FL from Jacksonville to Miami most of the year is the same exact weather.

Than there is the rudeness. I never experienced such rude behavior(mostly northern transplants) like FL.

I agree, trashy types are everywhere, but FL is something else....LOL. Sorry, you just don't see as much of it here, you don't.

I would advise you rent for a year if you do move there.
No I do not bash CA except maybe in joking at times. It is my favorite State, but I will not live there again as long as my wife is alive as she is a CA native too and hates it. I tell the truth as I see it from experience and without blinders. If you do not enjoy the beach, fine, but that has nothing to do with how good or bad a State is. I, by the way, also tell the negat8ives about FL, such as ... CDD's. Again having lived all over SoCal I KNOW there are many, perhaps many more (due to population differences) in CA though it could be likely on a percentage basis, it is the same, as people are people. I have been to the beaches in FL, except the Southern part of the State and they feel good and the sea breeze is a major help with the humidity. CA beaches, and I grew up at Newport beach are great except for the cold Pacific waters. Both CA and FL beach weather felt fine to me, with FL's being a longer period of time and with ... warmer water. However if you like cold, enjoy it. I would rent but my wife hates renting so I am taking my time and will not move until we have visited all areas many times. Now i will agree So FL is not best at least for me and the Gulf is not to me as good as the Atlantic due to warmer waters. I did 3 years of research on TN before I moved here. Still miss a lot about CA but I am not blind to it's problems.

Old 03-11-2016, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Majami View Post
Here in Miami Beach I pay about double in property taxes, Homestead exception helps a little, just a little.

No state income tax helps me a lot, I mean a lot. It's why I originally chose to move to Miami. But for the average person, it won't help so much.

I'm curious why you're picking Central Florida over South Florida. That has always intrigued me (I know you from the Florida forums).
Hi,

Two reasons. My wife likes some cool weather and central FL has a better balance of warm and cool for both of us. So FL too hot, No FL, too cold at times, so central is a good balance.

Plus, especially around the Space Coast not as much traffic, lower costs, though the Tampa side has a lot to do, so ... We will be visiting Tampa in a couple of weeks. The Coast is almost a necessity as I miss the beach and growing up at the beach has had a life long impact on me. Love it. Both CA and FL have beautiful beaches, but the water is easier for me to get into in FL as I hate cold water. I could move back to CA, but if I did I would be in a wooden box as my wife would kill me, sooo... she comes first, plus I like to keep breathing.

Old 03-11-2016, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Hi,

Two reasons. My wife likes some cool weather and central FL has a better balance of warm and cool for both of us. So FL too hot, No FL, too cold at times, so central is a good balance.
Ok, just be aware Central Florida gets as hot, if not hotter, than South Florida in the summer. But in South Florida the heat lasts longer. The winter weather in Central Florida (December, January, February) is only a little bit warmer by average than Southern California. Only a little bit. Central Florida will also see freezes maybe once or twice a winter that last for about a hour, South Florida escapes all of that.

If you were to ask me, I'd make our winters even warmer. I love boating and swimming but I realize my preferences may not be yours.

Just be prepared in Central Florida for a definite "Southern" vibe. You may love it or hate, but just be prepared for it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California