U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2016, 11:49 AM

4 posts, read 5,944 times

Advertisements

Hello, my name is Carmilla and I was born and raised in Watts, California. My family and I moved from Watts to Kansas City, Kansas in 2005. As you would imagine, the move was devastating for me. People in Kansas often ask, why would you move from California to Kansas?!?!? I always reply with "I was too young to say no haha!" Moving forward, I'm twenty-one now and I am more than ready to go back home to California, however, finances are a big obstacle. I live on my own and I have to pay bills, bills and more bills. Obviously, bills make it extremely difficult to save money! At the rate that I'm saving, it would take me over four years to move back to California! I don't have a roommate or anyone that could be a roommate. I can't live with my parents because I'm not close to my dad and my mom needs special care because she has a load of medical disabilities on top of being completely paralyzed on the left side of her body. I have plenty of family in California, however, my family is the "only speak around holidays" type. I also have two cats that I don't think I can part with. I work at the Humane Society and I see cats being returned to our shelter all the time due to relocation. The toll that it takes on these animals when they are returned is saddening and I don't think I could put my boys through it. However, finances make it quite difficult to move with pets. Furthermore, I really want to go to college as soon as possible! I want to go to school to be a Veterinary Technician and with time I want to become a Veterinarian. I plan on going to school in California but I know In-State students are usually first priority. I would love to live in Torrance, California but I know it isn't cheap. I'm a SoCal girl so I would definitely prefer to live somewhere that I am familiar with that offer a Veterinary Technician program like Los Angeles, Torrance, Pasadena, Irvine and Long Beach. I'm also open to living in cheaper places with Veterinary Technician programs like Fresno to get a jump start without my finances taking such a heavy hit. So I'm here to ask for any tips or suggestions on moving back to California, especially with California's cost of living.

Is there any school aid or scholarships that I could help me with the initial move along with school?
Should I get a second job here in Kansas and work like crazy?
Are there any places in SoCal that would be a good starting point besides diving right into the city?
Should I just drop everything and go?
What are my REAL options?
Any other young people with a big move in your future? Or any other young people who have managed a big move while finances were an issue?
Are there any opportunities that I could take advantage of in California while I'm out-of-state?
Any tips, advice and suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2016, 01:52 PM

8,452 posts, read 13,982,258 times
Why not get your vet tech degree right there?
Metropolitan Community College :: Degree Programs :: Veterinary Technology

Old 03-14-2016, 03:47 PM

901 posts, read 1,073,826 times
Just want to say that if you do not wind up making the move to CA due to finances, you should not feel bad, and know that it would be reasonable, because it is not wise to take major financial risks and the LA region is one of the most expensive in the US.

I think the most important thing would be for you to go where you have a network of friends, people who can help give you support. If you have some friends in the LA area, that makes it a little more worthwhile. But if you don't have anyone you're close to in CA, I don't think it is worth it at all - in fact, the financial pressures could make it much worse if things go wrong and you're tapped out, with no couches to sleep on.

You can always come to the state a little bit later on, once you are established on a path of some kind.

Old 03-14-2016, 03:50 PM

7,525 posts, read 6,325,635 times
Also, this site will explain the Federal financial aid available to help you pay for college (any college): https://studentaid.ed.gov/sa/

The state of Kansas also has some financial aid programs, which you can find out about here: Student Financial Aid

I agree with nightlysparrow -- look into getting your Vet Tech degree at a community college or public U in Kansas first.

In order to qualify for instate tuition at California public community colleges and universities, you'll need to be a full time resident here for a year before you can start college. Why waste a year? Look into getting your Vet Tech in Kansas and then consider moving here.

Call the Community College nightlysparrow has linked to -- they will have counselors who can help you figure out the financial aid side of things.

That said, Vet Techs don't make a ton of money, so it might not be the best choice of career if you want to live comfortably in California. I would not recommend taking on a lot of student debt to become a Vet Tech for this reason.

Good luck!

Old 03-14-2016, 09:03 PM

892 posts, read 757,263 times
I'd contact your family and ask them - tell them you want to move to California and you need help and suggestions. Why strangers on CD over them? They may know someone your age in the same boat, they can get you together and both of you can find a place together.

Watts is an incredibly impoverished area, and it still is. I'm assuming you're black, Watts still has a lot of black sections, but it's increasingly becoming Mexican (like all the poor/working class areas of LA). But if you move to Watts, besides better weather you won't be living the typical 'California' lifestyle.

Old 03-15-2016, 07:41 PM

289 posts, read 582,238 times
You're priced out

Old 03-16-2016, 12:41 PM

RE: Thanks for wishing me luck! Veterinary Technician is only the first stop on my career destination so no worries there. I have spoken with a few veterinarians and they agreed that it would be a smart idea for me to start as a Vet Tech and then graduate into my other dreams, this is why I wanted to take the route of Veterinary Technician first. This does seem like a great idea though, however, my fear is I will be stuck living in Kansas for much longer than I have planned! Also, college here won't help me in the savings department at all. These are the things that I keep tossing back and forth in my mind. I've also been lead to believe that the Vet Tech certification varies across states, this is something that I will be do a bit more research on myself.

Thank you for your advice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RosieSD View Post
Also, this site will explain the Federal financial aid available to help you pay for college (any college): https://studentaid.ed.gov/sa/

The state of Kansas also has some financial aid programs, which you can find out about here: Student Financial Aid

I agree with nightlysparrow -- look into getting your Vet Tech degree at a community college or public U in Kansas first.

In order to qualify for instate tuition at California public community colleges and universities, you'll need to be a full time resident here for a year before you can start college. Why waste a year? Look into getting your Vet Tech in Kansas and then consider moving here.

Call the Community College nightlysparrow has linked to -- they will have counselors who can help you figure out the financial aid side of things.

That said, Vet Techs don't make a ton of money, so it might not be the best choice of career if you want to live comfortably in California. I would not recommend taking on a lot of student debt to become a Vet Tech for this reason.

Good luck!

Old 03-16-2016, 12:47 PM

RE: Believe me Majami, that was the first thing that I tried. I tried any and all of the family that I know of in the state of California but nobody could or was willing to help. Unfortunately, that's just how my family is. I even had my grandma help me reach out to family members that I've never met before and we had no luck. Watts is not my ideal place to live, I was just wanted to mention that that is where I'm from. Like mentioned in the original post, my ideal place to live would be Torrance, California or the surrounding Redondo area. Though, I am open to most places in SoCal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Majami View Post
I'd contact your family and ask them - tell them you want to move to California and you need help and suggestions. Why strangers on CD over them? They may know someone your age in the same boat, they can get you together and both of you can find a place together.

Watts is an incredibly impoverished area, and it still is. I'm assuming you're black, Watts still has a lot of black sections, but it's increasingly becoming Mexican (like all the poor/working class areas of LA). But if you move to Watts, besides better weather you won't be living the typical 'California' lifestyle.

Old 03-16-2016, 12:59 PM

RE: Thanks for the advice! The thing is, I want to start my life and settle in California. My fear is that I will get stuck In Kansas by work and school. Plenty of my coworkers tell me that I'm young so I should get up and do it now especially for school. Obviously if I plan on doing things like becoming a veterinarian, I have years of school ahead of me. I have a few family members that can help with moral support but they can't personally take in a twenty-one year old with two cats. However, the people are not what draws me to California. It's my home state and I miss it! I miss the weather, the beaches, the palm trees and the overall atmosphere of being home. There's no place like home! I was there last year for my birthday and cried like a baby when I had to leave. As you would imagine, Kansas City and Los Angeles are two totally different planets, so I definitely feel out of place and unhappy here, I always have. Thanks again for the advice though, I'm weighing all options and taking everything into consideration.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck5000 View Post
Just want to say that if you do not wind up making the move to CA due to finances, you should not feel bad, and know that it would be reasonable, because it is not wise to take major financial risks and the LA region is one of the most expensive in the US.

I think the most important thing would be for you to go where you have a network of friends, people who can help give you support. If you have some friends in the LA area, that makes it a little more worthwhile. But if you don't have anyone you're close to in CA, I don't think it is worth it at all - in fact, the financial pressures could make it much worse if things go wrong and you're tapped out, with no couches to sleep on.

You can always come to the state a little bit later on, once you are established on a path of some kind.

Old 03-17-2016, 04:27 PM

958 posts, read 1,034,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliCarm94 View Post
RE: Thanks for the advice! The thing is, I want to start my life and settle in California. My fear is that I will get stuck In Kansas by work and school. Plenty of my coworkers tell me that I'm young so I should get up and do it now especially for school. Obviously if I plan on doing things like becoming a veterinarian, I have years of school ahead of me. I have a few family members that can help with moral support but they can't personally take in a twenty-one year old with two cats. However, the people are not what draws me to California. It's my home state and I miss it! I miss the weather, the beaches, the palm trees and the overall atmosphere of being home. There's no place like home! I was there last year for my birthday and cried like a baby when I had to leave. As you would imagine, Kansas City and Los Angeles are two totally different planets, so I definitely feel out of place and unhappy here, I always have. Thanks again for the advice though, I'm weighing all options and taking everything into consideration.
understand why you miss la and why you hate kansas... not hard to figure out. However, i would point out that there is A LOT of country between those two extremes. I would research some other places around the country. La is probably just too expensive at this point for you... and the cats will eliminate a huge percentage of rental options. Best of wishes!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California