Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2016, 06:53 PM

774 posts, read 1,857,502 times

Advertisements

Sorry if that sounds toxic.
It does. I certainly have no bias against Italians... whom we all own a lot to.

I was struggling to hint at Organized Crime influencers. The Mafia.
People don't realize it, but they used to be (and perhaps still are) the largest land owners in Contra Costa County. They were influential in developing Hilltop Mall ... but of course, the once quaint city of Richmond had to be literally destroyed.

A small, minor incident was contrived and used as an excuse to lift the insurance policies of ALL the businesses downtown Richmond so they could move up to Hilltop. Now, Hilltop is a very tired, worn-out mall with torn carpets and that once-loved city is a wasteland. Banks, movie theaters, bowling alleys, department stores... all gone. (A garbage can was set on fire and kicked over at the bottom of Macdonald Avenue. These were the days when, "White Flight" was in full fling and places like Concord were off limits to "minorities.")

The decisions made by the Oakland City Council not to dredge the harbor once the super tankers began being built sealed the deal. And yes, "rich" ... hill dwellers ... as well as the well documented Marin County speculator types were--as they are now-- involved. (That's why all the manufacturing jobs went up to Washington and so many Californians followed.)

So you can keep your "wounded sensitivities" and ... well... I won't say the rest...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2016, 07:57 PM

6,906 posts, read 8,275,166 times
Sacramento as very nice weather 11 3/4 months out of the year. It has not been "hot" since last July.

In fact, when 3/4 of the nation is baking in heat on a typical summer evening. Sacramento is one of a handful of larger cities that averages cool and comfortable summer nights and mornings.

Old 03-18-2016, 08:15 PM

21,736 posts, read 16,350,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by veganwriter View Post
The web is an active demonstration that the psychological aspects of, "Projection, Transference, and Counter-transference" occur moment-by-moment.
Yes! And aren't you lucky you get to feed it straight lines!

Quote:
If I'd have known I was going to attract this kind of response, I'd have included a few more...
  • Trolls... ("Troll Nation")
  • Those in Denial
  • Mental Patients
  • Pot-heads angry that they're still living in their parent's basement
  • Those crippled with Personality Disorders...

I should have included Klu Klux Klan members and Biker gangs in a few others.)
And you do realize you just increased the large percentage of the entire nation you previously described, right? Couple more stereotypes and you'll have profiled many if not most counties in all 50 states.

Quote:

PS: It's getting harder and harder to read a mature response these days.
And yet, admit it, you are magically drawn to us. Accept it. Our relationship is fate. Oh, the mystery!

Old 03-19-2016, 07:41 AM

732 posts, read 968,697 times
Quote:
The way the California thread is structured, it's almost like it's presumed that California stops at the Bay Area. I rarely read about the REAL "Northern California."

While beautiful, the area between ... UC Davis and the Oregon state line seems to be populations of:
  • CONSERVATIVE bigots
  • Farmers
  • Weed addicts (and druggies)
  • Affluent snobs
  • A few pockets of "cool hippies"
  • Christian Suburbanites
  • Rich Italian grape growers
I'm sure there's a lot more to that huge area, but it tends to be so quiet that it remains unknown.
Anyone care to provide insight about that large area?

Could a person from the Bay Area who is used to diversity find a safe, non-toxic place to "be" up there?

Sacramento is too hot and Fairfield seems dead.
There are all those lovely towns nestled in the Redwoods, but there's a "keep out" kind of vibe to many of them.

It's sad what's happened to larger, attractive small cities like, Ukiah, Eureka, Arcata, and Oreville.
Once quaint and attractive, they seem to have sunk into quagmires of drug addiction and crime. No?

The area North and East of Trinadad seems to be populated by prison guards and Bundy-type rednecks.

It SOUNDS like even places like Santa Rosa, seems like they've become home to gangs.

What is myth, what is rumor, and what is the truth of the real, "North-Northern California?"
I agreed with your rant posts of the ruination of SF and lamentation for the awesome eras of SF we lived in in past decades, but this threat of yours is so full of bigotry toward so many groups of people over very petty differences, I find this thread a big disappointment.

Old 03-20-2016, 12:09 AM

386 posts, read 797,519 times
The truth is the counties north of Napa, Sonoma and Sacramento are "welfare" counties: they receive more Fed and State money than they contribute because they do not have any industries, manufacturing or other jobs to provide any tax revenue. At one time they relied on natural resources to provide jobs such as forestry, mining and fishing. Due to a variety of reasons (not just owls and saving salmon) these jobs have disappeared. As a result the population is small and poor with all the problems that accompany poverty.

Old 06-15-2016, 01:09 AM

7,733 posts, read 6,462,510 times
A vegan who looks down on others. What a shock.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California