Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2016, 07:49 PM

21,734 posts, read 16,337,681 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
OMG! Jerry Brown a centrist? He might look like a centrist to a far left liberal like himself. Everything he's done has been for the benefit of illegals including drivers licenses and support for sanctuary cities, letting criminals out of jail early. He's never even been in the slightest way a centrist. He has to limit at least some of his spending or else CA would be run into the ground again.
Jerry Brown is popular because he's just as liberal as are 80 percent of the people that live in this state.

BTW, Arnold was a liberal type of Republican. He was elected because people love him for his movies and everyone knows who he is. CA hasn't had a Republican senator in decades and one of the most liberal Senators in the US Senate is Barbara Boxer. The CA legislature is dominated by liberal democrats with no hope of changing in the near future.
CA is about as blue as blue could ever be. It is a lost cause to try to win any national elections in this state. It's gone bye bye. People here vote in masses for democrats like Barbara Boxer and will vote in huge numbers for Hillary. Voters here really don't look at the individual candidates. They blindly vote for the Democrat like lemmings running off a cliff. I don't think a democrat that is convicted of murdering their mother could lose a state wide election here.
Other than a few small areas in the Central Valley and desert areas CA is overwhelmingly liberal leftist in a big way.
OK, I got that off my chest and feel better. Thank you!
Well, you are certainly welcome! Silly as it was for you to keep that all bottled up inside. Poor guy! Feel free to vent anytme! That what we're here for! And don't hold off on the prune juice next time! Just let 'er rip!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2016, 10:32 PM

8,342 posts, read 6,425,125 times
Marino 760 is absolutely right, I couldn't have said it better.

Old 03-22-2016, 11:08 PM

30,896 posts, read 36,949,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phrogg View Post
Liberalness overstated? On the whole, not at all. There are conservative areas, to be sure, but they're outmanned by the vast numbers of liberals. There are places where it's hard even to be a moderate without encountering outright hostility for eating a cheeseburger, not hating "the 1%", etc.
That cheeseburger reference was a bit of hyperbole, but the general assessment is correct. What would be considered moderate in most of the U.S. is considered "right wing nut job" by a fairly large minority in the Bay Area. Other parts of the state (such as SoCal) aren't quite as liberal and are usually not as smug/superior/in your face about it as folks in the Bay Area.

Old 03-23-2016, 12:02 PM

13,561 posts, read 10,353,441 times
Quote:
OMG! Jerry Brown a centrist? He might look like a centrist to a far left liberal like himself. Everything he's done has been for the benefit of illegals including drivers licenses and support for sanctuary cities, letting criminals out of jail early. He's never even been in the slightest way a centrist. He has to limit at least some of his spending or else CA would be run into the ground again.
Jerry Brown is popular because he's just as liberal as are 80 percent of the people that live in this state.

BTW, Arnold was a liberal type of Republican. He was elected because people love him for his movies and everyone knows who he is. CA hasn't had a Republican senator in decades and one of the most liberal Senators in the US Senate is Barbara Boxer. The CA legislature is dominated by liberal democrats with no hope of changing in the near future.
CA is about as blue as blue could ever be. It is a lost cause to try to win any national elections in this state. It's gone bye bye. People here vote in masses for democrats like Barbara Boxer and will vote in huge numbers for Hillary. Voters here really don't look at the individual candidates. They blindly vote for the Democrat like lemmings running off a cliff. I don't think a democrat that is convicted of murdering their mother could lose a state wide election here.
Other than a few small areas in the Central Valley and desert areas CA is overwhelmingly liberal leftist in a big way.
OK, I got that off my chest and feel better. Thank you!
Glad you feel better.

Actually, the state is far better off today fiscally since the state Republicans lost the ability to block the budget despite being a minority.

Arnold was able to get elected initially because of the big recall election of Davis back in the early noughts. He'd probably not make it out of a standard Republican primary today because he's considered "too liberal" by the state GOP these days, which has made itself irrelevant politically. And despite his considerable charisma, in retrospect he wasn't really able to effect much change and solve the budgetary issues.

But keep believing what you want. I guess you don't let facts get in the way of your beliefs.

Old 03-23-2016, 12:08 PM

17,341 posts, read 11,271,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverkris View Post
Glad you feel better.

Actually, the state is far better off today fiscally since the state Republicans lost the ability to block the budget despite being a minority.

Arnold was able to get elected initially because of the big recall election of Davis back in the early noughts. He'd probably not make it out of a standard Republican primary today because he's considered "too liberal" by the state GOP these days, which has made itself irrelevant politically. And despite his considerable charisma, in retrospect he wasn't really able to effect much change and solve the budgetary issues.

But keep believing what you want. I guess you don't let facts get in the way of your beliefs.
I certainly will continue to believe what I believe but that said, I don't see where I contradicted anything you stated. I did say Arnold was considered a "liberal" republican and I didn't bash Brown for his fiscal policies, and I never said the state was not better off today regarding the budget so I don't get where you're coming from.

Old 03-23-2016, 01:14 PM

13,561 posts, read 10,353,441 times
Quote:
I certainly will continue to believe what I believe but that said, I don't see where I contradicted anything you stated. I did say Arnold was considered a "liberal" republican and I didn't bash Brown for his fiscal policies, and I never said the state was not better off today regarding the budget so I don't get where you're coming from.
So then why are you ranting about California being a "far left" state, as if that is a bad thing?

Old 03-23-2016, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverkris View Post
So then why are you ranting about California being a "far left" state, as if that is a bad thing?
I won't go into details because it's pointless. I do wish it were a more balanced state where someone other than a Democrat occasionally had a chance of winning an election. For example I personally believe it would be beneficial to have at least one Republican Senator and not have everything be a Democratic monopoly. I don't agree with the illegal alien situation here, but again that's me. California is "far left" any way you slice it for better or for worse compared to the rest of the country.
But again, I won't go into other issues or details because it's pointless and I don't enjoy beating a dead horse.

Old 03-23-2016, 05:32 PM

Quote:
California is "far left" any way you slice it for better or for worse compared to the rest of the country.
But again, I won't go into other issues or details because it's pointless and I don't enjoy beating a dead horse.
Umm. California is a "Blue State" for sure. Yes. But, most surveys of liberal / conservative regions don't rank California as "far left" at all. Pretty much doesn't even make it into the "Top Ten" category. For example: The 10 Most Liberal States In The U.S. - Business Insider

That's no horse you're beating.

Old 03-23-2016, 06:16 PM

It all depends on which source you wish to use.

The 5 most liberal states | TheHill. Here it's not only in the top 10, it's #4.

Old 03-23-2016, 06:31 PM

Quote:
It all depends on which source you wish to use.

The 5 most liberal states | TheHill. Here it's not only in the top 10, it's #4.
Yes. Very good. Survey a number of surveys. Average them out. See whether California is "far left any way you slice it". It's Blue. Not Midnight Blue.

Check out this assessment:
Quote:
If colors represent the political bent of the states, 47 of the 50 would appear to be on fire with a conservative red glow, and just three would radiate a glacial blue liberal light – so says a recent Gallup poll.

A Closer LookCutting through the chase, only Massachusetts, Vermont and Hawaii have a higher percentage of citizens who consider themselves "liberal" than "conservative," but their liberal advantage margins are only by a narrow percentage — each less than five percent. (See related story from Gallup)Gallup's got America's number: Conservative states, 47 ... liberal states, 3
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California