Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2016, 07:36 PM

17,266 posts, read 11,117,260 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
Yes. Very good. Survey a number of surveys. Average them out. See whether California is "far left any way you slice it". It's Blue. Not Midnight Blue.
Well, like I said. It won't matter what sources I post, it will be equivalent of beating a dead horse because no matter what sources I give you, you'll refute it. I found at least half a dozen sources saying CA is one of the most liberal states in just 2 minutes, so I'll leave it at that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2016, 07:52 PM

21,592 posts, read 16,119,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
Well, like I said. It won't matter what sources I post, it will be equivalent of beating a dead horse because no matter what sources I give you, you'll refute it. I found at least half a dozen sources saying CA is one of the most liberal states in just 2 minutes, so I'll leave it at that.
Lol. I didn't say it isn't liberal. I stated clearly, twice, that it definitely is. I point out your hyperbole calling it "far left". And the Gallup poll I just cited two posts back pretty much tells that story lock, stock, and barrel.

Like I said also, that isn't a horse you're beating.

Old 03-23-2016, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Lol. I didn't say it isn't liberal. I stated clearly, twice, that it definitely is. I point out your hyperbole calling it "far left". And the Gallup poll I just cited two posts back pretty much tells that story lock, stock, and barrel.

Like I said also, that isn't a horse you're beating.
The difference between your source and mine is that your source is a gallop poll. People can call themselves conservative but that doesn't mean they are. I know you'll disagree and that's fine, but to many people the word "liberal" has a more negative connotation than the word "conservative". Therefore, more people tend to call themselves conservative when asked.
The source I posted has nothing to do with how people feel about themselves. It's reflects actual voting records regarding how many liberal vs conservative representatives a state has, how many Presidents of either party the people of the state has elected and how many senators of either party were elected. By that standard CA is #4 in the country which in my opinion makes it far left when you consider there are another 46 states ahead of it that vote more moderate or conservative.
People in CA have called themselves conservative for decades but their voting records say otherwise. CA was a conservative state at one time a few decades ago and has become more liberal with each year. In another decade it may even be in the top 1 or 2 on the list. That's fine by the way and something to be proud of if you're liberal. If CA were #4 in it's conservative voting record, I wouldn't feel the need to disagree. I'd be rather proud of it.
This isn't by the way, a rant about which is better conservative or liberal, I'm just making a point regarding the original question of this thread.

Old 03-23-2016, 08:45 PM

21,592 posts, read 16,119,314 times
Quote:
The difference between your source and mine is that your source is a gallop poll. People can call themselves conservative but that doesn't mean they are. I know you'll disagree and that's fine, but to many people the word "liberal" has a more negative connotation than the word "conservative". Therefore, more people tend to call themselves conservative when asked.
The source I posted has nothing to do with how people feel about themselves. It's reflects actual voting records regarding how many liberal vs conservative representatives a state has, how many Presidents of either party the people of the state has elected and how many senators of either party were elected. By that standard CA is #4 in the country which in my opinion makes it far left when you consider there are another 46 states ahead of it that vote more moderate or conservative.
People in CA have called themselves conservative for decades but their voting records say otherwise. CA was a conservative state at one time a few decades ago and has become more liberal with each year. In another decade it may even be in the top 1 or 2 on the list. That's fine by the way and something to be proud of if you're liberal. If CA were #4 in it's conservative voting record, I wouldn't feel the need to disagree. I'd be rather proud of it.
This isn't by the way, a rant about which is better conservative or liberal, I'm just making a point regarding the original question of this thread.
I disagree that the term "liberal" has any more negative connotation to people than does "conservative".

Now, your reasoning - with regard to voting records and representatives - may seem reasonable, at face value. But it is flawed. In several ways. First up, review and averaging time frames need to be considered. For example, Democrat and Republican roles as conservative / liberal have been different in past eras and even to the point of reversing themselves altogether. Regional differences also come into play as with the old southern democrat traditions. But even if you limit your review to recent decades, you can't rely on mere party affiliation. A rather glaring contemporary example would be President Obama, whose administration has been barely liberal if at all on most issues and actions taken. Conversely, Schwartzenegger was barely what could pass for a conservative. Then there is the factor of what the quality of opposition was in various contests, and the nature of the local issues of importance to an electorate. The options and choices in elections aren't black and white. Free trade is a perfect example. To some of each persuasion, liberal and conservative, it is a good thing or a bad thing depending on how it affects their livelihood.

And, finally for this response, the reality of America is that it is becoming intensely more urban and more diverse every year. And those two factors always support a shift to more liberalism. This dilutes any claim to "far" left. California isn't particularly "far" left. Not much of America is. Vermont does come to mind, though! )

Old 03-24-2016, 12:19 AM

5,751 posts, read 2,758,550 times
Quote:
It all depends on which source you wish to use.

The 5 most liberal states | TheHill. Here it's not only in the top 10, it's #4.
And MN is number 2. Told you so.

Old 03-24-2016, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCbaxter View Post
And MN is number 2. Told you so.
Congratulations!!!

Old 03-24-2016, 08:49 AM

Quote:
I disagree that the term "liberal" has any more negative connotation to people than does "conservative".

Now, your reasoning - with regard to voting records and representatives - may seem reasonable, at face value. But it is flawed. In several ways. First up, review and averaging time frames need to be considered. For example, Democrat and Republican roles as conservative / liberal have been different in past eras and even to the point of reversing themselves altogether. Regional differences also come into play as with the old southern democrat traditions. But even if you limit your review to recent decades, you can't rely on mere party affiliation. A rather glaring contemporary example would be President Obama, whose administration has been barely liberal if at all on most issues and actions taken. Conversely, Schwartzenegger was barely what could pass for a conservative. Then there is the factor of what the quality of opposition was in various contests, and the nature of the local issues of importance to an electorate. The options and choices in elections aren't black and white. Free trade is a perfect example. To some of each persuasion, liberal and conservative, it is a good thing or a bad thing depending on how it affects their livelihood.

And, finally for this response, the reality of America is that it is becoming intensely more urban and more diverse every year. And those two factors always support a shift to more liberalism. This dilutes any claim to "far" left. California isn't particularly "far" left. Not much of America is. Vermont does come to mind, though! )
The fact that you think President Obama has been barely liberal or at all says alot. Regardless, of course you are going to refute every source I post which is what I expected you to do. It doesn't change the fact that out of 50 states, CA ranks 46 in how liberal it's population votes for it's representatives. You can't change the facts as much as you would like to.

Old 03-24-2016, 10:43 AM

8,259 posts, read 6,319,504 times
Telemutt doesn't think California is liberal, Good Grief.

Old 03-24-2016, 11:18 AM

807 posts, read 892,548 times
Quote:
The fact that you think President Obama has been barely liberal or at all says alot. Regardless, of course you are going to refute every source I post which is what I expected you to do. It doesn't change the fact that out of 50 states, CA ranks 46 in how liberal it's population votes for it's representatives. You can't change the facts as much as you would like to.
Hey, anyone else can do that too: "The fact that you think President Obama is very liberal or at all says a lot."

While facts don't change, one can certainly change the perspective in which those facts are presented. When a concerted effort to pull the tone of the entire country farther right has succeeded, it is absolutely possible that far left in America today equates to far right in an America of yesterday.

The U.S. is a dynamic and frequently moving nation, if we weren't we would've stagnated into inconsequence decades ago. Hence the point that while California is liberal compared to the rest of the nation today, it is hardly super-liberal. Some people just need that straw man to beat because they otherwise couldn't stay united for a common cause. Distinguishing between shades of gray is inconvenient to that end.

Old 03-24-2016, 11:22 AM

3,477 posts, read 6,470,512 times
No. California is as liberal as Oklahoma is conservative. Its a valid assessment. I wouldn't want to live in any state that is that unbalanced one way or the other... but unfortunately I do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California