Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which summer had better weather at the beaches?
Coldest summer on record (2010) 6 50.00%
Warmest summer on record (2015) 6 50.00%
Voters: 12. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2016, 08:07 PM

3,212 posts, read 3,173,082 times

Advertisements

For those of you on or near the coast, which summer weather did you like better? 2010 (coldest summer) or 2015 (warmest summer).

Summer of 2010 was the coldest summer in recorded history on the Southern California coastline with many days not getting above 70 on our beaches. Marine layer usually hung around the whole day through much of July and August although there was one very powerful heat wave in September that set an all time record for the hottest temperature ever recorded in Los Angeles.

Summer of 2015 was the warmest summer in recorded history on the Southern California coastline (and ironically the wettest considering that most rain is associated with below normal temperatures here) with many nights not getting below 70 as an overnight low. Marine layer was very strong in June but was pretty much non-existent from July through September.

Which summer do you say had better weather at the beaches?
(I decided to include June through October in the data which was taken right at the coast; of course, inland was significantly warmer during the day in 2010 but nighttime lows were similar throughout the area. In 2015, there was much less of a coast-inland gap with only slightly warmer days inland on most days).

A) Summer of 2010

or
[b]
B) Summer of 2015

Attached Thumbnails
Which coastal weather did you like better? 2010 (coldest summer) or 2015 (warmest summer)-sandiego2010.jpg   Which coastal weather did you like better? 2010 (coldest summer) or 2015 (warmest summer)-sandiego2015.jpg  

Last edited by Count David; 03-21-2016 at 03:39 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2016, 11:21 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,480,254 times
Well, everything is relative. Talking about the entire coast, it's never too hot or cold in Del Norte County on the ocean.

Old 03-21-2016, 05:55 AM

286 posts, read 294,875 times
I'm not from la , only been there once so aside from the general idea of no winters and low humidity I know nothing of your weather .

But I was in la in feburary 2016 and I went to Venice beach and the boardwalk it was like 60 overcast and dreary and a slight drizzle and windy , I loved it I didn't want to leave , so whatever that weather is I want it haja

Old 03-21-2016, 06:30 AM

892 posts, read 859,006 times
I wasn't there for the summer of 2015 but the temperatures look nice.

2010 is actually the summer that made me want to leave Southern California once and for all. I always kind of complained we had chilly nights for too much of the year but at least I had our summers to look forward to.

In the beginning of 2010, a couple things happened. 1) I went to Miami in March and was shocked how warm and beautiful it was even in March! I completely wasn't expecting that. 2) In May I closed on a house on sunset cliffs, in San Diego. I'd be fully moved in by June.

My oceanfront house was beautiful with great views of the Pacific but every single day in June and even July was grey, cold, grey, cold, grey cold. It literally drove me to depression. I could not justify myself the sticker price of home for such a climate, a cold un-inviting ocean. I took many vacations that summer, I barely stayed in my house at all. I went to Costa Rica, stayed with a friend who had a house there. I went to Peru and Colombia and went to the Amazon.

Summer of 2011 wasn't much better, it was better but not by much. Then I was already in the talks with a real-estate agent out in Miami Beach, when I found out there was no state income tax in Florida, it sealed the deal. I sold and never looked back.

Old 03-21-2016, 05:36 PM

3,212 posts, read 3,173,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Majami View Post
I wasn't there for the summer of 2015 but the temperatures look nice.

2010 is actually the summer that made me want to leave Southern California once and for all. I always kind of complained we had chilly nights for too much of the year but at least I had our summers to look forward to.

In the beginning of 2010, a couple things happened. 1) I went to Miami in March and was shocked how warm and beautiful it was even in March! I completely wasn't expecting that. 2) In May I closed on a house on sunset cliffs, in San Diego. I'd be fully moved in by June.

My oceanfront house was beautiful with great views of the Pacific but every single day in June and even July was grey, cold, grey, cold, grey cold. It literally drove me to depression. I could not justify myself the sticker price of home for such a climate, a cold un-inviting ocean. I took many vacations that summer, I barely stayed in my house at all. I went to Costa Rica, stayed with a friend who had a house there. I went to Peru and Colombia and went to the Amazon.

Summer of 2011 wasn't much better, it was better but not by much. Then I was already in the talks with a real-estate agent out in Miami Beach, when I found out there was no state income tax in Florida, it sealed the deal. I sold and never looked back.
2010 and 2011 were strong La Niña years with below normal temperatures on the California coastline. 2012 and 2013 were both better by a decent margin but 2014 and 2015 have totally been by FAR the best summers I've experienced on the Southern California coastline; SSTs well into the 70s from July through October with a few bouts approaching 80. Balmy nights warm enough for midnight swims and most days were in the 80s with nighttime lows in the upper 60s to mid 70s. The cooler days were just restricted to June. The downside is that the humidity meant sleepless nights for many on the coast where homes often don't have AC.

As El Niño flips into La Niña, it will be the big test to see if we are really into a long term "warm epoch" with this pattern lasting for years to come or if La Niña cools off our oceans drastically. I am predicting one of two bi-model outcomes rather than a normal year or something in between.

Outcome A ) The Equatorial Pacific cools off but our Southern California SST remain above normal throughout summer and fall and this will be our "new normal"- warmer SST year round with warmer temperatures year round with drier winters but wetter summers (both in terms of humidity levels and occasional warm rain).

OR

Outcome B) What goes up comes down in a big way and the California coastline cools down BIG TIME as we head into a Super La Niña meaning the summer of 2016 and 2017 will be similar to 2010 and 2011 with cool SST, lingering marine layer and cooler than normal temperatures except for the occasional (dry) heat wave with Santa Ana winds bringing hot days with cool nights.

One thing I must warm you about La Niña is that it greatly increases the hurricane activity in Florida so you might get hit hard this summer or fall and being that you live in the beach, you better have hurricane insurance for your luxury Condo and evacuation plans. You guys are long overdue.

Old 03-21-2016, 06:32 PM

892 posts, read 859,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABrandNewWorld View Post
One thing I must warm you about La Niña is that it greatly increases the hurricane activity in Florida so you might get hit hard this summer or fall and being that you live in the beach, you better have hurricane insurance for your luxury Condo and evacuation plans. You guys are long overdue.
That's what they say,

During the summer/fall I'm in Europe. I usually leave July or August and come back December. My association will take care of hurricane proofing my condo - of concern are the floor to ceiling glass windows that wrap the entire condominium.

I remember last year we had such a dry summer, things were starting to turn a ugly brown. I was wishing for a hurricane to correct our rain deficit. While I was in Spain, Miami had a miss with a weak hurricane, just brought a couple days of heavy rain. We did make up for our rain deficit this December and January, 10" in each month.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California